HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:42 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Got an email from Mike at Aerosente in reguard to the mailing of the plan. The USPS tracking site shows the package remains in PA, but Mike says the plan was sent as Parcel Post and the tracking info is useless in that case. He estimates the plan should be delivered tomorrow or tuesday. You learn something every day
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 04:21 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
The plan arrived thursday, same plan as the first one. Turns out there is no plan that is drawn for the laser cut kit with the built up pod. I contacted the person who built my kit in a build log in 2006 in this forum and he says there was no plan with his either. Figuring out how it goes together will not be a problem, following the 2006 build log and using common sense. I am going to deviate a little right off the bat by planking the pod. I need a little more space inside the pod and planking will provide another 1/4 inch interior width. For the 2006 build log search "Two Guys Building Thermics."

Russ
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:57 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Got started today on actually building the Thermic. I ordered the motor (Hacker A20-20L) and can't build the pod untill I have the motor. So, I'll start with the wing. I milled vertical grain cypress to match the laser cut balsa spars that were supplied in the kit and weighed them. The balsa spars weigh 19g and the cypress spars weigh 65g. Quite a difference but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Russ
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:07 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Started on the right side wing using the cypress spars I milled and had all the center section ribs glued in place, including the 1/4" square leading edge, when I realized the R1 and R2 ribs did not allow for the 1/16" sheeting or dihedrial braces. removed the R1 and R2 ribs plus the R3 rib. Made an aluminum rib pattern that allows for 1/16" sheeting on top and bottom of the center section, and for the 3/32" AC ply dihedrial braces. Stacked 1/16" sheet and scribed the rib shape and sanded to the line.

I had wrapped the spar sections with Kevlar Tow where the sections overlap.

The plan calls for 7/32" sheet to be used to make to trailing edge sections. The short kit includes 1/8" thick parts that are notched for the ribs and can be laminated to form the thickness needed for the TE. I am going to use 1/4" balsa sheet and mill the pieces on my table saw. They will be tapered and notched to provide the needed contour without planing and sanding.

Pics in next post.

Russ
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Here are a couple more pics from today showing the trailing edge sections I milled on my tablesaw. Now I need to notch them for the ribs. Can't do that on the tablesaw cuz the blade has too wide a kerf. The ribs are 1/16." Think I might be able to notch on my scrollsaw using a modified file.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:19 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Here are more pics showing the setup I use to notch LE and TE's, piece 0' cake.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Discovered another oversight. The bottoms of the spars need to have a slight bevel to accomodate the undercamber of the ribs 'cause the bottom of the spars are flush with the rib contour. This is not mentioned on the plans, but is readily apparent in the drawing of each rib. I have stripped 1/32" x 1/16" strips from 1/16" sheet and will use them as capstrips on the rib bottoms. I'll have to do this on both wing halves to keep them identical.

The trailing edge I milled on the tablesaw worked out okay. There's a lot of sanding to be done on the TE because of the planform of the wing and I've ordered a 1/2" hand held belt sander to hopefully make that an easier task.

Made up dihedral braces out of 1/8" AC ply and epoxied them in place with my fovorite West Marine System.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:53 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
No pics today. Had home projects to do and only got a couple of hours in the shop. Stripped 1/16" x 1/32" capstrips for the undercamber to correct the problem with the missing bevels on the bottoms of the spars. These cap strips have to be be in 3 sections. Did the first 3 ribs next to the center section sheeting. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get some pics that are in focus enough to show them.

Made a wide sanding block to match the contour of the undercamber. Worked out pretty good.

My hand held mini belt sander is on its way and will be put to immediate use as soon as it arrives.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:43 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
This morning I continued with the tedious task of the 1/32" x 1/16" capstrips on the undercamber.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:15 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
343 Posts
Yesterday's progress.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:16 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010