HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:41 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
In case anyone ends up searching this thread for answers, here is my results from my previous posts and troubleshooting:

I finally got mimimOSD to work by soldering it up to UART 0. Not sure why the telemetry port wouldn't cooperate, but that is that solution.

The escs did neet manual calibration. I used trog's method which took lnger to make a harness thing then to actually calibrate them. I just took a row of 9 or so header pins, soldered a naked wire ro the base of all of them, then jumpered it to ch3 of my rx and put all the ESCs signal wires on that header row. Powered them up and ....done. Flies with some power now!
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:42 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
Easy ways is to use another simple OSD and wire both in serial.. some people use these for that purpose

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worldwide-...item25730e7a50
Just be careful to check that can handle 4s. I think some or most can, but I have one that looks identical from HK ( over a year old though so maybe older model) that couldn't, and nearly burned right up.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:21 AM
Armenia, Yerevan
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
I install APM 2.5 to Xaircraft Hexa frame with Xaircraft ESC and motors. But I know that Xaircraft ESC not work such other ESC and when I set power the motors begin work 100%.for YS-X6 there is setting where I can change the ESC type to Xaircraft. is in APM2.5 settings where I can change the ESC type or how can I sett it?
ArturARM is offline Find More Posts by ArturARM
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:22 AM
Armenia, Yerevan
Joined Sep 2012
17 Posts
sorry for my english
ArturARM is offline Find More Posts by ArturARM
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:42 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Just be careful to check that can handle 4s. I think some or most can, but I have one that looks identical from HK ( over a year old though so maybe older model) that couldn't, and nearly burned right up.
Shouldnt have any issues with 4S....

Quote:
Item Description

RC Device Double Channel Voltage monitor OSD FPV RCD3060
Features

■ Operating voltage 4.5~16V
■ Monitor 2 way Voltage
■ 40 position data modes
■ NTSC PAL video format automatically adapt
■ Automatic parameter save
■ Can be cascaded with other OSD system

Description:

1. It can check two voltages and overlap them onto the video signal. Factory calibration, its precision reaches +/- 0.1V .
2. The background is light dark when the data is displaying in overlapping way, this can ensure customers read clearly and precisely under strong light environment or the light dark background.
3. 40 position data modes are for choice. (We can change the mode numbers and the displaying position according to the request of our customer)
4. It can automatically record the last displaying position and won’t be lost even the power is off.
5. LED light will flash when no video signal is received
6. The device can be connected in series way monitoring more voltages, and overlapping several OSD modules.

Additional Video connection port is for easy and convenient connection. VIN and VOUT can either be used interchangeably or use one of them in parallel way.

It can monitor the voltage of two packs and only need one pack while working. The overlapping characters with light color background is very easy for figuring out because the sight contrast is good enough.

Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:43 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
402 Posts
Quote:
In case anyone ends up searching this thread for answers, here is my results from my previous posts and troubleshooting:

I finally got mimimOSD to work by soldering it up to UART 0. Not sure why the telemetry port wouldn't cooperate, but that is that solution.

The escs did neet manual calibration. I used trog's method which took lnger to make a harness thing then to actually calibrate them. I just took a row of 9 or so header pins, soldered a naked wire ro the base of all of them, then jumpered it to ch3 of my rx and put all the ESCs signal wires on that header row. Powered them up and ....done. Flies with some power now!
Excellent .. good news.. I allways recommend manual ESC calibration..
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:56 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
402 Posts
My new case and power module arrived from BuildYourOwnDrone this morning, again great service from Martin.

This is the new case for the APM 2.5, two models.. one side and one top entry.. also supplied with foam insert for baro. Its very nice and fits well. There is a recess for the reset button.

The new APM 2.5 power board provide a number of functions, it essentially a Ubec on an Attopilot, so will provide current and voltage measurement and also power the APM 2.5. When installing you need to remove JP1 so that the BEC's in the ESC's don't supply the board. This gives a much cleaner supply to the board and minimises brown outs. It comes in two versions.. XT60 or Deans.. unfortunately I use 4mm Bullet Style connectors on my Turnigy Batt's..so some soldering required.

