SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:17 PM
United States, MI, Lake Orion
Joined Feb 2004
293 Posts
I do fly at Bald mountain with Skymasters.Infact I was the CD for the event for the past few years.Where do you fly?The Bellanca is on the back burner while I work out some design issues with the Caudron C561.Then I will get back to it.Joe
sarkantyu is offline Find More Posts by sarkantyu
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:13 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarkantyu View Post
I do fly at Bald mountain with Skymasters.Infact I was the CD for the event for the past few years.Where do you fly?The Bellanca is on the back burner while I work out some design issues with the Caudron C561.Then I will get back to it.Joe
I do most of my flying off a local ball diamond. Have been thinking of letting my Skymasters membership go, since I joined the Romeo Skyhawks, and have been flying there. Though it's a little further to drive, The Skyhawks have a very nice field.
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:57 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Looking forward to the aluminum clad nose...
From time to time I must stop doing the swirls to insert an awl into the center of the brush to splay it out a little. This seems to help with the dark circles. Keeping the dremel perpendicular to the table is important as well. I'm thinking that the individual wires in the brush must be able to move as it turns. It may be, that the wires become fixed amongst themselves, not moving. This may be the cause of the dark circles. Then again, I'm just guessing.
Last edited by phillip57; Jan 30, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:25 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
It could be that the wire ends become sharp or irregular with use. I ran the brush on 600 grit emery paper in a circular motion, tilting the dremel from side to side. A portion of the sheet was re-sanded. The line above the thumb is after the 600 grit dressing. We may have found the trick.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:33 PM
a.k.a. skcope
Trumbull, CT
Joined Feb 2007
317 Posts
Have you tried a pencil eraser? Chock a pencil in an electric drill eraser side down and you can make swirls that way. A drill press is great if you have access to one. I have also glued small swatches of Scotchbrite pads to the end of a dowel with epoxy and had decent results.
-Scott
AVGDAY is online now Find More Posts by AVGDAY
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:09 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skcope View Post
Have you tried a pencil eraser? Chock a pencil in an electric drill eraser side down and you can make swirls that way. A drill press is great if you have access to one. I have also glued small swatches of Scotchbrite pads to the end of a dowel with epoxy and had decent results.
-Scott
Perhaps I should look into getting a press stand for the dremel. I really like the look the brush makes when it is working right. If I change tooling in mid stream, the result may not match up with the cowl.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:27 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
This one isn't so bad...
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:00 AM
a.k.a. skcope
Trumbull, CT
Joined Feb 2007
317 Posts
That panel looks good! I'm sure in reality, the real Spirit of St. Louis had some irregularities in the swirl pattern. I believe the burnishing of the cowl was done with the cowl in place on the aircraft to hide dents and tool marks. Undoubtedly it wasn't perfect. Yours looks very authentic!
-Scott
AVGDAY is online now Find More Posts by AVGDAY
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:24 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Thanks Scott, In the Jimmy Stewart film, during the manufacturing scene, a worker is seen on a drill press doing the "engine turning" on a sheet of aluminum. The process intending to conceal irregularities. No doubt, the sheet had to be hammered in places.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:41 AM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Must let the dremel cool off... lots of other things to do.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:15 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,239 Posts
Photo is showing a fair amount of erm... building/covering issues.
Bare is online now Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:21 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Since there is no hurry, I'm going to keep on making these skins, I need 6 all together. Just keep making them until there are 6 good ones, they don't take that long, really....
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:24 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,651 Posts
Last edited by phillip57; Feb 01, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:25 PM
Tally Ho Chaps!
United Kingdom, England, Ipswich
Joined Mar 2012
453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Photo is showing a fair amount of erm... building/covering issues.
Feedback is always useful, but it is only of any value if it is specific.
How about a little explanation Bare!
Chompwat is offline Find More Posts by Chompwat