HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:33 PM
WI
Joined Oct 2004
908 Posts
Hopefully the audio quality is better than their last versions of the camera. Wonder if it still has the terrible latency over the wireless.
King_Ice_Flash is offline Find More Posts by King_Ice_Flash
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:53 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,646 Posts
@ Daemon

I just went through the pain of refocusing the GoPro 2 lens! - Tighten lens, take a few reference shots, view on decent monitor and compare to previous shots, rinse, repeat. It took a couple of hours to get things dialed in but I haven't put it up on a plane yet to verify.

One of the tips I saw that could speed up the process is to push the video out live and view it on a monitor. It gets the focus into the ballpark quickly but you still have to do the tedious work.

Hope it helps.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Apr 2008
299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1295 View Post
@ Daemon

I just went through the pain of refocusing the GoPro 2 lens! - Tighten lens, take a few reference shots, view on decent monitor and compare to previous shots, rinse, repeat. It took a couple of hours to get things dialed in but I haven't put it up on a plane yet to verify.

One of the tips I saw that could speed up the process is to push the video out live and view it on a monitor. It gets the focus into the ballpark quickly but you still have to do the tedious work.

Hope it helps.

-Mike
I would have thought using the live video out would only take 10 minutes and would be a much better idea.
thecrawfords67 is offline Find More Posts by thecrawfords67
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:00 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,109 Posts
Problem is, the live video out is low res, so you can't see the finest details live
and kinda hard to get it pointed at anything far away, if it's tethered to your 55" plasma
TV with the component output cable (which I don't have). It looks fine until I look at it at
1080p on my computer and then discover the far away trees are a little fuzzy and so forth.
I did get it pretty close with the front of the case off, but back still on, so I could
power it up, shoot a short video, look at it, adjust lens a half a mm, rinse, repeat.
I know some people when replacing the lens, just cut the barrel off the front of the case
so they can refocus with the whole case together. I don't want to do that yet.
I'm getting closer. Shot some video this evening I need to look at.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:01 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Ice_Flash View Post
Hopefully the audio quality is better than their last versions of the camera. Wonder if it still has the terrible latency over the wireless.
It does. That's not going to improve. It goes through heavy compression to
be able to stream it over wifi.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:10 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Just scored a Black Edition today... will put it on the quad tomorrow if weather permits and take sample shots
MK3 is offline Find More Posts by MK3
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:36 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 View Post
Just scored a Black Edition today... will put it on the quad tomorrow if weather permits and take sample shots
where'd you get one?
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:49 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Walked into a local best buy to buy a Canon f1.4 lens... lo and behold they had the black edition on the stand. Took the last one in the store and checked out. Now gotta cancel my Nov 14 pre-order
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:56 PM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
Well.. that was interesting. When first turned on, the only video resolutions were 1440 and lower. A card that came in the box says "Go to GoPro.com for product update"

Makes you connect your GP and enter your name and email to download the update that enables the higher resolutions.

I still see only 2.7k and lower, no 4k. So perhaps it will be unlocked at the actual release date? Who knows. Then there's 2.7k cinema. The resolution difference between 2.7k and 2.7k cin is there but minor.

2.7k cin: 2704x1440 video
2.7k: 2704x1536

1080p 60fps.... 2.7k videos will put your computer to its knees. You need a high end computer for smooth playback. This thing is ahead of its time
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:59 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
The 4K versions are only available through protune. Also 2.7 cin is 24 frames per second, correct?
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:56 AM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,675 Posts
Mk3 do you see anyway to hook it up to a analog live video out? Like the one the hero 2 has? Or will this one not be able to be used for Fpv?
flohio117 is offline Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:02 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Mk3 do you see anyway to hook it up to a analog live video out? Like the one the hero 2 has? Or will this one not be able to be used for Fpv?
http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/combo-cable
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:11 AM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
^Fu(k yeah!
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:06 AM
MK3
Aerial Loitering
Joined Sep 2011
432 Posts
I haven't attempted it yet, because I don't have the combo cable. But I'm assuming it will work.

I just did some low light tests. And WOW.. there is a dramatic difference in quality with previous GoPros. The new GP3 black edition has a very clean image in very dark environments. Even in night time outdoors the noise is surprisingly acceptable. Very very impressive. It seems to pick up near infrared light a lot more, because all my outdoor security cams were glowing. The 2.7k resolution video is pure eye candy and almost surreal. The image is so clean it's like looking at a high res photo in fluid motion.
The picture mode with it's 30fps burst... absolutely ridiculous. My $1300 Canon 60D only does 6fps

The camera overall is ridiculously smaller, and feels lighter. The rubber sides feel like really good quality.

This thing makes me want to buy two.

I'll post some samples monday.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 03:08 AM
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Thuwal
Joined Aug 2012
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK3 View Post
I haven't attempted it yet, because I don't have the combo cable. But I'm assuming it will work.

I just did some low light tests. And WOW.. there is a dramatic difference in quality with previous GoPros. The new GP3 black edition has a very clean image in very dark environments. Even in night time outdoors the noise is surprisingly acceptable. Very very impressive. It seems to pick up near infrared light a lot more, because all my outdoor security cams were glowing. The 2.7k resolution video is pure eye candy and almost surreal. The image is so clean it's like looking at a high res photo in fluid motion.
The picture mode with it's 30fps burst... absolutely ridiculous. My $1300 Canon 60D only does 6fps

The camera overall is ridiculously smaller, and feels lighter. The rubber sides feel like really good quality.

This thing makes me want to buy two.

I'll post some samples monday.
I'm waiting with trepidation! I am actually hoping they are bad so that my investment in GoPro2 accessories hasn't already.... well... been surpassed
Pass1 is offline Find More Posts by Pass1