HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:39 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,854 Posts
Well I haven't been able to get my Hero3 WiFi remote to work. It won't turn on because it doesn't have enough charge, and when I plug it into the USB port to charge, the screen scrambles and then it won't charge. Fiddled with it for 20 minutes trying different things. Bizarre behavior. I may have to charge it on a car adapter for now.

Anybody know if you have to update firmware on the wi-fi remote to get it to work with the camera after the camera has been updated? If so, how?

I can get the iPad App to recognize the camera and control the settings, as well as start & stop recordings, but it won't let me get a live preview on the iPad screen. That's a bummer.

I'm sure it'll all get worked out. Being an early adopter is always a little bit painful.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:51 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
I didn't update the wifi remote and seems to work and charge fine.

For the iOS app, gopro will be giving it full functionality in "Winter 2012", so very soon
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:59 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,639 Posts
Didn't have to do anything special with the wifi remote.
First time through, I added it in the camera's wifi menus (probably didn't need to),
powered up the remote and they found each other.
Since then, I hit the wifi button on the side of the camera to turn on the wifi radio,
hit the power/mode button on the remote, it turns on and is happy.

USB charging the wifi remote went ok, but I did do it off a usb charger block, not my computer.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Feb 2012
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasberg View Post
I'm uploading a bunch of clips.
My new thing is when I turn it off the battery indicator comes back on until I pull the battery. I also tried to film in 2.7K mode but it froze up and the file didn't save.

Also as I was going out the door to fly this cam I cought it on the door jam and broke 2 props. So I just slapped 2 new one props on unbalanced. So there is a silght jello-wiggle.
http://youtu.be/FA8GjNT5cVM
http://youtu.be/TWnXKmhAcsQ
Im not seeing much jello on those videos. How did 1080p 30 medium look on that quad with the GP2?
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:37 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,854 Posts
I charged up the dysfunctional remote separately and got it to charge.

Then I got out the second remote and tried charging it. No problem at all, it acted normal and showed a charging battery image on the screen. That's what I expected from the first one, but it went nuts and showed a pixel-scrambled screen, like random noise.

Weird.

I was able to sync a single remote both cameras and start them recording at the same time! That could come in super handy. I can't believe you can get 50 cameras synced with this thing, that's seriously cool.

I get the feeling that the default (non-ProTune) video is a bit darker than the Hero2. The blacks seem much blacker. I need to do some daylight tests tomorrow to make sure that is correct.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:32 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,639 Posts
It's not actually darker. The blacks (and even just darker areas) are just much much cleaner.
Very low sensor noise. I did a night flight last night, and another couple tonight and it's just a
really nice image. What it can and can't see, is pretty close to what my eyes can and can't
see (which is of course quite a lot less than what my flight camera sees).

A page or three back I posted a basic video showing a Hero2/Hero3 night time noise comparison.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:56 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,854 Posts
I just went over to a friends house and ran through the various size formats from 4k to 1080p, and I have to say, I really like the 2.7k image a lot. It scales down to 1080p nicely (same aspect), and can be heavily cropped if desired to take it from a wide angle back down to a medium FOV without losing any resolution. What that means for those of us editing freaks is you can film in 30fps ProTune, get a super clean image, do as much image stabilization as you want, and still have plenty of room to resize & crop to get a true 1080p image without any image quality degradation.

Here is a comparison of a 2.7k image sized down to 1080, next to the Hero2 in the same scene. Stupid RCGroups web engine recompression on the jpegs I'm uploading sucks big time. It really messes up the images, and truly makes it difficult to see just how significant a difference there is, but this gets you a pretty good idea. You have to double click to make them full size and drop them into Photoshop or something where you can toggle between them, or zoom in. If anybody wants the source images, let me know.

I thought I was going to like the 1440 size the best, but it's 4:3 instead of 16:9. 2.7 at 30fps combined with 1080p at 60fps on the Hero3 are looking like two really awesome formats to film in.

Ugh, morning can't get here soon enough!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:01 AM
Certified Crash Artist
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Feb 2011
152 Posts
Here are all my clips
1080 30p Wide
Gopro 3 Black 1080 30p Wide on Quadcopter (1 min 9 sec)

1080 60P Medium
Gopro Hero3 Black 1080 60p Med on Quadcopter (1 min 4 sec)

1080 60p Narrow
Gopro Hero3 Black 1080 60p Narrow on Quadcopter (1 min 3 sec)

720 120P wide
Gopro Hero3 Black 720 120p Wide on a Quadcopter (0 min 45 sec)

720 120p Narrow
Gopro Hero3 Black 720 120p Narrow on a quadcopter (0 min 40 sec)
Lucasberg is offline Find More Posts by Lucasberg
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:20 AM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Joined May 2010
25 Posts
Thanks guys...

So I got a blackedition from bestbuy without much problem, but with alot of luck...

At work today I decided to find out when retail locations would be getting the GoPro 3s in, and low and behold my old favorite forum RC Groups was on the top of the search list. Then how I find out best buy had early shipments of these babies, so I call best buy near work with no luck on the black edition. After work I decide to drive to the best buy anyways. No blacks in stock in the back, but ended up finding an open box in stock through the computers. Sticker said no damage, no missing accessories. All the accessories and batteries were steal sealed, So I bought it... FOR $60 bucks cheaper than the msrp. Long story short I paid for 1 year of warranty seeing that I'll be doing some FPV and could use some water damage insurance flying over the beach. But in the end even with insurance I paid less than the msrp... GOOD DEAL! Thanks you guys. Picture proof attached.
iDocRich is offline Find More Posts by iDocRich
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Dec 2002
163 Posts
Will Hero2 batteries work in Hero3 ?
rjpmodel is offline Find More Posts by rjpmodel
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:49 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,854 Posts
No, it's a completely different battery. And currently there are no aftermarket batteries for it, so you'll have to use the GoPro battery or else power it from your plane's system through the mini USB port. Extra batteries are $19.99.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:10 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,179 Posts
i dont want to hijack the thread, but to see the difference in the gopro 1 and 2 in low light, i did this little video tonight, both gopro`s are side by side on my gimbal.

Gopro 1 vs Gopro 2 low light (2 min 4 sec)
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:17 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,639 Posts
Hero HD is so hopeless in the dark, that I didn't really consider it for my comparison.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:21 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Hero HD is so hopeless in the dark, that I didn't really consider it for my comparison.
Yep, i made the video to show my wife why i need a GoPro 3.... my brother got a 2 2 months ago, i told her the 3 is even better than what she saw in my video !

please tell her i need a 3... lol
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:06 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,854 Posts
Best way to convince your wife to approve a Hero 3 purchase is to make it a non-issue for her financially. Just sell something you already have to come up with the money. Then she can't argue or complain.

That, or offer to do some chore she hates for a month. Or promise her a massage every night. I don't know, there have got to be dozens of ways to sway an gals opinion on the matter.

Get creative.

Because it's worth it. This camera is sweet.
RCG Plus Member