HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:49 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Davidson View Post
Love that audio!

You should try and capture this phenomenon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCMmmEEyOO0
I did capture that phenomenon.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Nov 28, 2012 at 02:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:38 AM
Old Blighty
Joined Apr 2010
1,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I did capture that phenomenon.
Errr, oh yeh!
Ian Davidson is offline Find More Posts by Ian Davidson
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:19 PM
9x Transmitters Freakin' Rock
Joined Dec 2011
15 Posts
Opinions on optimal Hero3 config for high quality flight videos?

Let's put the "should you pilot FPV through the Hero3" discussion aside for a moment and talk about how to get the best flight video quality on your Hero3. I'd really like your opinions.

On the Hero3:
- What is the best capture resolution from a quality AND battery performance perspective for fixed-wing flight? 1080p/30fps, 720p/60fps? Is there a benefit to going with 24/48fps rather than 30/60fps? What are the benefits of higher frame rates for flight videos, other than slow motion?

- How do environmental conditions effect your Hero3 configuration decisions?

- Is Protune the way to go? If so, what do people use for the external color correction? Cineform? Other software products? What is your video post-processing process? Is there another thread that discusses how to get the best protune results?

- What are other important considerations to maximize your flight video success rate?

- Are UV filters useful?

- Anything else?

I look forward to your feedback.

Preston
pgregg is offline Find More Posts by pgregg
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
i use the 60fps to reduce the jello and from what i have read protune creates larger files. i tried cineform and you create large mov or avi files to work with in your editor. you can also then tweak those large files in cineform and convert them to mp4's but you have no real control over bitrate,etc output

i am currently using sony vegas pro 11 and it works fine with the raw gopro files and will even work with the 2.7 and 4k. i tried the cineform route of converting to avi and then importing that into sony and then rendering for youtube.

here is some footage from 2 days ago shooting at 1080 60 fps. imported raw gopro and rendered for youtube in sony vegas, no cineform. i cant see any real difference between cineform to vegas or just raw gopro to vegas
Flights 24, 25 (0 min 51 sec)
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: KK2.1 & KK2.1.5 CPPM with EZUHF
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
1080p/30 Protune off is probably the best for keeping composite video latency down and
ensuring reasonably reliable operation. Any other frame rate has to be converted
in camera to 30fps (29.97) for NTSC composite output.
Same but with Protune on, if you want to fly in low light conditions, but bitrate is very high
so higher potential latency and must have large, fast uSD card.
Using higher frame rates at night, will make the video darker as exposure time is reduced.

Most photographers treat UV filters as nothing more than lens protection, which Hero already has.
A polarizing filter could be useful in sunny or snowy conditions.

Color correction is not necessary with Protune unless you set the white balance manually
to a specific temperature, or turn it off. You will need to adjust Levels (contrast/brightness)
if you use Protune regularly in well lit conditions, otherwise you'll end up with a somewhat washed out look.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Daemon; Nov 28, 2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:03 PM
Italia, Piemonte, Torino
Joined Jul 2009
779 Posts
MultiWii with GoPro Hero 3 (3 min 28 sec)
Neo360 is offline Find More Posts by Neo360
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:21 AM
I can fly this plane
Kingdom of Sweden, Gävleborg County, Sandviken
Joined Jan 2012
211 Posts
GoPro 3 user might find this helpfull.
http://rcexplorer.se/diy/2012/11/diy...deo-out-cable/
PinDuke is offline Find More Posts by PinDuke
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:11 AM
Spain, GA, Corunna
Joined Jan 2011
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinDuke View Post
GoPro 3 user might find this helpfull.
http://rcexplorer.se/diy/2012/11/diy...deo-out-cable/
Yes, David is the boss
lougedo is online now Find More Posts by lougedo
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:30 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
I just got my first GoPro, a hero 3 black, and it's great! But when I charge it with my computer I've left it plugged in for about 2-3 hours (a bit longer than the charge light shows but not too excessive), but when I unplug it the battery indicator only shows two bars. Is this normal or is there anything I can do differently?

And yesterday I took video at 1080p, 30fps and it shut off after a little over an hour of recording. I heard that the battery is small, but is this typical?
S9coldfire is offline Find More Posts by S9coldfire
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:52 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
829 Posts
Hey all... I have read through MOST of this thread, and still haven't found the exact answer i was looking for... so I thought I'd post and see what you all have to say. If I should be looking elsewhere, I understand, and sorry for the bother....

I do not have a GoPro camera yet, but would ilke one to fild some of my four wheeler riding and flying my planes/heli. Being as I have never owned one, I don't have much to go on for comparison, other than the video our $200 Canon camera and my smartphone capture. I see there are now three levels with the GoPro 3 version. Will the White edition make me happy, or do I need the Silver or Black to be able to be satisfied with the video quality and performance? Thanks for any input you may be able to share with me.

Jason
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:55 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
White Edition is equivalent to original Hero HD + Wifi + better lens
Silver Edition is equivalent to Hero2 + Wifi + better lens
Black Edition is all new. Better high sensitivity, lower noise sensor, faster processor.. etc.

Can't tell you which version will make you happy, but size/weight shouldn't
be a large factor on a ground vehicle so presumably you could purchase
an original HD or Hero2 for less than an H3 White or Silver and be just as satisfied.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,404 Posts
I don't know if I could help you with the cams, but you sure gave me a new perspective on Velma
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
i don't know if i could help you with the cams, but you sure gave me a new perspective on velma :d
:d:d
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, CA
Joined Nov 2010
509 Posts
some gopro hero3 2.7k footage edited in cineform. will try sony vegas next as it will edit the 2.7 and 4k.
select "original" to see the 2.7k
gopro hero3 2.7k (0 min 19 sec)
yosemitez is offline Find More Posts by yosemitez
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: KK2.1 & KK2.1.5 CPPM with EZUHF
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, PA, Ellwood City
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
After reading the entire thread, I have to say I am an utter noob when it comes to FPV and GoPro. Thank you all for the education. If you don't mind a noob question, what it "jello"?
AtGame7 is online now Find More Posts by AtGame7