HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:16 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Yes.. all new GoPro3's need this firmware upgrade to enable 2.7k and 4k resolutions. I believe it might be a marketing ploy.. to register the serial and enter your email.

Either way.. it's easy to do. Hopefully it fixes the cold issue you've had
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:18 PM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
806 Posts
Hope it fixes your issue Ian
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Oct 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,078 Posts
It's looking good so far. Cooled it down to 25F, powered up and it's still going.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
I left home at 10 a.m. and just got back at 4 p.m. It took me that long, and some serious arm twisting, but I came home with 2 Hero3's!

I am so stinking excited!

There were some VERY unhappy people at the third Best Buy I got to. The first Best Buy had none, but showed 9 in stock at a nearby store. So I had them call & check to confirm. They said yes. I drove like a maniac there, and they actually only had one, which went immediately. The salesman had mistaken the black for the silver, of which they had 9. I was angry for the hour drive I took to get there, so I found the manager lady. She was cool and wanted to help. Had her check the state inventory and found only two left in the state. Had her call that store and reserve them for me... but not just reserve them, I had them put the H3's out of sight someplace back in the warehouse where nobody, not even the other store salesmen, could find them.

When I got to that store 1.5 hours later, there were three salesmen with three different customers looking for those two missing GoPro's. And they'd had another half dozen calls on the phone to reserve them. I found the clerk who hid my cameras and retrieved them to the SEVERE dismay of the other people waiting in the store, who were standing next to me when they handed them to me. They'd gotten there before me physically, but I walked out with the prize! I got some "I'm gonna kill you" glares and was careful walking to my car! Haha.

These suckers are gonna be in HIGH demand for the next few weeks.

Anyway, I'm off to do some video tests.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:20 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Nice work :-D
Don't forget to update the firmware first!
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2006
1,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
For anyone willing to test for the cold issue, just put your Hero3 in the freezer for 10 min (no longer).
I did it without the battery (battery stayed warm).
Then re-insert battery, power it up with the card in and wait a few seconds. Mine shows
the temp warning within 10 seconds, and shuts itself off.

ian
cold to warm..your creating moisture in the unit.. hense the shutdown..
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:32 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Hmm, I updated Cineform and then plugged in the first camera. It gives me no notice that the camera needs a firmware update. Normally Cineform does the firmware updates, but they've changed it.

Now you have to go to the Hero web site, go to support, and do the firmware update from their site directly.

http://gopro.com/support/product-reg...-hero3-cameras

Interesting. I'm gonna charge my camera for a bit first.

I'm super glad that Best Buy just happen to have two of the 64gig XD cards in stock, and were willing to price match Amazon. I ordered two from Amazon a week ago and they still haven't shown up, so I had to get two more. Hehe.

Talk about impatient!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:33 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barok View Post
cold to warm..your creating moisture in the unit.. hense the shutdown..
I was thinking the same thing. Sudden temperature changes like that could destroy a small camera like this due to rapid condensation inside the case.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:42 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,078 Posts
Nice theory, but that's not what happened the first time.
I was simply outside at night, and over the course of 45 minutes or so,
the camera cooled to ambient temp and then wouldn't stay on for more than
a few seconds. As I said, it was 46 degrees out, and the humidity
is very low here. Besides, doesn't form condensation unless case
is close to sealed, which it really isn't.

The firmware fix seems to have addressed the cold issue.
Still is locking up randomly. Second time on the charger for more than a couple hours,
and the red light stayed on, wouldn't go off even when I pulled USB plug,
and couldn't turn camera on. Had to pull the battery.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:45 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
I've had that overheating happen to me a few times Ian when leaving a Hero2 plugged into USB overnight. I actually killed one camera doing that, just fried it. It had a nice smoky smell to it.

Makes me wonder if some USB ports put out more power than others.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:40 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
So, do any other Hero3 owners find themselves babying their new cameras as if they were Faberge eggs?

I've destroyed so many Hero2's, I want this investment to last!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:14 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
I'm too busy making sure the wife still thinks it's the same Hero2
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:24 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,925 Posts
Wow. The ProTune RAW video dump is INCREDIBLE! I've always liked how the Hero2 managed color, but often got frustrated in editing when I wanted to CHANGE the color tone or white balance. This RAW dump gives the editor an incredible image to work with. Granted, using ProTune data, you'll have to man-handle every single shot... but at least you can CHOOSE how you want to go about it.

For Pro editing, this camera is gonna really make some people happy.

I'm surprised to see a white balance option in the menus. You can select AWB (Auto White Balance), or choose between a bunch of light ranges, or choose RAW (which I assume means no white balance at all). I'll have to fiddle with those.

The AWB on the Hero3 is a bit spastic. When I pointed at some green bushes, it really overcompensated for that wall of green, and when I looked away at cement, the cement was orangish red. Then when I looked at three orange pumpkins, it overcompensated so that when I again looked away to the cement the cement was purple. The Hero2 doesn't overcompensate like that. So I'm not sure what to think about that. I'll have to fiddle with the settings to see what works best.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wind_of_Change; Oct 23, 2012 at 08:35 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:32 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,894 Posts
Holy cr@p. bestbuy up here is $450.00. I won't be getting one soon.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:15 PM
Certified Crash Artist
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Feb 2011
166 Posts
I'm uploading a bunch of clips.
My new thing is when I turn it off the battery indicator comes back on until I pull the battery. I also tried to film in 2.7K mode but it froze up and the file didn't save.

Also as I was going out the door to fly this cam I cought it on the door jam and broke 2 props. So I just slapped 2 new one props on unbalanced. So there is a silght jello-wiggle.
Gopro 3 Black 1080 30p Wide on Quadcopter (1 min 9 sec)

Gopro Hero3 Black 1080 60p Med on Quadcopter (1 min 4 sec)
Lucasberg is offline Find More Posts by Lucasberg