SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:13 PM
Switzerland, ZH, Zurich
Joined Oct 2011
48 Posts
Discussion
MCP-X vs NANO CP X: which one for learning 3D?

Hi all,

I have a Blade MCP-X and I can do hovering in all the 4 directions with no problems. I would like to start learning some 3d, for example some flips.

Do you think the new NANO-CP X might be a better choice (since it is smaller, I imagine it might be more resistant to crashes...).. or should I try with the MCP-X directly?

thank you all for your advices!
demiluk is offline Find More Posts by demiluk
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
If it were me and I was already used to the mcpx anyway, I would just learn 3d with it, seeing as how you already own one.

But there's a similar discussion in the electric heli forum, seems in favor of the nano. Check it out.:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1752637
finguz is online now Find More Posts by finguz
Old Oct 16, 2012, 08:07 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
The problems of learning 3D on a mCPX are well known and falls into two categories.

1. Tail blowouts when too much collective is applied.
2. Motor bogging down when inverted and leading to a crash.

Experts can avoid the above by using "good collective management" but this means little to a beginner. By and large, the issue of tail blowouts have reduced with the current tail but the problem is still there. The most effective method is to go brushless so that the ESC bypasses the board and drives the main motor directly. '

The Nano CPX does not seem to have the above problems and therefore can be flown with confidence in its stock form. By all means, you can have a try. But I would either go brushless or get a Nano CPX if you get into trouble.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Simulator!

If you are wanting to learn 3D, Your best investment buy far is a flight Simulator
like Real Flight with a good selection of 3D Helicopters!

MCPX is a good 3D trainer but you should install or have a main motor Fet installed for the tail rotor on the board and then use 120SR tail motor!
Then back the pitch off so the head does not bog down!
Better to have it screaming at full pitch than puke on you when you need power!

Cut the aileron and elevator back to about 7 deg + & - as well
Then you have something you can toss around!

It's all in the setup with MCPX

I'm hearing good things about Nano but I have not seen of flown one yet!
Ron
Imzzaudae is offline Find More Posts by Imzzaudae
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
I vote nCPX. It flies better than the mCPX and you will probably break enough mCPX parts to pay for the nCPX learning 3D anyway. You will break fewer parts with the nCPX.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:54 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
The nano is better but you won't learn 3D with it... you can do 3D with it if you know how, but for learning I think a bigger copter is better. It is a good trainer, but its hard to flip over.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:46 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,058 Posts
Larger Heli even in the sim is far easier to attempt 3D, all correct. Yet to master 3D but managed several forward roll overs with the nano, my first, recovery not always, but it's light weight does take a beating.

Still debating on size needed to improve, super fun.
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Apr 2012
19 Posts
I have had an mcpx and i think it sucked until i put an hp05 in it then it had enough power to pull out of risky situations. but it was always breaking. if you want to learn 3d you need somthing you can crash the hell out of and do minimal to no repairs. i have a nano now and i wish i had it when i was learning. it just doesnt want to break. i mean the landing gear is crap but thats cheap. also its much more capable of hard 3d maneuvers.
steiger117 is offline Find More Posts by steiger117
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:47 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiger117 View Post
I have had an mcpx and i think it sucked until i put an hp05 in it then it had enough power to pull out of risky situations. but it was always breaking. if you want to learn 3d you need somthing you can crash the hell out of and do minimal to no repairs. i have a nano now and i wish i had it when i was learning. it just doesnt want to break. i mean the landing gear is crap but thats cheap. also its much more capable of hard 3d maneuvers.
I got a mcpx, and it's fun, but it doesn't like to be inverted. And when you do flip inverted the motor isn't powerful enough to catch your heli unless you flip just right and catch it.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, NC
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
I have been flying the mcpx almost daily for the last month or so and finally went inverted for the first time a few days ago! I feel fairly confident in nose inverted hover, but still get an acute case of dumb thumbs in other inverted orientations every once in a while. As some other guys have mentioned, getting a lot of sim time really helped, but what it didn't simulate IMO, was how sloppy my first couple of entries into inverted would be. What worked well for me was to roll the mcpx backwards until it was right side up again. I did that a few times (very ugly) and then eventually stopped it when it was inverted and try to hold it for a few seconds before bailing out. After doing that for a few days, now I can run through all 4 of my batteries nose in inverted, even in winds up to 10 mph.

So, to answer your question. I think since you already have the mcpx, you can definitely learn to fly inverted, but once you progress, the tail blow out problems do become aggravating. I have a stock bird, and the first few times of flipping it over, it feels like I'm trying to catch an egg. I'm thinking about leaving it stock until I get comfortable flying inverted in all orientations and maybe inverted FF before I invest in brushless or a Nano.

I'm still a newbie, so I don't know if it's worth the coin to upgrade your mcpx or grab a Nano.

I'd like to give a BIG THANKS to everyone on this forum! Part of the reason my skills have progresses so quickly is because of the posts I read almost daily on here.

I'd like to thank lmzzaudae (Ron) in particular....thanks so much for all the time you spent helping us newbies in getting things setup.
posrate is offline Find More Posts by posrate
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:06 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
I think the stock mCPX is quite a good trainer for inverted hovering and flight. But the real problem is getting it into a stable inverted position in the first place. That is without the motor being bogged down or the tail being blown out.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I think the stock mCPX is quite a good trainer for inverted hovering and flight. But the real problem is getting it into a stable inverted position in the first place. That is without the motor being bogged down or the tail being blown out.
that's what i'm sayin, how do you do that?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:48 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
that's what i'm sayin, how do you do that?
The important phrase to remember is "as if catching a falling egg" when applying negative pitch. So you have to be really gentle with the collective.

I would get the heli to a height of at least 20 ft and then apply a bit of postive pitch so that the heli starts to rise. Then I would flip it inverted and pull the throttle stick down at the same time. Continue to pull the throttle stick down once the heli is in an inverted position until the heli stops dropping. It doesn't matter if it drops more than 10 ft or so initially, you will be able to reduce the air it cuts through eventually with practice.
Last edited by zadaw; Oct 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Yeah this thing is just really sensitive. Part of me knows I just have to get the feel of the heli and try it again and again, but it hurts me everytime I watch it smash into the ground because the negative doesn't catch it. I'll try more altitude like you said.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:47 PM
Fly,crash,repair,repeat.
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Oct 2011
40 Posts
The way I did it was to put it in a box with all of its broken parts, close the lid and go buy a nano. It flies like the mcpx always should've.
neoalchemist74 is offline Find More Posts by neoalchemist74