HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Oct 2012
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtGame7 View Post
After reading the entire thread, I have to say I am an utter noob when it comes to FPV and GoPro. Thank you all for the education. If you don't mind a noob question, what it "jello"?
Jello is when parts of the movie begin to look liquified to some degree. As if it is oozing somewhat. The reason for this is these types of cameras record at 30 or 60 frames per second but do not capture a complete "frame" or photo at a time. Instead thy have what is called a "rolling electronic shutter" that scans each frame line by line. So when there is vibration or quick movement, the scanning is uneven because the image has changed positions on the sensor during the actual scan of a single frame.
AlanGold is offline Find More Posts by AlanGold
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:58 PM
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtGame7 View Post
After reading the entire thread, I have to say I am an utter noob when it comes to FPV and GoPro. Thank you all for the education. If you don't mind a noob question, what it "jello"?
Thay are crystals that you poor hot water and voila "jello"
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:59 PM
Switzerland
Joined Jul 2010
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanGold View Post
Jello is when parts of the movie begin to look liquified to some degree. As if it is oozing somewhat. The reason for this is these types of cameras record at 30 or 60 frames per second but do not capture a complete "frame" or photo at a time. Instead thy have what is called a "rolling electronic shutter" that scans each frame line by line. So when there is vibration or quick movement, the scanning is uneven because the image has changed positions on the sensor during the actual scan of a single frame.
Yes and more explanation on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter
eyesonsky is offline Find More Posts by eyesonsky
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:48 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S9coldfire View Post
I just got my first GoPro, a hero 3 black, and it's great! But when I charge it with my computer I've left it plugged in for about 2-3 hours (a bit longer than the charge light shows but not too excessive), but when I unplug it the battery indicator only shows two bars. Is this normal or is there anything I can do differently?

And yesterday I took video at 1080p, 30fps and it shut off after a little over an hour of recording. I heard that the battery is small, but is this typical?
One other question. I plugged it back in and got it to charge all of the way. I have a 32 GB card in there and I took an hour and a half worth of video at 1080 48 fps. But when I downloaded it to my computer, I had two 3.66 GB files at ~17 min each and a 26 MB file and that was it. Why did it stop taking video? (I never told it to stop). And why does it break it up into separate files? Is that because it's a FAT 32 file system?
S9coldfire is offline Find More Posts by S9coldfire
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:16 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S9coldfire View Post
One other question. I plugged it back in and got it to charge all of the way. I have a 32 GB card in there and I took an hour and a half worth of video at 1080 48 fps. But when I downloaded it to my computer, I had two 3.66 GB files at ~17 min each and a 26 MB file and that was it. Why did it stop taking video? (I never told it to stop). And why does it break it up into separate files? Is that because it's a FAT 32 file system?
Good question.
Sorry can't answer it but I had the issue. 2 hour record but only I thing two fifteen minute clips and a bit.
Would also like to know why
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:46 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
yup, you've hit the fat32 file limit, so it breaks it up into chunks.

Your only choice to prevent this is to record at lower rates / resolutions, that'll keep the clip lengths longer. Also, check the 'loop recording' setting on the camera to force it to restart recording once the file limit has been reached.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:49 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,102 Posts
Hitting the FAT32 limit isn't either of their problems.
It should just roll over to the next file and keep going until the card is full. They're saying that
it simply stopped recording early. I haven't done any recordings long enough to see that yet.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:52 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
They're saying that
it simply stopped recording early
yup, that's what the loop recording setting is for.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:12 PM
Happy Days
United Kingdom, High Wycombe
Joined Mar 2001
4,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
yup, that's what the loop recording setting is for.
I would assume the loop recording is a bit like a security HDD. it'll keep recording and once full record over the starting recording
mudlark is offline Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:29 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,102 Posts
The loop recording should go back and overwrite earlier files after you've filled up the card.
They aren't filling up the card.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:29 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Nevermind, i am totally wrong. the loop recording is to overwrite the oldest video files when your memory card is full (and it doesn't work in pro tune mode). The camera is supposed to write videos in multiple segments, but a 3.66GB file is roughly reaching the fat32 file limit, so if it's not starting a new file right after this is something to look further into.

I haven't reached that file limit yet so can't say, but i will try this in a moment to see for myself.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:15 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Ok so i set my gopro 3 silver to record for 2 hours at 1080p @ 30fps. It created a bunch of 1.99GB files at about 17 mins each until i stopped it. I ended up getting 5 files at 1.99gb and one file at 735MB, all separately viewable, each one starting after the other one ended.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2012
350 Posts
Similar story here, at 720p 30- pro tune on, split into 14:59 long clips @3.8Gb each. Personally I don't give a damn because 15 min is a pretty long time for one clip.
jolyboy is offline Find More Posts by jolyboy
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:09 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Yeah I definitely wasn't filling the card up. I'll try recording again tomorrow evening and just let it run for an hour or two to see what happens. I only got about 34 minutes of video split between two 3.66 GB files. I'd love to hear what happens to other people at various settings!
S9coldfire is offline Find More Posts by S9coldfire
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:34 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Are you sure your gopro didn't jsut crash in the middle of the recording without you noticing, as some have experienced?
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah