HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:18 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,086 Posts
jabram, Thank you for both explanations. I doubt I'll do much/any indoor flying with my frame, but it's good to know that GPS connection without lock can cause issues...which I wouldn't others suspect.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:27 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Details here http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-m...ki/Datalogging

A 3DRadio and a laptop makes all that a LOT easier, plus you can watch it live or replay it later.
Okay, I did find that earlier. I did my first test flight today (~10 minutes). When I went into the CLI and opened the Log Download it showed no logs. I even had some back yard hover flights with GPS lock and they didn't show up in the logs either. The CLI does show GPS Enabled...more testing to figure out I guess.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:36 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Mar 2012
199 Posts
Wasted an evening trying to figure out why my APM wouldn't arm and showed 0s in radio configuration. Come to find out a simple hit of the reset button fixed everything. I will have my maiden tomorrow.
Guru06 is offline Find More Posts by Guru06
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:10 PM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,353 Posts
Quote:
I am using HK 20A ESC flashed with SimonK and also RCtimer 30A already flashed with Simonk.

The Rctimer 30A ESC do NOT have a real Crystal oscillator, RCtimer really really unwisely saved 5 cents and use the internal RC oscillator which can drift a lot and thereby can be a problem because ESC calibration will drift where there are large temperature variations, MOST ESC have a real crystal oscillator which is much better.
As a follow up....and to show that RCTimer and I are paying attention
I spoke to Frank, here is the results

[9:13:29 PM] rctimerskype: SimonK :
I am not able to see the problem with the throttle calibration with
the version you are using. I have attached the latest version which I
suggest using whenever there is no oscillator. Thiswill calibrate to
the same timing as the original version that you first started to
ship, and runs at the same nearly 16MHz internally. It should give the
best performance, but it will NOT work when there is an 8MHz
oscillator present.

I mentioned that I was having some problems with calibration of RCT 30A ESC on ArduFlyer 2.5
as well
RYBAT is online now Find More Posts by RYBAT
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:07 AM
Attention to the small details
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Okay, I did find that earlier. I did my first test flight today (~10 minutes). When I went into the CLI and opened the Log Download it showed no logs. I even had some back yard hover flights with GPS lock and they didn't show up in the logs either. The CLI does show GPS Enabled...more testing to figure out I guess.
You found no logs on you PC because they don't exist on your PC UNTIL you download them into your PC Arducopter is great but they are still working on downloading logs by telepathy

The logs are still on your ArduFlyer, you need to run Mission Planner and download them to your PC - then you can Graph or Playback the logs you downloaded.

In Mission Planner - Terminal - click on the Log Download TAB and select one or more logs to download

Wait for it to complete, it make some time to download if it is a long log, when done it looks like this

You can then either graph them by clicking on the Log Browse TAB

or Play them by clicking on Flight Data TAB - Telemetry Logs - Load Log - Play
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:11 AM
Attention to the small details
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYBAT View Post
As a follow up....and to show that RCTimer and I are paying attention
I spoke to Frank, here is the results

[9:13:29 PM] rctimerskype: SimonK :
I am not able to see the problem with the throttle calibration with
the version you are using. I have attached the latest version which I
suggest using whenever there is no oscillator. Thiswill calibrate to
the same timing as the original version that you first started to
ship, and runs at the same nearly 16MHz internally. It should give the
best performance, but it will NOT work when there is an 8MHz
oscillator present.

I mentioned that I was having some problems with calibration of RCT 30A ESC on ArduFlyer 2.5
as well
Great, I have not had calibration issues with my Rctimer SimonK 30A ESC, they seem to work just fine as shipped about 5 weeks ago.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:16 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
yes, my recent flight:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Does the APM create/save/store GPS tracking data...so you can play back and watch your flight on the map? I saw something in the CLI about GPS logs, but not sure how to get to them for play back.
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:55 AM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
909 Posts
Hey, I set up an F330 clone frame and loaded up 2.9f/w.

On the 4th flight I tried loiter mode. I didn't touch the controls for 9 minutes. It stayed in about a 5meter diameter circle and varied in height about 2 meters.

Pretty impressive I think. Running all stock settings, even the GPS is still loaded with the settings that came delivered from rctimer. I haven't even covered the baro as yet, the APM is on the lower frame.
danger_mouse is offline Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Last edited by danger_mouse; Jan 21, 2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:00 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
Is there altitude hold flight mode in ArduPilot ArduPlane firmware?
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:10 AM
Portugal, Lisbon, Sintra
Joined Jul 2011
483 Posts
With this winter cold here a summer video flown with scratch built Tricopter with plush ESCs with BLHeli and APM 2.5

No more Winter FPV... remembering Summer - Flown with Dragon Link (0 min 38 sec)
flyboygaac is offline Find More Posts by flyboygaac
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
909 Posts
Vid of the second flight of my F330.

F330 with APM2.5 2nd flight (10 min 12 sec)
danger_mouse is offline Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:03 AM
Joined Apr 2006
1,220 Posts
hi y'all.. the A,B,C LED. can one make an outside LED connection...cuz mine is inside the frame (TBS Disco)... difficult to see those lights.....can any1 of these pin be assign to an LED..
barok is offline Find More Posts by barok
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:25 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,086 Posts
Quote:
You found no logs on you PC because they don't exist on your PC UNTIL you download them into your PC Arducopter is great but they are still working on downloading logs by telepathy

The logs are still on your ArduFlyer, you need to run Mission Planner and download them to your PC - then you can Graph or Playback the logs you downloaded.

In Mission Planner - Terminal - click on the Log Download TAB and select one or more logs to download

Wait for it to complete, it make some time to download if it is a long log, when done it looks like this

You can then either graph them by clicking on the Log Browse TAB

or Play them by clicking on Flight Data TAB - Telemetry Logs - Load Log - Play
Thanks, but therein lies my problem. When I went into the CLI Logs area it returns no log files...no log numbers...nothing...just the radio buttons and nothing else. I Disable All logs, the Enabled the standard three or four from the Wiki. Now I'll have to test again to see if it starts logging the GPS tracks. If not...well...maybe I got a bum memory chip on my board. The loggins is not something I'm really worried about, but could be fun to play with if I can get it working on my board.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:28 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barok View Post
hi y'all.. the A,B,C LED. can one make an outside LED connection...cuz mine is inside the frame (TBS Disco)... difficult to see those lights.....can any1 of these pin be assign to an LED..
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. I don't have my case yet. I was thinking I might have to run some fiber optic light pipes from the APM to a spot where I can see them on the frame.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2013
27 Posts
Thanks for the advice so far guys!

My copterīs mainly flying good now, but sometimes, mainly after speed bursts and 2-3 minutes of flying I loose control of it and the power seems to loose itīs power drastically. Might this be because of too low c-value on the battery?

(Each time this has happened I have crashed pretty hard).
fotografmartin is offline Find More Posts by fotografmartin