Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:01 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
I picked up an adjustable speed drill press from a vacuum store of all places. He wanted $50 and all I had was $42. Sold!

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:16 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Since we're talking about larger tools, here is an old Delta scroll saw I picked up from the original owner off craigslist for $75. It is extremely heavy duty cast iron construction and came with its original stand and work light; it has variable speed with a strokes-per-minutes digital readout!
SCORE on this one its better than the one i have . NICE scroll saw! I know Frank and Freddie are old time builders but for the new guy's that think that its going to cost a fortune to buy nice bigger tools its just not so. Craigs list ,flea markets and garage sales /estate sales are great for finding big power tools and cheap. I have found scroll saws as little as 3 bucks for a dremel scroll saw i bought at a garage sale .I used it till i found one better and then gave my old one to my son . I had 2 kids in college and could not afford brand new tools in my younger days but i still was able to buy every thing i needed cheap to build with . Nice score too Frank .. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Oct 22, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:19 PM
wood is good
United States, CA, Marina Del Rey
Joined Jun 2012
1,329 Posts
Another indispensable tool is what I call a Japanese keyhole saw:
http://www.garrettwade.com/japanese-...aw/p/49I09.01/
Cuts on the pull stroke.
loNslo is offline Find More Posts by loNslo
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:46 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,223 Posts
Brass tubing in various sizes. I use an old razor saw to cut angled slots in one end. It then becomes a perfect hole saw for making super clean openings in ribs or balsa formers for snaking servo wires/cables/rods etc. No more ripped up holes from trying to use a drill bit.

I also use tubing wrapped in sticky back sand paper for sanding those tricky rounded openings that nothing else seems to work well on.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by loNslo View Post
Another indispensable tool is what I call a Japanese keyhole saw:
http://www.garrettwade.com/japanese-...aw/p/49I09.01/
Cuts on the pull stroke.
I have some of those but wider and longer they come in handy for cutting off bigger stuff with no tear out . joe
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Nov 2004
3,213 Posts
3m77 classic
Cabosil
Craft sticks
Craft picks
Razor Plane-- the kind that uses double edge blades
Single edge razor blades
Double edge razor blades
Self Healing cutting mat
Single incandescent light fixture
3m flexible sanding block (auto body supply store)
Acid brushes
Plastic spreaders
Epoxy mixing cups
#60-#80 drill bit set
tap and die set, english and metric
Countersink bits
Needle nose pliers
Hemostats
Snap ring pliers
Paste wax
Polishing compound/ Scratch remover
1500/2000/3000 sanding pads
Building board
Screw extractors
Hot wire cutter
Brass drift set
Silver solder
Flexible flush cut saw

Sorry if I duplicated, you have a long list....
mnowell129 is offline Find More Posts by mnowell129
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnowell129 View Post
3m77 classic
Cabosil
Craft sticks
Craft picks
Razor Plane-- the kind that uses double edge blades
Single edge razor blades
Double edge razor blades
Self Healing cutting mat
Single incandescent light fixture
3m flexible sanding block (auto body supply store)
Acid brushes
Plastic spreaders
Epoxy mixing cups
#60-#80 drill bit set
tap and die set, english and metric
Countersink bits
Needle nose pliers
Hemostats
Snap ring pliers
Paste wax
Polishing compound/ Scratch remover
1500/2000/3000 sanding pads
Building board
Screw extractors
Hot wire cutter
Brass drift set
Silver solder
Flexible flush cut saw

Sorry if I duplicated, you have a long list....
You missed a big magnet for finding all the small screws i drop on the floor. joe
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:33 AM
Flying Low
United States, VA, Petersburg
Joined Mar 2012
578 Posts
a First Aid Kit.
(now I found the exacto knife, where to the other part of my thumb go?) I'm sure we have all been here at some point of another.
cbarnes0061 is offline Find More Posts by cbarnes0061
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:59 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,223 Posts
And how 'bout yet another tool..... The Midwest Easy Cutter I've had mine for at least 15 years and finally took them out of the package for the first time today. I'm finding them indispensable for cutting the tiny 3/32" balsa and basswood stringers in my rubber to R/C build. I definitely didn't pay anywhere near what these puppies cost now but after using them the going price is worth every penny! A quick cut then a final sand to exact size on my Foremost miter sander and I have a perfect fit every time.

Joe
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:54 PM
Corpus Christi, Texas, United States
Joined May 2003
1,271 Posts
I stumbled across the darndest tool a while back, now I can't live without it. I bought a small vacuum that attaches to the top of a 5g bucket. I have it hanging underneath my work bench in a semi permanent way. Since its always handy it keeps small messes from becoming big messes. It's also excellent it finding wayward parts I thought I had put in a container.

This one:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...&storeId=10051
rcsoar4fun is online now Find More Posts by rcsoar4fun
Old Oct 29, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Jun 2009
3,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
And how 'bout yet another tool..... The Midwest Easy Cutter I've had mine for at least 15 years and finally took them out of the package for the first time today. I'm finding them indispensable for cutting the tiny 3/32" balsa and basswood stringers in my rubber to R/C build. I definitely didn't pay anywhere near what these puppies cost now but after using them the going price is worth every penny! A quick cut then a final sand to exact size on my Foremost miter sander and I have a perfect fit every time.

Joe
I keep on telling myself iam going to order a foremost miter sander and one of there cutter's but i never get it done. They look great if you do alot of stick building. joe
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:44 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,223 Posts
This post isn't so much a tool as it is a modification to a tool. I've had my Foremost miter sander for over 10 years and simply can't do without it. The only thing I don't like about it is that it can be hard to get the miter arm to stay in place while sanding ply or hardwood even if you get the pivot screw really tight. I've been meaning to do this mod for years and tonight finally took a few minutes to knock it out. I just used a square to hold the arm at true 90 degrees and drilled a 1/8" hole through the arm and into the base. I cut a 1" piece of 1/8" music wire and rounded the ends. Stuck it in the hole and viola! Locked in place and no more 1 or 2 degree mistakes in joints because the miter arm was moving around while sanding. I could also drill holes every 15 degrees too but don't see a need yet.

Joe
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,500 Posts
OH OH!! GLUES!!

CA - quick fixes, too expensive for anything else.
Titebond - general building.
30 minute epoxy - high strength areas, firewalls, tail section, wing saddle.
Any other epoxy - mix with denatured alcohol and fuel proof.
Goop - to stick anything to polyester glass fuse. I dont have much luck with epoxy sticking to it. Also secures air tanks.
Finish Reson - small glass jobs like a 1/5 scale warbird. Cheaper than buying a bunch of west systems reson.
For making cowls - 30 min epoxy, stays semi flexible, light, and durable. Finish Reson, cures a little harder but still flexible, light and durable. Never used polyester.
Gorilla Glue- Foam wing sheeting (used to use ProBond but cant find it anymore). Also used for robart hinge points, just takes a little.
RC-56 - Canopy glue, (when I dont need screws).

Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:32 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Too bad this couldn't be a sticky. This question is asked a lot.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:11 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,332 Posts
I think pretty much everything has been mentioned here, but I found pipe cleaners are pretty useful for getting clogs out of tanks and needle valves, and a wax/release agent for molds etc. And Q Tips for the field box to get the dirt out of the venturi from noseovers (ok crashes) I got a lot of stuff from garage sales. Scroll saws, band saws, drill presses( they keep getting cheaper so I get more all the time. $30, $10, and the last one was $5) and even a Taig lathe. I already had a Hardinge lathe but thought it would save a trip to the garage on a cold day.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed