Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:51 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS View Post
Sorry, just trying to help... Sounded just like what happened to me and I was able to recover the video, but maybe not the same.
Ha, that happen again!
Sorry, this really was framed bicycle icon... But selecting this option does not help :/

So, from beginning - i got to field, flew few times (~20 mins of video), ~-16C outside. Then short pause (camera was in a car, so temperature was around 0C), took cam again, mounted on copter. Flew a bit (smooth flight, no acro, no sudden movements, etc), landed. Turned off camera. Turned on again after few minutes and this bicycle icon appeared. This time i pressed "OK" and turned on recording...
Earlier videos are OK
Later videos are OK.
One in middle - completely corrupted (400+ MB file, with correct headers, but no data in h264 stream).

That shouldn't be due to cold environment - i was flying at lower temps without problems. I was using different mode (first time it was 1080p@60FPS Wide, this time it was 1080p@30FPS Medium), only copter is the same (but last flight was completely smooth, and camera produces good videos even on shaky flying wing, etc).

I do not trust my gopro anymore... Going to buy old good GP2 :/
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:18 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,661 Posts
Maybe it's a bad micro SD card? I think that icon appears as a result of the connection to the SD card being interrupted.
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Maybe it's a bad micro SD card? I think that icon appears as a result of the connection to the SD card being interrupted.
Using sandisk Class 10 32GB card (recommended by GoPro). Re-formatted it (after previous incident) using gopro, tests using h2testw shows no problems (and write speed is allways > 10MB/s), so doubt that card may be issue...
Do not have other big Class 10 card, and smaller ones cant't fit my videos ;-)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:36 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
Ha, that happen again!
Sorry, this really was framed bicycle icon... But selecting this option does not help :/

So, from beginning - i got to field, flew few times (~20 mins of video), ~-16C outside. Then short pause (camera was in a car, so temperature was around 0C), took cam again, mounted on copter. Flew a bit (smooth flight, no acro, no sudden movements, etc), landed. Turned off camera. Turned on again after few minutes and this bicycle icon appeared. This time i pressed "OK" and turned on recording...
Earlier videos are OK
Later videos are OK.
One in middle - completely corrupted (400+ MB file, with correct headers, but no data in h264 stream).

That shouldn't be due to cold environment - i was flying at lower temps without problems. I was using different mode (first time it was 1080p@60FPS Wide, this time it was 1080p@30FPS Medium), only copter is the same (but last flight was completely smooth, and camera produces good videos even on shaky flying wing, etc).

I do not trust my gopro anymore... Going to buy old good GP2 :/
I assume you contacted GoPro about this. What did they say? They should have no problem replacing it.
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:51 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
I assume you contacted GoPro about this. What did they say? They should have no problem replacing it.
Not yet, but will try.
Too bad, i purchased gopro not locally (this isn't that "no-serial" camera, i got full pack), so won't be easy to arrange replacement.
Will try to ask support, maybe they will help. Strange, that nobody else expierenced such issue, maybe i'm alone flying in cold? =)
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:29 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,661 Posts
I fly in the cold and that has only happened to me once. I too have a sandisk 32GB class 10 card.
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:07 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,376 Posts
Sent my H3 Black back to GoPro about 2 1/2 weeks ago, got the replacement today.
Only had to pull the battery 3-4 times so far after locking up while working
through the menus and once while trying to take a still (to get the firmware version).. *sigh*
Have yet to see if it locks up on the charger like the old one did.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:25 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Sent my H3 Black back to GoPro about 2 1/2 weeks ago, got the replacement today.
Only had to pull the battery 3-4 times so far after locking up while working
through the menus and once while trying to take a still (to get the firmware version).. *sigh*
Have yet to see if it locks up on the charger like the old one did.

ian
Wow, that's crazy. Mine has never locked up on me yet. But I'm sure you use yours a lot more than I do. Or maybe it's how quickly we surf thru the menus? Or maybe your replacement camera is also defective?

Are a lot of people still having their cameras lock up while going thru the menus, or taking pictures/video?
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:54 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,156 Posts
New issue for me, i made a simple usb cable to charge the camera from 5v, it works perfectly on my GoPro 1 but on the 3, the camera icon appears and the camera is frozen,

any idea ?
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:38 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,456 Posts
Quote:
I fly in the cold and that has only happened to me once. I too have a sandisk 32GB class 10 card.
Still had no time to contact gopro support, but was flying a lot ;-)
I tested - if i let camera to cool before flight (turn it on when all components are already at approx 0C) - video won't work, it will stop after few seconds (photos OK, you can navigate trough menu and turn video ON again, but it will turn off soon).
If you keep it warm (for example, in pocket), attach, turn it on and fly - it will work OK without glitches. Did ~40GB of videos during last days, issue could be reproduced 100% (ok, let's keep it down - 95% :P )

Probably internal components heating is enough to keep camera warm, and it won't work at low temperatures (even at -3C)... I did some "heat-insulation" box on gimbal, seems it could help a bit.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:45 AM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
613 Posts
still trying to get gopro to replace my hero3. mine would also lock up all the time in the video icon but stills would work for a bit, and my camera is at room temp. now it is doa, no lights nothing

gopro keeps ending this which i have done hundreds of times and always with class 10 cards
"- Remove SD card and Battery.
- Press and Hold Shutter Button (it will need to be kept pressed
throughout the whole process)
- Insert the Battery
- Click the Power/Mode Button.
The camera should power up. After it powers up, make sure you insert a
recommended micro-SD card and update the camera's firmware through
gopro.com/support."

i got mine to come back to life 2 other times by putting in a different card.
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:14 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickwitit View Post
Wow, that's crazy. Mine has never locked up on me yet. But I'm sure you use yours a lot more than I do. Or maybe it's how quickly we surf thru the menus?
The problem is, I'm usually doing 2-3 things in there like, turn Protune on or off
and change the video res and framerate (usually forced to do both together) and
every 3rd time or so I do it, it locks up somewhere in the menus. It also, often
just exits whatever sub menu I'm in and returns me to normal shoot mode
on any random button press almost anywhere in the menus. Locking up while
taking a still was a first for me. If I had it in the full housing or was trying to operate it
in a wet environment it would be intolerable.

On a positive note, this one doesn't lock up with the light stuck on at end of charge cycle.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:17 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,156 Posts
mine always locks if i use motorolla charger but when i use the usb cable with the charger from my samsung phone, no problem.

i dont know what is the difference between different usb charger.
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:24 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waitakere
Joined Sep 2007
737 Posts
Well what a surprise!, no wonder its good!, should be interesting when Sony brings out there Action Cam 2!

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro...ardown/12457/1

http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recent...sports-camera/

*Relinked!
koolkiwikat is offline Find More Posts by koolkiwikat
Last edited by koolkiwikat; Jan 31, 2013 at 05:26 AM. Reason: link diddy dang
Old Jan 30, 2013, 05:36 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkiwikat View Post
Well what a surprise!, no wonder its good!, should be interesting when Sony brings out there Action Cam 2!

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro...ardown/12457/1

http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recent...sports-camera/
Second link is broken, so is the first, but still manages to find the teardown.

Edit: Ah, here's the 2nd link from within the ifixit teardown: http://www.chipworks.com/blog/recent...sports-camera/

And the first if the broken one doesn't work for you: http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/GoPro...ardown/12457/1
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan