HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:11 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,537 Posts
I just got my GP3 Black edition today and there was a notice included to update the firmware prior to using. When I tried to update the firmware it told me it was already up to date.

Here's the version as shown on my card, is this what you guys have as the latest?

Code:
{
"info version":"1.1",
"firmware version":"HD3.03.01.09",
"wifi version":"3.2.3.12",
"wifi bootloader version":"0.2.2",
"wifi mac":"d896850b4459",
"camera type":"Hero3-Black Edition",
}
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:35 AM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
Yes, that's the latest firmware.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:43 AM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Same here, Just picked one up today.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:22 AM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2007
100 Posts
Where did you guys get the GP3 Black from now ?

Still BestBuy or from a webshop ?
LoopForEver is offline Find More Posts by LoopForEver
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:08 AM
Youtube Johnbrum26
Mckinney,TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,013 Posts
Best buy, it came on the truck yesterday. I snagged as soon as they got it in. Just pure luck.
Killab is offline Find More Posts by Killab
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:26 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,814 Posts
So, in everyone's opinion after using the Black edition, is it worth the extra money for one? I'm considering going to BB to look again but I've also thought of just going and picking up two White editions instead for general purposes to have three. It would let me stick them on in different locations on my mountain bike. Of course the video quality won't be near the Black edition though. Maybe it's worth the extra money?
I do have a H2 and have enough saved up now to pick up a H3 Black but just wanting to make sure I won't regret it down the road.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
After doing some comparison tests between the GP3 Black and my old GP2 this is what I have concluded:

(GP3 black was tested with AWB selected)

1) GP2 w/Protune on@ 1080P vs. GP3 Bl w/Protune on at 1080p is very similar. However, GP3 B wins due to 60fps "smoothness" and slightly higher detail due to higher bitrate (45kpbs vs 35 kpbs).
2) GP2 w/Protune offnormal vs. GP3 Bl normal - GP3 wins handily. Much crisper and more detail with way less noise. This is for any mode I tried to compare against. There was such a vast difference in quality between protune off and on modes with the GP2 that makes sense. I believe it when they say that the GP3's processor is twice as powerful
3) 2.7k on GP3 Bl is awesome. It's going to be gorgeous for some of the slower shots with the bigger aerial rig
4) I like GP3 Bl with Protune off. This is partially because I have played with color corrections and post processing much. I am sure that a more video editing savvy person could make more out of the pro-tune. Hopefully, I will get there.
5) Adjustments to changing lighting is much smoother on the GP3 Blk.

Just my 2 cents after playing with the camera a bit. Still waiting for the weather to die down to test the aerial side of things. I will mostly be flying in 1080 60fps with protune off with some 2.7k thrown in there.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:14 PM
Joined Feb 2010
35 Posts
Can someone provide the GoPro Hero3 miniUSB 10pins pinout? Especially the Video out and ground.

And is it possible to recharge when FPVing?
JYVAI is offline Find More Posts by JYVAI
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:18 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
Nobody can answer those questions yet.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:05 PM
Happy Days
United States, WA, Mason County
Joined Mar 2001
3,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopForEver View Post
Where did you guys get the GP3 Black from now ?

Still BestBuy or from a webshop ?
I kept emailing the manager of the local best buy until they answered me.
They were very helpful and I had one within a week.
Also took up their offer of the accidental damage insurance for about $50.
Only did it for a year, figure I'd of lost it by then.
mudlark is online now Find More Posts by mudlark
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2007
100 Posts
Thanks for info

JYVAI - Here is GP3 10pin miniUSB pinout included Video out and GND
- yes i think its possible to provide USB 5V to camera when FPVing while still REC + Live out - but have not tryed it yet..

LoopForEver is offline Find More Posts by LoopForEver
Last edited by LoopForEver; Nov 11, 2012 at 02:28 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killab View Post
Best buy, it came on the truck yesterday. I snagged as soon as they got it in. Just pure luck.
Hi guys,

I'm a swede on holiday in Florida (Tampa/Largo/Miami). Wanted to buy the Gopro black edition and spent the whole day today trying to find it in Largo. I'm going bananas soon. Can someone plz help me?

I have checked: Best buy, Walmart, Target, some local surfshops and no luck.

Fingers crossed
/Marcus

email: malteaserr@gmail.com
malteaserr is offline Find More Posts by malteaserr
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,537 Posts
Yeah I picked mine up at best buy and also got the 1 year protection. I kept asking them if they knew what this camera was and if it would still be replaced given the "normal" abuse gopro's take and they assured me it would be repaired/replaced.

Now that I have a black edition I was thinking a couple of white editions would be cool for other things. But I'm totally broke so that will have to wait

Thanks Daemon for confirming the latest firmware!

Paul
AeroVideoUS is offline Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Just got back from the field. Winds 20+ mph. Strapped the GP3 to the beater quad (lightly balanced props, unbalanced motors, not tuned for wind). I set the gp to 1080p 60f , medium FOV, protune off. Detail was great. Unfortunately, jello is still very present. Granted, it was the worst case scenario with the wind and frame combo. I would never actually fly to film in this type of wind, but I was hoping for a bit better results. Not going to bother posting any videos due to that fact.

I didn't want to risk my Y6 in this wind, but I will test her out tomorrow. It is much more balanced and has a pretty good, soft isolation scheme. Still waiting on the TBS frame to setup for FPV.
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
1,814 Posts
For those looking for them, check Best Buy on Wednesday or Friday. I talked to a girl at my local store and there aren't any in stock but she checked and saw another shipment coming in either Tuesday or Thursday night next week and that was for most of the stores in the area.
Looks like everyone on e-Bay selling them isn't going to make as much now that the camera availability is rising soon. Cameras selling for $600 are now going for closer to $500 now just after a couple of days.
healthyfatboy is offline Find More Posts by healthyfatboy
RCG Plus Member