SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:34 AM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
Alan,

I finally got rid of all signs of jello on my TBS with the hero 3 blk @1080p 60fps. I am flying some FPV over the ocean tomorrow and can post some videos. I will be trying some of the other settings as well.

I have a layer of sorbothane, g10 plate, soft ear plugs then gopro with a loose rubber band. I also threw a polarizing filter under the lens cover, which seems to help.
Thanks, my camera will be here tomorrow and I'll get to work testing if the weather improves. I may even still have some old 3" optical gel ND filter from when I used to shoot with large format film cameras.

BTW on this thread Gary Goodman says he will be selling anti-vibration engine mounts for DJI arms.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6193
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:38 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
Thanks, my camera will be here tomorrow and I'll get to work testing if the weather improves. I may even still have some old 3" optical gel ND filter from when I used to shoot with large format film cameras.

BTW on this thread Gary Goodman says he will be selling anti-vibration engine mounts for DJI arms.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6193
Yep, I have been following that thread as well. I may try them out if I see any remaining vibes in FFF situations.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:02 AM
Joined Dec 2011
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
If you ever can see the way to posting pictures that show how you dampen vibration and the specific products used I'll be very interested. (Vibrationmount.com has a lot of links to numerous companies and products)

I am new to this and have only been using a small p&s on test videos with my Discovery. I have tried a few different approaches (including a $15 sticky gel material) and still get jello when the camera is mounted on the front.

My GoPro 3 Black will be here soon so maybe it will work better than my p&s or maybe I'll need to work more on the dampening.

Do you use any stabilization processing software such as Mercalli 2?
I use FCP X, but to be honest I only stabilised some of the aerial footage, the ground footage was more shaky.
I used only factor 1 if I used it on the aerial footage (factor 2.5 is standard)
The flashed ESC's make the biggest difference and to fly the Naza in manual, there is now way to fly in atti mode in 50km/h winds...
If you check my channel there is a Mauritius Video and there you can see what you get if you use dji stock esc's a lot of wobble and
with the software stabilisation the horizon is wobbling around...

Vibrationmount: it's Part# V10Z62MSN05 on the website http://www.vibrationmounts.com/Store...FQ/VM08009.htm
It's the green ones

Here are my two mod videos, got a lot in them about how to get a frame vibration free

TBS Discovery Mods 2 FPV ROO gopro hero 3 (8 min 28 sec)

TBS Discovery tweaks Mods etc. FPV ROO (6 min 53 sec)
speedstep is offline Find More Posts by speedstep
Last edited by speedstep; Dec 27, 2012 at 05:07 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:07 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,215 Posts
i just got a response from GoPro...... i already stated that i had latet firmware........

"Update for Case #459565 - "Random freezes and recording end"

Hi Jean-Pierre,

Thank you for contacting GoPro.

It sounds like your camera is stuck in a state where pressing the Power button dimly lights the back red LED instead of powering on the camera. I have some tips that get the camera out of this state so you can power it on again.

1. Please disconnect the camera from USB, remove the battery and SD card.
2. Reinsert the battery only.
3. Press the Power button one time. If the camera doesn’t power on, remove and reinsert the battery.

You may need to repeat step 3 up to 10 times before the camera powers on. In other words, try resetting the camera up to 10 times by removing/reinserting the battery and pressing the Power button.

If you’re able to power on the camera, we recommend updating your firmware. You can do this at http://gopro.com/support/product-reg...hero3-cameras/. If the firmware updater says that you’re unable to update again because your firmware is already up-to-date, we recommend updating again anyway. You can do the firmware update manually by running through the firmware update process without the camera connected to your computer. Click on the above link again and complete all steps except for Step 6, then you’ll be able to manually update your camera’s firmware. Let us know if you’d like more detailed instructions on how you can manually update the firmware, and we’ll send them to you.

If you continue to experience this issue, please let us know how often. Also, would you be able to send us the “firmware version” and the “Wi-Fi version” information from your version.txt file, located in the MISC folder of your SD card, please?

