Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:51 PM
United States, MN, White Bear Lake
Joined Aug 2011
101 Posts
Lift lift lift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
So for our purposes, a cloudless sky is as good as a cloudy one?
An observation of mine -- (I fly DLG exclusively) -- I have yet to find a day where there is simply no lift. And I've flown every month of the calendar, in Minnesota.

Some days there are easy pickings, but there is always movement in the air, your job is to find it.
mndlg is offline Find More Posts by mndlg
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:04 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
So for our purposes, a cloudless sky is as good as a cloudy one?
Clouds are indicators, not gurantees. There may be thermals under those clouds but whether you can reach them or not is another matter.

Clouds also offer contrast and reference points that are missing in a clear sky. It is easier to judge if you are climbing or sinking with clouds in the sky. And planes are often more visible against the clouds then the blank blue sky.

I like some nice white fluffy clouds in the sky when I fly. If nothing else, they look nice.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 18, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:36 PM
Angleton, Texas
Joined Mar 2007
304 Posts
There is a real wealth of information under the Thermal Soaring section .
The beginner section has a huge amount of informatiion that is good for even us experienced sailplane pilots to reread....time to time.
The best part of RC Sailplane soaring ...is the many things you get to read in the air, its a finese. A test of you, your sailplane, and the river of air right in front of you. It's different everytime you fly.
Read all you can....join a group of sailplane flyers....you will love the sport.
Have fun,
John
TexasThermalKing is offline Find More Posts by TexasThermalKing
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,258 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndlg View Post
An observation of mine -- (I fly DLG exclusively) -- I have yet to find a day where there is simply no lift. And I've flown every month of the calendar, in Minnesota.

Some days there are easy pickings, but there is always movement in the air, your job is to find it.
I prefer the easy picking days myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Clouds are indicators, not guarantees. There may be thermals under those clouds but whether you can reach them or not is another matter.

Clouds also offer contrast and reference points that are missing in a clear sky. It is easier to judge if you are climbing or sinking with clouds in the sky. And planes are often more visible against the clouds then the blank blue sky.

I like some nice white fluffy clouds in the sky when I fly. If nothing else, they look nice.
I wasn't necessarily suggesting that we should get our models up under those cumulus clouds. That's for the big boys. I do, however, get the impression that cumulus clouds indicate the presence of lift on a particular day. Cloudless days are more likely to have uniform air temperatures throughout an area. Cumulus clouds indicate pockets of higher temperature and pockets lower temperature.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
greg
somerset, nj
Joined Feb 2005
371 Posts
see lee murray's article on page 22
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-1999-09.pdf
ciurpita is offline Find More Posts by ciurpita
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:44 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,895 Posts
The best days are when, if you really pay attention, you can just barely stay up for a long time.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:23 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
When wife says "Yes darling, sure you can go" and weather cooperates...
FRIDAY_2008 is offline Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Oct 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,258 Posts
Your in Greece. It always cooperates.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:43 AM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
Lol, thats true...
FRIDAY_2008 is offline Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
952 Posts
I'm still waiting for one of those perfect days when the lift is everywhere and there's no sink. Then after four hours I can call my doctor and say " Doc,I've had it up for 4 hours,what should I do".
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:36 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,895 Posts
You won't be able to do that. If the lift is everywhere, all the air will go up, none of it will be going down, and you'll be trying to breath vacuum. But don't worry about it, because if by some quantum mechanical fluke it happens, you won't have any problems anyway.

And don't try tying anything around your field....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:50 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,828 Posts
All seasons? In Minnesota? Have you ever thought that you may have been creating some of those thermals?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Dec 2001
6,895 Posts
If you have someone turn up the thermostat and then fly over the house, you'll look like a genius. I know from experience that an oil furnace on a medium sized house sends up enough heat through the chimney to keep a two meter up.
RCG Plus Member