HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:10 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
[QUOTE=ulpilotrmh;24113557]I'm using Robart hinges, the ones with the non removable pins.

Actually the hinges are DU-BRO.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:07 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Started covering the fuselage. The bottom has the most compound curves and must be covered in 2 inch wide sections. I also had to add filler pieces of balsa between the bottom stringers at the bulkhead locations to provide a surface for the edges of the Polyspan. The Polyspan is easy to work with but does not take well to compound curves. It also does not want to fit itself into a corner or over an edge without a crease in the proper location. Even so, that having been said, I still like this stuff.

Russ
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:16 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
This is the most involved covering job I've ever done. Turns out I'll need to cover almost the entire fuselage in 2" wide strips, just like I did on the bottom. In order to insure good clean transistions from one section to the next I have to add balsa pieces between the stringers to accept the edges of the covering. Kinda tedious but doable. I still like the Polyspan.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:21 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Rudder and elevator controls installed. I was going to use Sullivan Golden Rods but thought something more traditional befitting the age of the design of the T-72 would be better. Although The push rods are carbon fiber, rather than the more traditional hard balsa. I have lots of CF tubing on hand in the form of arrow shafts.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:30 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Finally the covering is all in place. Just need a few coats of clear dope. I'm pleased with how it came out. As to colors, I think I'll wait until after the maiden. I plan to do the yellow with red trim as shown on the original 1941 plan.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:41 PM
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2011
1,025 Posts
Looking great.
TScott1118 is online now Find More Posts by TScott1118
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:00 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Louvers, we got louvers . I have a Turbo Spinner for the T-72 and was wondering how to provide a way for the cooling air to get out of the fuse. Just for the heck of it I decided to see if I could make up a couple of louvers for an exhaust. I have a small amount of Litho Plate and milled a louver die on the edge of a piece of hard wood. Rounded the end of a dowel to fit the die. I didn't bother anealing the litho plate and just eased the metal into the form. I cut the louvers out of the litho plate and cemented them to the Polyspan with dope after cutting out the slot. I surprised myself.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:06 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TScott1118 View Post
Looking great.
Thanks TScott. Although I think it's gonna look kinda fat when I fit the hatch cover and nose piece. It does have more than enough room for all the stuff that goes inside.

Russ
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:47 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Couldn't resist! Had to get some pics of the plane 'assembled.' It's not quite finished, still need to fit magnets and dowels to hold together the nose block and hatch cover.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:08 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
earlier today I was checking out the arrangement of the components in the plane and plugged in the lipo to make sure all was working. I noticed there was some vibration and buzzing at near full throttle. I also noticed the prop was trying to pull the motor shell off the plane and take off across the shop. So I knocked that off and dicided to see how well I can balance the prop.

First I compared the weight of each blade down to a 10th of an ounce or 1 gram. Did this by lightly sanding until they were equal as far as I can measure. Then I put the assembled blades and spinner in my altered magnetic balancer. I don't think I can get it better than the pics show.

Actually I think the buzzing was caused by the motor housing having been pulled partly off the windings.

Russ
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:13 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
I wish this site would either indicate how many characters are allowed in the text of a photo caption, and/or allow one to edit the text to fit.

Russ
Last edited by ulpilotrmh; Feb 23, 2013 at 04:43 AM.