HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:33 AM
USA, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2008
1,541 Posts
Something interesting regarding the codec

UN group OKs new video format to save bandwidth

GENEVA (AP) — The U.N. telecommunications agency says its members have agreed upon a new compression format that could dramatically cut the amount of Internet bandwidth currently used by video files.
The International Telecommunication Union says the format, or codec, known as H.265 would require just half the amount of data needed by its predecessor, H.264.
The Geneva-based agency says videos encoded using the H.264 format — which is favored by devices such as Apple's iPad — currently account for two-fifths of web traffic.
ITU said in a statement late Friday the new H.265 codec could pave the way for "the next wave of innovation," such as faster movie downloads and higher-quality video streaming.
http://news.yahoo.com/un-group-oks-v...--finance.html
tushev is online now Find More Posts by tushev
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:24 AM
Master of disaster
Polska, Śląskie, Zabrze
Joined May 2006
114 Posts
Hi, has anyone measured power consumption of Black on external power ???
bartwaw is offline Find More Posts by bartwaw
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:23 AM
Friend is a 4 letter word...
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Anyone here got the latest update for GP3 - as usual Gopro support sucks, and their support page is not working properly - I get all sorts of strange formatting when I go to the Product Update page...and when I choose Gopro3 in the dropdown menu, nothing happens.

Thanks in advance!
JussiH is offline Find More Posts by JussiH
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:50 AM
Spain, Valencia, V
Joined Nov 2007
244 Posts
I did the update a week ago, but I have to do it manually for my black edition. With the silver I had no problem.

By the way you are right and the gopro´s page is a dissaster now. Maybe they are uploading the new firmware free of bugs
moriwaky is online now Find More Posts by moriwaky
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:57 AM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriwaky View Post
I did the update a week ago, but I have to do it manually for my black edition. With the silver I had no problem.

By the way you are right and the gopro´s page is a dissaster now. Maybe they are uploading the new firmware free of bugs
Thanks, can you share some info on how to do the manual update...

A gopro firmware free of bugs - that would be a first
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:12 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Thanks, can you share some info on how to do the manual update...
Just unpack FW to root of SD card. Simple.

Anyone knows where to find changelog/fix list?
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:23 AM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
Just unpack FW to root of SD card. Simple.

Anyone knows where to find changelog/fix list?
Yes, but that would require that I could actually DL the update. Can someone post the latest update file here, thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 08:01 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JussiH View Post
Yes, but that would require that I could actually DL the update. Can someone post the latest update file here, thanks!
If you got serial number, then just put it here and download:
http://gopro.com/support/product-reg...-hero3-cameras
In case you got problems... Write PM to me, i will drop it somewhere.
Note - latest still 03.03 (prev. year version, nothing new, i just checked).
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
after many lockups and then the gph3 seemingly coming back to life twice since November, it is finally dead with no lights or nothing. finally got a response from gp support after a week and after many emails where i say many times, "yes it tried that a hundred times..." they sent me a rma and my camera is on its way back! this was one of the early models which seem like the most problem prone

i just bought a new one from backcountry.com. they offer a "Lifetime Unconditional Returns, We guarantee complete satisfaction and an unlimited lifetime warranty. If at any time —now, next month, in 30 years— you're not 100% satisfied, send you gear back for a full refund. No questions asked." before opening the new goproh3 i called to make sure and they said yes. this new gph3 seems to be working fine.

if anybody needs the update for the gph3 i just downloaded this on sunday
http://westtall.com/goproh3update.zip
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QAV400, 6,300' distance flight
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:00 AM
Master of disaster
Polska, Śląskie, Zabrze
Joined May 2006
114 Posts
Can someone measure the power consumption (black and silver) when is connected external 5V power supply, (via USB cable) ?
bartwaw is offline Find More Posts by bartwaw
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:30 AM
3rd stone from the sun
Joined May 2007
2,676 Posts
Thanks, I have a serial number, so I am gonna try the suggested solutions.

I still think its too funny that the company behind "The worlds most versatile camera" has yet to release a camera that actually works 100% at the time of release. With my HeroHD, that I bought some time after release it also had several bugs, like the counter problem, and someone forgot to add an UPd option. Took them 3 months to fix that, maybe they should call it "GoFigure" instead....

That beeing said, I am seriously pleased with the video and photo quality of the GP3 Black...such a major step up in quality from HeroHD. Gonna post some video later.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:16 PM
United States, TX, Corinth
Joined Aug 2012
68 Posts
Are you guys running any ND for you hero 3? I generally run a vari nd on all my canon lenses so I'm not sure what grade Im at to keep the dof of 2.8. It seems like if I remember correctly I run a doubled up .8 nd on my 8-15 f.4 canon fish since you can't put a vari on it but I forgot and don't have the numbers since I had to cut it down and stuff it in the back of the lens...

I like the idea of using a slightly slower shutter speed in pure daylight to keep a more natural, smoother looking video with out adding motion blur in post. Although frischluft rsmb does a great job. I generally shoot a x4 shutter speed for motocross with all the high speed constant motion combined with fast pans. I think it looks much better than the x2 shutter speeds which are way to blurry and anything faster than say 1/200th starts to look strange I think. I'm not sure what the go pro shutter is in mid day light? But I'm going to start playing with that. Just hoping some others may have tried this?
awkBOTS is offline Find More Posts by awkBOTS
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:22 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
i have some generic nd i use on my gph3 as when filming (1080 60fps) in snow there is a slight jello, the nd takes care of it
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QAV400, 6,300' distance flight
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:38 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,190 Posts
Care showing pics of how it's done/installed on the gp3 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosemitez View Post
i have some generic nd i use on my gph3 as when filming (1080 60fps) in snow there is a slight jello, the nd takes care of it
saucisse is online now Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Oct 2006
314 Posts
If there is jello, then that means a lower shutter speed (which I'm guessing is what an ND filter will do) is taking care of the jello?
dartmouth01 is offline Find More Posts by dartmouth01