HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:47 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
403 Posts
Yeah.. plug ESC into throttle channel directly on RX and do each ESC one at a time.

http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_ESC
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:20 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
Thanks, i swear I thought SimonK's prevented the need for all that poo, but I see now later SimonK firmware re-implemented the calibration, I guess for more diversity. Thanks!
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:18 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Thanks, i swear I thought SimonK's prevented the need for all that poo, but I see now later SimonK firmware re-implemented the calibration, I guess for more diversity. Thanks!
No probs, let me know how you get one..
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Jumpy & Derek, I have noticed with all Tx's I've owned over the years (all higher end Futaba and JR stuff), variable pressure on the throttle stick can change the end points a tad; for example cut throttle and look at output, now force the stick down a bit more and usually it drops a few micro seconds. This happens courtesy of structural flex of the mechanisms inside the tx, and can cause problems with individual manual calibration. Cheaper tx's with sloppier mechanics will be even worse.

I made an 8x Y-harness for manual esc calibration. The simple tool gets the job done fast, and guarantees perfectly uniform manual calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
As far as I can see it looks like PPM with a JR transmitter will not work. Is there a solution that anybody knows about?
I read the same things about JR PPM. Have you tried it yet? After basic tuning I planned on installing my UHF rx with my jrx9303, using PPM (jumper inputs2-3, PPM to input 1). I shall report my result when I get around to that.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post

I made an 8x Y-harness for manual esc calibration. The simple tool gets the job done fast, and guarantees perfectly uniform manual calibration.
That's f'n brilliant...never even thought to try that.

I don't have a 4 esc rig yet - but I'll be sure to use that trick for my next build.
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
I read the same things about JR PPM. Have you tried it yet? After basic tuning I planned on installing my UHF rx with my jrx9303, using PPM (jumper inputs2-3, PPM to input 1). I shall report my result when I get around to that.

Cheers,
Kev[/QUOTE]

Kev.

The PPM works good other then the channel mapping is all wrong for my 9303 ( Dragon Link). I did the jumper only and it worked great. As sophisticated as the APM is I am surprised it will only work correctly with Futaba mapping or with a channel programmable transmitter.
Bob
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:00 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Ah I see... there is sort of an "It's Spektrum's fault for breaking from the standard" mentality that seems to be preventing development of PPM mapping for APM. What a shame. Even my $30 KK2 can remap, and there is no official PPM standard anyways. Even good ol' Futaba bastardizes the established standard [A/E/T/R, 22ms frame] on their 10ch+ Tx's.

So you and I get to stick with extra wiring. That's OK as there are benefits... it gives more redundancy, and 12ch works no questions asked.

Cheers,
Kev
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
Sandy Hook, VA USA
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Driver needed for Windows XP

I am having a problem trying to load the firmware from Mission Planner to the RCTimer board. I get a message " The port 'COM8' does not exist.'. I think it is the driver I have loaded. I see the board in Device Manager as Arduino Mega 2560 (COM8) and I have selected in MP COM8 with 115200 as the baud rate. I have replaced the USB cable and tried this on another PC with Windows XP on it.

The driver loaded is:
Provider http://www.Arduino.cc
Driver Date 1/1/2012
Driver Version 1.0.0.0

Can someone with XP please tell me if this is the driver that works for you or if you have a different one loaded.

Thanks,
Cliff

The problem was solved by going to Windows 8 and it loaded a driver that worked.
colsen2715 is offline Find More Posts by colsen2715
Last edited by colsen2715; Jan 06, 2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined May 2012
217 Posts
i also am having trouble getting the firmware installed. when I click upload firmware in mission planner (after MP sees the board and identifies it properly on com6), I first get a message that eeprom has changed, do I wish to continue. I click yes, the firmware is downloaded and then, just when it starts to upload the firmware to the board, I get a message that says:

Check port settings or port in use? system.io.io exception: a device attached to the system is not functioning.

and then a bunch of errors.

Weirdly Ive gotten to this point 3 times and ONCE it looked like it started to successfully send data to the board before the error popped up.

Any help of pointing in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Is this possibly a problem with the fact that Im in a VM win box in parallels on my mac? I tried uploading the code in arduino on the mac side and got a timeout error.
achiii is offline Find More Posts by achiii
Last edited by achiii; Dec 13, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined May 2012
217 Posts
Oh sweet. Found a reference in this thread to trying different USB ports. Since thats easy to do, I tried it. And it worked!, so arduplane uploaded in MP in the windows VM.

