HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:27 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Sid3ways's Avatar
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,080 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
It seems to me that plugging into the rear expansion port would be a good way to go for me. That way I could leave the case on the camera and just use the open back. Has anyone done that with this cable?

http://www.chargeconverter.com/store...product_id=157

I have the Flytron one but don't want to cut my case apart. Plus I like the idea of powering the camera which the Flytron cable does not do.
That port was tested by Tim from ReadyMadeRC.com and he stated there was noticeable lag which made it unusable for FPV.

I'd suggest using the LayerLens velcro and use the lens protector from the main shell like Ian (daemon) did.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:09 AM
Missing you too FB!
Bakkie's Avatar
South Africa, Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth
Joined Sep 2010
2,367 Posts
good news.... The Hero3 is Beer proof!

My GoPro loves Beer (0 min 47 sec)
Bakkie is online now Find More Posts by Bakkie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let's try FPV!!!!
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:16 AM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
GoPro3 Silver or black

I just got a GoPro3 Silver and it needs to be returned to the store because the WiFi doesn't work (Icon doesn't come on) and it will not update either.
Spent an hour on hold yesterday with GoPro tech.
They said try a Class10 SD card and see if it will update then. I ordered a 32GB San Disk class 10 last week and waiting for it.
Anyways, for general videos of my FPV flights is the Black way better then the Silver.

I get a discount and originally wanted the Black which is $285 with the discount but it couldn't be ordered at the discount for some reason so I got the Silver for $215.

Now since I need to return it, the Black is available now at the discount of $285. Is it worth it to pay the extra $70 and get the Black.

Running tight on cash and I'm also getting a Super Sky Walker for FPV so I don't want to spend much more money.

Just curious if the benefits for my general recording of my PFV flights is the Black going to be worth the extra $70.
I know it comes with the WiFi remote but doesn't my cell phone do everything the remote does so why do I really need the remote.
I know the specs between the 2 but don't really know what advantage they would be for my use.

Thanks
jasper7821 is online now Find More Posts by jasper7821
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:39 AM
Registered User
yosemitez's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper7821 View Post
I just got a GoPro3 Silver and it needs to be returned to the store because the WiFi doesn't work (Icon doesn't come on) and it will not update either.
Spent an hour on hold yesterday with GoPro tech.
They said try a Class10 SD card and see if it will update then. I ordered a 32GB San Disk class 10 last week and waiting for it.
Anyways, for general videos of my FPV flights is the Black way better then the Silver.

I get a discount and originally wanted the Black which is $285 with the discount but it couldn't be ordered at the discount for some reason so I got the Silver for $215.

Now since I need to return it, the Black is available now at the discount of $285. Is it worth it to pay the extra $70 and get the Black.

Running tight on cash and I'm also getting a Super Sky Walker for FPV so I don't want to spend much more money.

Just curious if the benefits for my general recording of my PFV flights is the Black going to be worth the extra $70.
I know it comes with the WiFi remote but doesn't my cell phone do everything the remote does so why do I really need the remote.
I know the specs between the 2 but don't really know what advantage they would be for my use.

Thanks
the 1080 60p is well worth the money. i have also been recording at 2.7k (see next post) and the quality is amazing. also look for posts with problems with the sandisk 32 gig class 10. i had one that worked for awhile and then it stopped recording randomly. got a transcend and it works great.
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QAV400, 6,300' distance flight
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:41 AM
Registered User
AlanGold's Avatar
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
That port was tested by Tim from ReadyMadeRC.com and he stated there was noticeable lag which made it unusable for FPV.
That is interesting since there is no lag with the LCD plugged in.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:42 AM
Registered User
yosemitez's Avatar
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
695 Posts
GOPRO Hero3 Black, 2.7k

FPV flight with the HT-FPV and the Gopro Hero3 Black.

Recording at 2.7k, brought into Sony Vegas 12, rendered to 2.7k.

If you can handle the bandwidth make sure to watch at "original" in the quality options.

The original file looks so much better than 1080
GoPro Hero3 Black, 2.7k (2 min 9 sec)
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QAV400, 6,300' distance flight
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:43 AM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Great, thank you very much. Just talked to a friend and they too said it's worth the extra money.

So I'll get the Black.
Thanks.

It was suggested to use the San Disk card so that's the one I ordered. If it has issues I'll get one you suggest.
jasper7821 is online now Find More Posts by jasper7821
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:02 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2007
2,071 Posts
Sell the remote for $65 on e-Bay and make up most of the difference that way.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:12 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfatboy View Post
Sell the remote for $65 on e-Bay and make up most of the difference that way.
Great idea, thank you very much. I think I'll like the 3 better.
jasper7821 is online now Find More Posts by jasper7821
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:42 PM
I Toast Planes
bakon's Avatar
Joined Jul 2010
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
I would love to see how you made that thing. looks pretty simple, Do you have a schematic for it?
All I have is this simple sketch I made when planning out how I wanted to construct it. I have know idea if the symbols I used come even close to looking right but hopefully it gives you an idea on how to make one, they are quite worth it in my opinion.
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 01:30 PM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakon View Post
All I have is this simple sketch I made when planning out how I wanted to construct it. I have know idea if the symbols I used come even close to looking right but hopefully it gives you an idea on how to make one, they are quite worth it in my opinion.
awesome thanks
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:59 PM
Raggistored Usehr
gooby's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
My gopro hero 3 black edition has stuttering video even with the latest firmware and a sandisk class 10 32gb card.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:03 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovs View Post
My gopro hero 3 black edition has stuttering video even with the latest firmware and a sandisk class 10 32gb card.
Maybe your Sandisk card is bad? I just RMA'd my Sandisk 32gb class 10 card yesterday. It lasted only a week and completely stopped working. Thought it was the GoPro that killed it at first, but it didn't respond to any system / adapter / reader. :P
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:07 PM
Registered User
Underthetire's Avatar
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
If you put the card in your PC, then copy a large file to it, it will show the transfer rate. I believe c10 is 10mb/sec or faster. Tested all mine, and found 2 sandisks to be slower than rated, the cheapo eBay one I bought was faster than c10.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:47 PM
Raggistored Usehr
gooby's Avatar
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,062 Posts
Problem solved: It turns out that quicktime can't display 2.7k video correctly. With VLC in fullscreen mode, the video is perfectly smooth.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold *SOLD* NIB GoPro HD Hero 2 Motorsports Edition plus NIB GoPro Wifi Combo Kit. jbj620 FPV Equipment (FS/W) 2 Jun 11, 2012 12:54 PM
Discussion FPV using GOPRO HD Hero 2 + bacpac WIFI Link69 Multirotor Talk 4 Feb 26, 2012 08:24 PM
Build Log HD FunJet v2 (mini) build log with GoPro HERO HD jbpilot FPV Talk 14 Oct 31, 2010 10:36 AM
Cool GoPro HD Hero Wide - 6.3 oz HD video camera nemo_uk Aerial Photography 5 Sep 27, 2009 10:40 AM