HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:32 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
340 Posts
Build Log
Thermic 72

I have ordered and recieved the laser cut short kit from Aerosente, as soon as I recieve the correct set of plans to go with the kit, I'll get started on it. I have all the parts cut out of the balsa sheets, that's right, the parts had to be cut out and I'm not talking about the small breaks in the laser cut lines. For some reason the laser beam made it all the way thru in only about 1/3 of the sheets. I don't know why this happened but perhaps some quality control would be in order, including making sure the plans sent are for the kit in the box.

Other than the problems mentioned above the kit seems to be worth the cost.

One other thing, the Aerosente guys seem to make up the kits on an "As Ordered" basis, so don't expect a delivery in only a week or two. My kit was delivered just short of a month after I ordered it, and I've yet to see the correct set of plans to go with it.

I can't wait to get this started. It will be electric and might even fly in some ALES events.

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:24 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
146 Posts
I built one 2-3 months ago. Didn't have your problems with the plans or laser-cutting.....but....make sure you reinforce all the dihedral breaks very well and substitute pine/spruce spars for the stock balsa spars. The stock spars WILL NOT stand up to electric conversion....or even light hi-start use....ask me how I know My fuselage is salvageable, the wings aren't worth the effort...
banjo328 is offline Find More Posts by banjo328
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:15 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
340 Posts
banjo,

I already have cyprus spars milled out and ready for use. I could tell the balsa spars weren't gonna work in this wing. Yesterday I was informed that the correct plan would be in the mail friday. Is your Thermic electric? Did your wing fail on the maiden flight?

Russ
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
340 Posts
Still waiting for the correct plans.

Russ
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:42 PM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
340 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the "Laser Cut" parts.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:19 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Russ
A build thread, while you wait
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1535361
Rick
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Here's a link to the plan from 1945
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post19622429
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:40 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,313 Posts
I applaud your choice of subject but I feel you should have asked for a replacement short kit. For the parts to not be cut through is a sad example of quality control. One which any producer with a shred of self worth would correct quickly.

And I say that not to cast any dispersions on Aerosente but to urge you to give him a chance to correct the flaw which I'm sure he would be apolegetic over allowing to see go out. I'm assuming he's a hobbyist like us which is trying to do a little to pay for his addiction to balsa dust and fumes. And like so many solo gigs in the model production world he's likely got a day time job so he's doing these short kits in his spare time. Give him a chance to make right which I'm sure he'd appreciate.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:57 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
340 Posts
BMatthews,

Maybe you're correct, but I again point out that I ordered (and paid for) the kit 47 days ago and have not yet put together the first 2 pieces for want of the correct plans. Also someone else has the same problem seeing as he got the wrong plan for his original Thermic 70 design with the solid balsa "Pod." I should have had the correct plan several days ago.

I have sold lots of stuff on eBay to help finance my hobby and a couple of times I've had to go to extraorninary lengths to correct an error I made in a shipment. I am only wanting the same kind of service I myself would provide.

Russ
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:34 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jan 2010
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilotrmh View Post
banjo,

I already have cyprus spars milled out and ready for use. I could tell the balsa spars weren't gonna work in this wing. Yesterday I was informed that the correct plan would be in the mail friday. Is your Thermic electric? Did your wing fail on the maiden flight?

Russ
It was originally electric....the wing failed on the second flight so I repaired the break, removed all the electrics to lighten it, flew off a small hi-start 3-4 times, wing broke again in a new spot......haven't repaired it since.....
banjo328 is offline Find More Posts by banjo328
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:30 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick.benjamin View Post
Here's a link to the plan from 1945
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post19622429
This is the plan that came with my kit. It is a beautiful copy, but useless with the present kit.

Russ
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:47 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
340 Posts
Speaking of plans, it has been over a week since I was told the correct plan was in the mail, yet it still has not arrived. Probably delayed by Illinois Customs.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:13 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
340 Posts
Oops, I just recalled I have a tracking number for Aerosente's mailing. My problem is now with The USPS. A week ago they expected the delivery to be by Oct. 25, but according to the info on the tracking site the shipment is still in the Illinois sort facility.

If the delivery doesn't happen today I guess I'll have to deal with USPS.

Russ
Old Oct 27, 2012, 04:52 AM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
Good Luck, Russ!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
340 Posts
Thanks Rick, It'll probably take some luck of the good sort. My dealings with our government are part of the reason why I fly models instead of the "Real airplanes."

Russ