HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:43 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Okay, so I snagged the Mini Tools Partition Wizard and formatted the 64 gig SDXC card to Fat32. Seemed to work okay. Win 7 reads it fine.

Put it in the Hero3, I get an SD Error.

Great. It can't read a Fat32 formatted card? That bites.

So I take the card back to windows and reformat it using exFAT. Hero3 still won't read the card, gives an SD Error.

I format the card using the Hero3, figuring that's my best bet. Format works without errors, but after exiting the menu the camera still gives the SD Error.

So, I basically just trashed a perfectly good 64 gig class 10 card?

What'd I do wrong?
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Feb 2012
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Hope you're sending feedback to GoPro. I have been, for whatever issues
I can reproduce consistently. Unfortunately, a lot of the lockups are just random.

ian
Please do it for the rest of us.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:01 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Has anybody here confirmed that the Hero3 will read a lower capacity card formatted to Fat32? I don't want to reinvest in 32gb cards if it still won't read them when formatted Fat32.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:10 PM
crd
Always thinkering
United States, FL
Joined Nov 2006
1,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Hope you're sending feedback to GoPro. I have been, for whatever issues
I can reproduce consistently. Unfortunately, a lot of the lockups are just random.

ian
Some hero2 had the same problem after firmware update, I have own 5 Hero2 in this past year and one had that problem, people have the same problem on youtube, but they downgrade the firmware and it works fine. I curently have a Hero2 without that problem, the other one used to freeze, lag changing menus, etc.
crd is offline Find More Posts by crd
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:13 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Has anybody here confirmed that the Hero3 will read a lower capacity card formatted to Fat32? I don't want to reinvest in 32gb cards if it still won't read them when formatted Fat32.
I think so. Win7 says the 32GB card I'm using in mine is FAT32 format.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:13 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
I couldn't tell you the format on my card but I did purchase a 32GB Sandisk Ultra and popped it into the GoPro without doing any pre-formatting. I popped it into the GoPro and 5 seconds later all was well and I was shooting with it. No issues so far.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:03 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Ian, are you using the SanDisk 32gb SDHC card then? If that one comes formatted Fat32, I'll just buy a bunch of those.

BTW, I was able to recover that messed up 64gb SDXC card. I had to repartition it, which didn't work until I programmed the partition as the primary partition and then reformatted it for exFAT. Now it works in the GoPro again, but the iPad camera adapter can't read it.

I think I'll just use those 64gb cards in the SD adapter with my Point & Shoot and my DSLR cameras, but keep them on-hand when FPV'ing in case I want to use them as backup cards. I just picked up a Sony powershot that takes incredible 60fps 1080p video, which I'll use for ground footage when going out on FPV trips.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:56 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
Could try that same partition trick with your FAT32 format.
Bit weird that Hero can't actually format the card to its own liking.

What I have is a cheap PNY brand class 10 (was cheapest class 10 uSD at Best Buy)
and it came preformatted FAT32.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Sep 2011
450 Posts
This is the same SD card GoPro is selling and Best Buy also sells it for $70. The price seems to fluctuate on amazon, but it was $24 last Thursday. Best Buy wouldn't price match because the serial was apparently one digit off, so I left and picked one up from the Costco next door for $23.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS...=micro+sd+32gb

I haven't had any formatting or reading problems with my GoPro. Sometimes it says no SD at the moment I turn it on, but then it recognizes it. Perhaps the iPad camera connection kit doesn't support high capacity cards?
sg1anubis is offline Find More Posts by sg1anubis
Last edited by sg1anubis; Oct 30, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Ian,

I tried that, sadly it didn't work. If I format it Fat32, set the primary partition, the Hero3 gives an SD error. I can, however, format the card with the Hero3 once I set the primary partition. Unfortunately, it just reformats it as exFAT, so it doesn't help.

Looks like using 64gb cards with my Hero3 and iPad3 just isn't gonna work.

Thanks for the input though, it was great to learn about the MiniTool Partition Wizard software, and it was nice getting some advice on things I could try.

RCG members rock!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:45 PM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
3,771 Posts
Well, at least you tried
One thing that might still have a chance is create one partition on the card that is <32GB, and not format it. Then either put it in the gopro, format there, and see if it chose FAT32 this time, or format FAT32 on the PC.
Obviously you're losing half the card's capacity, but it might work until you get a 32GB card...
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
4,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1anubis View Post
This is the same SD card GoPro is selling and Best Buy also sells it for $70. The price seems to fluctuate on amazon, but it was $24 last Thursday. Best Buy wouldn't price match because the serial was apparently one digit off, so I left and picked one up from the Costco next door for $23.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS...=micro+sd+32gb

I haven't had any formatting or reading problems with my GoPro. Sometimes it says no SD at the moment I turn it on, but then it recognizes it. Perhaps the iPad camera connection kit doesn't support high capacity cards?
FYI - My Best Buy already had these SD cards priced matched to Amazon. I walked in this last Sunday and paid 29.88 for the 32GB Sandisk ultra card.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,774 Posts
Good idea!

Still didn't work. Gave the same SD Error. When I formatted it in the Hero3 (having only one 30gb Fat32 partition on there initially) it formatted the card back to a full 64gb exFAT partition. Wow, Hero3 is PICKY!

Thanks for the idea though. It was worth a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
Well, at least you tried
One thing that might still have a chance is create one partition on the card that is <32GB, and not format it. Then either put it in the gopro, format there, and see if it chose FAT32 this time, or format FAT32 on the PC.
Obviously you're losing half the card's capacity, but it might work until you get a 32GB card...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:37 PM
Joined Sep 2010
268 Posts
Would the GoPro Hero 2 or GoPro Hero 3 White provide better quality video?
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:43 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,684 Posts
When asking these sort of questions, just go back to the original cameras that each sensor comes from.
White = Hero HD 5MP sensor
Silver = Hero2 11MP sensor
Black = new 12MP low noise sensor.
Then compare the footage (low light comparisons and available resolutions) from each
of the original cameras.

The only thing the White and Silver cameras have over the cameras they're meant to
replace is lower distortion aspherical lens, the flat glass in the waterproof case for underwater work,
built in Wifi and smaller/lighter.

In my opinion the Hero2 is still a better camera than H3 White.

ian
RCG Plus Member