SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
thanks guys, the problem was solved. I've tried another computer running windows 8 (this is not that much matter, I know) and it setup the firmware flawlessly .

There are some programs that arduino doesnt like to work together and that was the reason I think. Somehow the arduino ide itself does not work properly on my pc from time to time .

All in all, it's gone

Now I will focus on the 433 mhz telemetry issue. Everyone using this telemetry has the same ground module noise problem (due to integrated ftdı-usb) but I did not find any solution. There is a way to go
abuzer01 is offline Find More Posts by abuzer01
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawright View Post
I have the Arduflyer with the 433mHz telem link, and have just got the new power supply/current/voltage module.. can you set the apm to RTL on a set voltage level/current consumption?
Maybe the easiest way would be enabling low voltage speech warnings in MP, and manually entering RTL mode when it speaks up. This should work unless you fly past your control & telemetry links, in which case I could see a need for such a feature. I don't think that capability is in any official code, but it is probably possible to add it in. If you give it a shot, let us know how it goes.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:32 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuzer01 View Post
Now I will focus on the 433 mhz telemetry issue. Everyone using this telemetry has the same ground module noise problem (due to integrated ftdı-usb) but I did not find any solution. There is a way to go
Please share... an air module with an isolated FTDI breakout board maybe? I haven't got to test that one yet, but most APM owners have an FTDI in the toolbox.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
Yes, if you mean buying another 'air module' and connecting one of them as a ground station makes sense. It will work, right?

Is it possible also to swap modules I mean, we can easily use 'air station' as a ground station with ftdi, but is there a way for using ground one as a air station

Btw, how range did you get with this telemetry kit as is? (at 64kbps or anywhere you set? )
abuzer01 is offline Find More Posts by abuzer01
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:00 PM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,594 Posts
GPS, Modem and Sonar Cases

I decided to mill some protective cases for my boards. They were designed to aid in mounting too!....I have milled a case for the Ardu2.5 board also...but it is not quite right...Yet!

GPS

Modem

Sonar

RYBAT is online now Find More Posts by RYBAT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Build Logs
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined May 2012
257 Posts
Hey, so Im having trouble getting my radios set up. Looking for some help. I configured the rctimer board over USB. Now Ive plugged the radios in, the green lights go solid, saying they are connected. I updated the settings to the european standard listed in the helpful rctimer APM guide and saved to both modules. But I cant connect. A few times it started to make the connection and then timed out. Now when I go to the config screen, sometimes it will report the settings for the air module, indicating that they are still communicating something, but generally not, and the ground module keeps dropping the link and going back to flashing green followed by a momentary solid green and then back to flashing.

Any suggestions?

Using the 433 rctimer radio clones.

update: sometimes, if I turn off and turn on both sides, it gets through 2 steps of connecting, getting and got 1 set of parameters. But then times out.
achiii is online now Find More Posts by achiii
Last edited by achiii; Dec 16, 2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: update
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2012
257 Posts
Nevermind. I dont know what changed, but I made a connection and the board is communicating wirelessly over the radios.

Update of the artificial horizon seems to lag about 3 seconds. Is this normal?
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:57 PM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Nov 2001
661 Posts
check the update rate. I run my attitude at 10. Go to config tab and then planner
hobbyboy is online now Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:43 AM
Joined Oct 2011
40 Posts
G'day

I recently replaced the CiriusAIO pro and esc's in my quad with the Arduflyer and RCtimer 30 amp ESC's with the SimonK firmware. I can't believe how smooth the machine is now compared to the previous configuration, I have not had to change any of the PID settings unlike the previous board that took some tuning to get to fly OK. Unfortuanley I am having two problems:

I have had trouble getting full throttle ( I have run through the radio calibration in the GCS several times) and had to set my throttle limit to 150% and still the quad doesn't have near the power the previous setup did, I take it I'm not getting full throttle. I'm unsure if the Simonk esc need to be or can be calibrated, some people say yes some say no. I have done the calibration where you plug the board in with the throttle at 100% then unplug the board and plug it back in and move the throttle to 0% however this didn;t do anything I also tried pluging an esc directly into the receiver and trying to calibrate it that way again with no effect.

Twice now the quad has decided to suddenly do a flip to the right side and land on its head. Thankfully both times its happened its only been approximately a meter of the ground and the damage has been minor.
I'm not sure even where to start looking to rectify this problem, Im guessing its the APM2.5 and not the ESC's.

Any suggestions as to how I might fix one or both of these problems or where to start looking for a solution would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Peter64 is offline Find More Posts by Peter64
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:21 AM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
404 Posts
Arducopter code does some limiting of the max motor outputs so it still has additional power available to perform stabilization at max throttle. And I believe the stick full power to be in the ballpark of 80% of motor maximum.
The trick one guy discovered is to set your maximum throttle stick end-point to 125%, while keeping the minimum end to 100% and redo the radio calibration in Mission Planner, then reset throttle EPA to normal +/- 100% and fly.

On SimonK'd ESCs, all you need to do is regular calibration using throttle channel on your RX. Of my 6 multicopters five run reprogrammed escs, and I've modded some sets for other people, and all run smooth.
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara
Old Dec 17, 2012, 04:46 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePara View Post
Arducopter code does some limiting of the max motor outputs so it still has additional power available to perform stabilization at max throttle. And I believe the stick full power to be in the ballpark of 80% of motor maximum.
The trick one guy discovered is to set your maximum throttle stick end-point to 125%, while keeping the minimum end to 100% and redo the radio calibration in Mission Planner, then reset throttle EPA to normal +/- 100% and fly.

On SimonK'd ESCs, all you need to do is regular calibration using throttle channel on your RX. Of my 6 multicopters five run reprogrammed escs, and I've modded some sets for other people, and all run smooth.
One needs to be careful, if more than 2000 is applied to a SimonK flashed ESC it simply STOPS until you get below 2000, not good in flight.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined May 2012
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
check the update rate. I run my attitude at 10. Go to config tab and then planner
default rate setting for attitude seems to be 10. So Im getting a near 3 sec delay on the artificial horizon even at the highest update rate. Any other ways up increasing this?

Are there better choices for the default for other rates listed there?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:50 AM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
One needs to be careful, if more than 2000 is applied to a SimonK flashed ESC it simply STOPS until you get below 2000, not good in flight.
The PWM output from the mega2560 towards the ESC will not exceed 2000. You just trick the input range.
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara
Old Dec 17, 2012, 08:08 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePara View Post
The PWM output from the mega2560 towards the ESC will not exceed 2000. You just trick the input range.
I didn't just dream this up.

I can easily get the ATmega2560 to exceed 2000 if I fiddle with Travel on my DX18.

When over 2000 the SimonK flashed ESC simply stops the motor.

Others have also confirmed this. I can supply links to the posts if you like, that was running Megapirate NG, have not tried it on ArduCopter although I do suspect it will do the same.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:03 AM
g0t rabb1t?
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
When over 2000 the SimonK flashed ESC simply stops the motor.
If throttle calibration is done - they won't stop (throttle calibration is a must on multicopter anyway).
Else it sounds like bug, which version (ESC firmware)? Because i'm using lots of flashed ESC's, and once used with fixed throttle (way above 2000) - it's working.
ABLomas is offline Find More Posts by ABLomas