HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:36 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
I think pretty much everything has been mentioned here, but I found pipe cleaners are pretty useful for getting clogs out of tanks and needle valves, and a wax/release agent for molds etc. And Q Tips for the field box to get the dirt out of the venturi from noseovers (ok crashes) I got a lot of stuff from garage sales. Scroll saws, band saws, drill presses( they keep getting cheaper so I get more all the time. $30, $10, and the last one was $5) and even a Taig lathe. I already had a Hardinge lathe but thought it would save a trip to the garage on a cold day.
Never done with tool ideas ,how about those thick foam that comes around some electronics . Most is no good for building airplanes and i get 2 inch thick sheets off of my job sites thats no good either but i do cut 12 inch long by around 8 inches and use it to stick all my screwdrivers and needle nose plyers in too. You can use a big paddle bit or just carve spots for a glue holder or any other small thing you want so you can see it on your work bench. Great tool for me cause i have a smaller piece for any screwdrivers iam using now and just stick them in it fast by my plane iam building so it dont end up on the floor or find that tool again fast. joe
cracksmeup is online now Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:10 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
This post isn't so much a tool as it is a modification to a tool. I've had my Foremost miter sander for over 10 years and simply can't do without it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can be hard to get the miter arm to stay in place while sanding ply or hardwood even if you get the pivot screw really tight. I've been meaning to do this mod for years and tonight finally took a few minutes to knock it out. I just used a square to hold the arm at true 90 degrees and drilled a 1/8" hole through the arm and into the base. I cut a 1" piece of 1/8" music wire and rounded the ends. Stuck it in the hole and viola! Locked in place and no more 1 or 2 degree mistakes in joints because the miter arm was moving around while sanding. I could also drill holes every 15 degrees too but don't see a need yet.

Joe
Nice mod Joe!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:58 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
Quote:
This post isn't so much a tool as it is a modification to a tool. I've had my Foremost miter sander for over 10 years and simply can't do without it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can be hard to get the miter arm to stay in place while sanding ply or hardwood even if you get the pivot screw really tight. I've been meaning to do this mod for years and tonight finally took a few minutes to knock it out. I just used a square to hold the arm at true 90 degrees and drilled a 1/8" hole through the arm and into the base. I cut a 1" piece of 1/8" music wire and rounded the ends. Stuck it in the hole and viola! Locked in place and no more 1 or 2 degree mistakes in joints because the miter arm was moving around while sanding. I could also drill holes every 15 degrees too but don't see a need yet.

Joe
I have been tossing around the idea of buying the foremost sander for years now and iam glad to finaly read a builder like's them joe . joe
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:06 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I have been tossing around the idea of buying the foremost sander for years now and iam glad to finaly read a builder like's them joe . joe
For stick building or anywhere you need precise angles this tool is indispensable! I can get perfect joints every time.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:32 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,918 Posts
That is one tool that I have always wanted and never got around to getting it.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,277 Posts
Yesterday I received my latest toy/tool for building
It is a tiny 7mm diameter USB camera. It can be inserted into wings or fuses to investigateor troubleshoot. Fun toy for $20!
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,574 Posts
Now thats a good idea!
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined May 2003
1,277 Posts
I will try to take some pics this weekend if anyone is interested.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:03 PM
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun View Post
It is a tiny 7mm diameter USB camera. It can be inserted into wings or fuses to investigateor troubleshoot. Fun toy for $20!
Could be very useful at finding dropped screws and such in hard to reach places. How long is the cable?

Regards
Frank
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:23 PM
Joined May 2003
1,277 Posts
7m. Shorter cameras are cheaper, but never know
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:28 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,386 Posts
Quote:
For stick building or anywhere you need precise angles this tool is indispensable! I can get perfect joints every time.

Joe
I have thought about building my own because i was a carpenter for 29 years but i fugered i could not beat the 20 buck price of them. joe
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:51 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I have thought about building my own because i was a carpenter for 29 years but i fugered i could not beat the 20 buck price of them. joe
Way back when I bought mine I'm pretty certain it was well under $10.00. But then again gas was probably under $1.00 a gallon......

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:45 PM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,829 Posts
I use a clear polyethylene drop cloth to cover my plans. Totally transparent, unlike parchment or wax paper and doesn't stick to itself like Saran Wrap. In fact nothing sticks to it, including most modelling glues. It's tougher than SW too. AND it comes in sheets big enough to cover the largest of plans - or even the entire workbench if need be. Get the thinner grades (no thicker than 2 mil) as they are easier to flatten out.

Also, putting a scrap piece of pile carpet under the work bench will keep dropped things from bouncing out of sight (easier on the feet during a long night of standing too). Obviously make sure the piece is large enough to cover the work area. I got this idea from working on my bicycle. You would be amazed at just how far a small steel ball bearing will wander if given the chance!
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Last edited by Fly Wheel; Dec 15, 2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined May 2003
1,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsoar4fun View Post
For those interested I posted a mini review and pics here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1796231
Old Dec 29, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, WI, Slinger
Joined Mar 2006
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
OH OH!! GLUES!!

CA - quick fixes, too expensive for anything else.
I use a variety of glues on a model depending on the need but the glue I use the most is CA. Makes for a lighter model for one thing. I don't consider it too expensive.

Mike
MikeCr is online now Find More Posts by MikeCr