The max current it can handle is 90a so not suitable big Hex's or Octo's..

There is a new option in the hardware / battery tab in Mission Planner for it.. so plug and play.

Specifications:
Max input voltage: 18V
Max current sensing: 90A
Voltage and current measurement configured for 5V ADC
Switching regulator outputs 5.3V and 2.25A max
6-pos DF13 cable plugs directly to ArduPilot Mega 2.5's 'PM' connector
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:29 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
If the RTH works as good as position hold on the test frame I may fly the APM on one of my TBS Discovery this weekend for a comparison to the other one with a Naza & GPS.

Ken
]

I missed that part, and so didn't mention I tested RTL later in that flight (moments after the DVR card filled up), and I also accidentally tested auto land, LOL! The tlog is on my laptop so can't upload them at the moment, but you can take my word that it worked very well.

You can see my alt hold was a little wacky when I pushed it around manually, but it held decent during RTL, only changing ~3' from set point while navigating back home. I think this has to do with the relatively slower default nav speed settings... I guess it doesn't tilt aggressively enough to upset altitude while autopiloting around. After a precise return, it arrived 80' above launch (my set point), but it did overshoot the pad by ~8'. Then it entered loiter, and I tried turning my Tx back on to land myself.

Then I had a SNAFU with my tx rebinding (one of the flight mode switches not set to default). So by accident the loiter was allowed to time out, and started an auto_land. The set point immediately dropped from 80' to 3', and it very gracefully lowered itself to the launch pad, correcting for the 8' overshoot on the way down. After it settled in hover perfectly above the pad, I calmed down and figured out the Tx switch problem, got back in to stab mode, and set it down myself.

Anyhow, I think if your loiter is working as good as you say, you're good to go for testing RTL. I'm finding the loiter doesn't need much tuning if Rate and Stab PIDs are tuned well. Just be careful with your altitude set points if there are any oscillations there. ie, you don't want to set RTL alt to 10', and it might be wise to set approach alt to 8' or more in case your quad wants to dive fast (descent rate is primarily controlled by Alt Hold P I think... so don't go too high with that).

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Great to hear you found success! It does take a few minutes to make a y-harness, but after a few calibrations it easily makes up for the time spent.

Cheers,
Kev
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Jul 2010
282 Posts
I have the Arduflyer with the 433mHz telem link, and have just got the new power supply/current/voltage module.. can you set the apm to RTL on a set voltage level/current consumption?
mawright is offline Find More Posts by mawright
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
arduflyer firmware loading

Hi, can you please clarify exactly how are we supposed to load a firmware? I've tried on mission planner/firmware but errors appears. how did you manage loading firmware?
abuzer01 is offline Find More Posts by abuzer01
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:20 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined May 2012
217 Posts
what were your errors?
achiii is online now Find More Posts by achiii
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:27 AM
Joined Jul 2012
63 Posts
Sorry, my error is starting 'Check port settings or port in use...' . I connect arduflyer via usb cable on windows 7 running mission planner and thats all. As you've said I used different usb ports and once It uploaded all code(about 170mb) and start verifying it but then the same error appeared. any ideas?
abuzer01 is offline Find More Posts by abuzer01
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined May 2012
217 Posts
nope, but you could try uploading it with arduino instead of MP.
achiii is online now Find More Posts by achiii
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:48 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuzer01 View Post
Sorry, my error is starting 'Check port settings or port in use...' . I connect arduflyer via usb cable on windows 7 running mission planner and thats all. As you've said I used different usb ports and once It uploaded all code(about 170mb) and start verifying it but then the same error appeared. any ideas?
If you have telemetry or an OSD, they both need to be disconnected while using the USB. As usual, double check driver, baud, etc...

Kev