If you’re not able to power on the camera, it sounds like there could be a fault with the camera, and we'll need to go ahead with replacing your unit under warranty. To get the process started, can you please reply via e-mail with a copy of your purchase receipt to show you are within the warranty period, the camera's serial number located inside the battery compartment, and also follow the below link to enter your return shipping info for the replacement camera:

Enter Address Here.

Once we hear back, we'll be able to provide you with a RMA (returns authorization) and returns instructions.

Our apologies for the inconvenience, but we'll do our best to get you a fully functioning replacement as soon as possible.

Many Thanks,

Mary-Anne S.
GoPro Support
http://gopro.com/support/ "
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:40 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,653 Posts
Anyone using Black at low temperatures (< 10C)?
I used first gopro even at -30C without issues (works very well), but with GP3 Black i noticed, that it sometimes stops recording without any notice.
That happened at least twice - temperature was around -14C. It was still ON, just not recording. Firmware is latest, battery more than enough.
Didn't noticed that happening in not-so-cold conditions (already have few hours of videos, everything looks OK).

If i'm alone - i probably got some strange defect, i just get another cam for winter flying and use this for summer...
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:48 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
Anyone using Black at low temperatures (< 10C)?
I used first gopro even at -30C without issues (works very well), but with GP3 Black i noticed, that it sometimes stops recording without any notice.
That happened at least twice - temperature was around -14C. It was still ON, just not recording. Firmware is latest, battery more than enough.
Didn't noticed that happening in not-so-cold conditions (already have few hours of videos, everything looks OK).

If i'm alone - i probably got some strange defect, i just get another cam for winter flying and use this for summer...
i got this at +10c also, it's not temperature related i think.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Thanks speedstep for the photos and info.

Update - my GoPro arrived a little while ago and my first tests at 1080P 60 fps show all is good. So I may have nothing to worry about.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
Last edited by AlanGold; Dec 27, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:53 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,215 Posts
For those interested, i made my cable with a 10 pin usb cable and housing (like the one from RC4Y)

little tips, when soldering the resistor and wires, cut the pins you dont need on the connector, this will make more room for your solder and wires, it is really small pins and really close together !
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:35 PM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Worcester UK
Joined Nov 2004
806 Posts
How about a simple self stabilize gimbal for the Gopro3

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793759
crezzee is offline Find More Posts by crezzee
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crezzee View Post
How about a simple self stabilize gimbal for the Gopro3

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1793759
Awesome, I may have to try this out. I think that I will modify the arducopter code on my APM rather than have a seperate gimbal controller. It already has gimbal stab built in. I would just need to tweak the servo output and mixing
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:09 AM
Skint since 2000
Reading, United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2008
1,503 Posts
Seen this?

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/gopro3-bla...ery-p-883.html

Looks like a good deal until you realise its just the gopro
ghost2212 is online now Find More Posts by ghost2212
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:16 AM
$#|+
United States, CA, Orange
Joined May 2007
1,605 Posts
Happy to report that I've been flying with the hero3 black as my only fpv cam for more than a week without any issues
Flying around midnight was no issue either.
Will post some night videos soon.

This is a new build that is still in testing, this is the second flight with this dji 450 frame
Please excuse the jello, until my dubro balancer gets here.

FPV DJI Stock 450 4S Hero3 (5 min 51 sec)

Moe
mkmkmk13 is offline Find More Posts by mkmkmk13
Last edited by mkmkmk13; Dec 31, 2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Added video
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:16 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost2212 View Post
Looks like a good deal until you realise its just the gopro
Still a very good deal as most flyers will never use the accessories anyway.
Even more interesting for those of us outside US, for example here the GP3B retails for a whopping $580. I'm totally happy to part with the remote and case I'd leave in a drawer anyway, and save a bit more than $200.
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:23 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,108 Posts
Latest from GoPro support after I told em about all the usual annoying quirks that exist after
the latest firmware, is that they think I should return/replace the camera.. which means
they need my receipt and serial #. May be tough to track down that receipt.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:24 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
May be tough to track down that receipt.

ian
One benefit to buying at Best Buy I can toss the receipt and at any time get it re-printed. If you bought yours from there they can print another one out.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways