HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:08 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2012
57 Posts
Hi guys, anyone of you tried to bind their gopro 3 with an older gopro 2 remote? I bought the white version to start with (Best buy guys told me to start with this and get the black if you are disappointed), but don't know if I can bind my remote to it... Didn't find any easy way :/
Thanks in advance guys!!!
Juninou is offline Find More Posts by Juninou
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:45 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucasberg View Post
This camera is so improved it's amazing. Another cool thing I have noticed is on the GP2 when you would use medium or narrow the camera noise increased a lot but on the new GP3 black I have not noticed this.

Also when you use 2.7K the files won't play in windows or make a thumbnail. I thought they were corrupt files at first but last night when I put them into Sony Vegas11 and AE CS6 the worked fine.
Found the same on both counts. 1080p narrow on the H2 is almost 1:1 sensor
pixel to output pixel (no pixel binning) so every bit of sensor noise showed up in the video.
The H3 has so little noise that 1080p narrow is now actually quite useful.

And yes, Vegas Pro is the only thing that'll play 2.7K vids, although it doe sit at
like Preview quality, half resolution.

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:47 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,786 Posts
Juninou,

I don't believe the white or silver versions of the GoPro have wifi built in. You have to get the Hero3 Black for the wifi.
Wind_of_Change is online now Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:50 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind_of_Change View Post
Juninou,

I don't believe the white or silver versions of the GoPro have wifi built in. You have to get the Hero3 Black for the wifi.
All H3 models have Wifi built in.
H3 Black is just the only one that comes with the remote.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:39 PM
Microbursts hurt.
United States, MD, Mt Airy
Joined Jun 2005
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffa_Dan View Post
It's like all of you best buy guys are paying beta testers
Well played GoPro.
I got one earlier this week via BB (black edition). It ate two SD cards (both brand new retail Sandisk... one from BB SDXC 64, one from Radio Shack SDHC 32). GoPro support was great, we went through a number of steps, and they issued an RMA, but it would be at least a week before I would get a replacement....and I really wanted to film fall colors. I had the BB replacement plan and it was going to get complicated with a return to GoPro for this camera if I had a future problem with the replacement. So, I just did the swap at BB for the last one they had in stock that day (and I swapped both cards too).

Now I'm waiting for a weather break (or the hurricane eye would be great).

Also got a Hero2 to send back (powers up all by itself). I still used it to grab a few fall color photos.... really looking forward to try out the HD Hero3 Black.
jknust is offline Find More Posts by jknust
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Sep 2010
268 Posts
Hopefully the white edition is an improvement over the previous versions. I almost picked up a GoPro Hero HD from Walmart at $139.99, but with the GPH3 White edition at $199, I might just go with that instead.
Zangetsu57 is offline Find More Posts by Zangetsu57
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
27,704 Posts
Judging by the specs, the the Hero3 White is functionally identical to a Hero HD.

ian
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:50 AM
United States, AZ, Scottsdale
Joined Sep 2011
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by McCleary.11 View Post
Tim, at ReadyMadeRC, did some testing this morning on a GoPro3 Silver Edition while I observed. The first attempt was to get video out through the USB by hacking the stock cable. Ground tested just fine, but it currently won't send video signal. More testing is needed and will be done for the USB video out.

He did find that the micro control board, designed for the GP2, will work with the GP3:
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1091

The biggest problem is latency. We did a side by side test of the GP2 and 3 each equipped with the same control board. The GP3 had roughly double the latency and was very noticeable in direct comparison. The GP3 also had some "stuttering" as we moved the camera around the room as if the frame rate was dropping. Another downside is that the image on screen was darker than the tests with the GP2. These tests were set at 1080 and 30fps.

It is possible that the USB video out may work better once we have it figured out, but the initial results are disappointing. More testing with video out is needed on the GP3. Hopefully some of you can chime on here as well.
Have you made any progress with the live USB video out. I did some really basic testing, but I don't think I have the equipment or experience to reach a solution. I called GoPro, but they refused to release any pinout or schematic for pulling video from the usb port. Has anyone purchased a composite cable to see what's inside the plug?

I have plenty of micro USB cables I can splice into, but I don't know the pinout for the cable. I assume GoPro has taken the approach of triggering the live USB output with a series of resistors unless they have put a chip in the cable? Any ideas how to wire the following:

sg1anubis is offline Find More Posts by sg1anubis
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:07 AM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2007
100 Posts
The microUSB connector on the GoPro3 is a special connector with extra pins,
i don't think you can use a regular microUSB plug for video out.

On one side in the connector it have the regular microUSB 5 pins+ground frame.
- USB VBUS +5V?
- USB D-
- USB D+
- ID
- GND

- METAL FRAME GND

On the other side it also have 5 pins,
that must be Video Out, Left, Right and Ground.
- Video Out
- Left Audio Out
- Right Audio Out
- GND
- ?

Anyone tryed a Canon AV cable or a modificed HTC split cable?
LoopForEver is offline Find More Posts by LoopForEver
Last edited by LoopForEver; Oct 27, 2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:27 AM
Russia
Joined Nov 2007
156 Posts
Looks like it's an Enchanced miniUSB or ExtUSB.
dehicka is offline Find More Posts by dehicka
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:39 AM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2007
100 Posts
Similar like ExtUSB but not the same.

The corners looks like microUSB - and a microUSB plug fits,
but it have 5pins USB and 5pins A/V(ExtUSB have 6) + frame, but maybe it fits.

I need a GoPro HD 3 BLACK :-)
can i get someone to go to their local Best Buy or Target and buy one for me and ship with USPS ?
(PM me)
Last edited by LoopForEver; Oct 27, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:30 AM
Russia
Joined Nov 2007
156 Posts
It also has MIC IN pin. ExtUSB has only one beveled corner, so I think ExtUSB (HTC) will not fit without modification

LoopForEver
Why do you think GoPro socket has 5+5 pins and not 5+6?
dehicka is offline Find More Posts by dehicka
Last edited by dehicka; Oct 27, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:04 AM
Denmark
Joined Jan 2007
100 Posts
You can take the metal cap of the HTC(ExtUSB) and sand the corner - have done that before,
but i don't think they work, because HTC have 6(ext) pins and the GP3 have only 5..

The Canon AV cable looks good, but the metal frame does not fit right and do also have 6(ext) pins.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:13 AM
Joined Dec 2002
163 Posts
Does the wifi remote work anywhere or do you have to be near wifi service or wifi hot spot? I have the same question for the smart phone.
rjpmodel is offline Find More Posts by rjpmodel
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2012
752 Posts
Can those with the camera answer this question for me: Does the GP3 black edition come with internal storage? I have read a few accounts saying it comes with 64gb internal memory, but everything else points to micro SD card storage only. What's the real deal?
jcmonty is offline Find More Posts by jcmonty