AND, plugged the CN-06 in and let it sit in a window for a while and its got a lock in the right place. Awesome.
achiii is offline Find More Posts by achiii
Last edited by achiii; Dec 13, 2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:41 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
I just did the first test flight with this board on a DJI F330 frame. I thought the MultiWii Mega boards I currently have flying have pretty good position hold, not as good as the Naza or WKM I have, but WOW the position hold on the APM blows the Mega away and rivals the DJI stuff!

Since the hardware isn't that different from the Mega boards I have to assume the big difference is the ArduCopter code vs. the Multiwii code when it comes to the GPS functions, seems to be a very different animal from the run of the mill Multiwii boards. From the short test hop I just did by street light in the front yard, I can't wait to get in a decent flight in daylight to see what this board can really do, better yet I can't wait to get it on a really good frame in the daylight and put it through a good workout.

I think I may have found the less expensive alternative to DJI controllers that I've been looking for on my FPV quads! If the RTH works as good as position hold on the test frame I may fly the APM on one of my TBS Discovery this weekend for a comparison to the other one with a Naza & GPS.

Ken
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:03 PM
Sandy Hook, VA USA
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
deleted reply
colsen2715 is offline Find More Posts by colsen2715
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:23 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
... but WOW the position hold on the APM blows the Mega away and rivals the DJI stuff!
Yes, here is a video of my first Loiter action this weekend:

Arduquad 450 - First attempts with Alt Hold (1 min 31 sec)

That was a hands off Loiter in light wind, without any NAV tuning (just sloppy first steps rate/stab tuning, and a buggered field level calibration). Several times I set the Tx down as I typed in PID changes with my laptop+telemetry. Unfortunately that day my SD card ran out so no fun FPV footage. A few flights later, I was pulling it way out of position with my hands, and watching it return with ease.

I am finding alt hold sticks very well in a hover, but sometimes oscillates 5' or so when I start/stop fast flight. Last flight I worked on alt hold I and Imax, and higher values seemed to be making the difference I was after. It's still not as good as stab mode for low/fast FPV IMHO.

Kev

PS, my last flight ended in a brownout; I pushed my 3s750 video/BEC pack one flight too far. It slowly flew itself from my backyard, over my house, and luckily before it got past my driveway, the watchdog timer kicked in, killing the motors, and sending it down an 18' free fall missing my truck by 10'. The result: 2 busted 450 arms, a bent motor shaft, 2 busted props, bent APM output pins, and a dinged APM2.5 case (near those outputs). It's all superficial; everything is repaired and working now. However, I have already lost a quad, so consider myself extremely stupid, but this time lucky.

I have looked for a way to measure voltage on a second lipo to no avail. I thought of adding a $2 lipo alarm, but since I have no sound it would have to go in front of the camera... boo. If anyone has info on rigging a second voltage sensor on APM, please share.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:20 AM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,993 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
Since the hardware isn't that different from the Mega boards I have to assume the big difference is the ArduCopter code vs. the Multiwii code when it comes to the GPS functions, seems to be a very different animal from the run of the mill Multiwii boards. \
I do like the ArduFlyer 2.5, you are correct, if performs really well, specially when combined with the EXCELLENT CN-06 V2 GPS which has a lot to do with the performance you observed.

Those other Mega boards you refer to as "Multiwii boards" can also run Megapirates NG which is in fact ported ArduCopter.

A lot of the newer Mega boards use the same ATMega 2560 MCU together with nearly the same mix of newer sensors such as Gyro/Accel MPU 6050, HMC5883L mag/compass and MS 5611 baro/pressure sensor. I doubt you would see a difference in performance when running Megapirtaes NG on them combined with CN-06 V2 GPS.

The mega boards are now thanks to Rctimer ONLY very slightly cheaper, so it is in fact a better deal to buy the ArduFlyer for reasons which are not readily apparent - for example - the Arduflyer has current limiting on all PWM inputs and outputs, has better filtering on the power supplies, has reverse polarity and over-voltage protection, has flash for logging on board, interface to baro is buffered, interface to MPU-6000 is buffered and connected using SPI [Mega boards use i2c MPU-6050], has provision for disabling on-board Magnetometer and connecting an external HMC5883L mag/compass if you find wiring to motors interfering with compass, 100% compatible with APM Mission planner.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 14, 2012 at 03:38 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:49 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Yes, here is a video of my first Loiter action this weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XyGt3zPfj4

I have looked for a way to measure voltage on a second lipo to no avail. I thought of adding a $2 lipo alarm, but since I have no sound it would have to go in front of the camera... boo. If anyone has info on rigging a second voltage sensor on APM, please share.
Easy ways is to use another simple OSD and wire both in serial.. some people use these for that purpose

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Worldwide-...item25730e7a50