Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:25 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
OT, but did you get you China MinimOSD to work? Still cant get past the "waiting for heartbeats" on mine, after exhausting all troubleshooting options that I can find. Doesnt seem likely, but wondering if it is a bad OSD...
Yep, I have three chineese clones and they all work..

If you have telemetry connected can you connected to that ok.. ?

Try removing telemetry if you have it and connecting Tx and RX pins on MinimOSD...

Sounds like a wiring problem..
Jumpy07 is online now Find More Posts by Jumpy07
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:33 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
587 Posts
Quote:
OT, but did you get you China MinimOSD to work? Still cant get past the "waiting for heartbeats" on mine, after exhausting all troubleshooting options that I can find. Doesnt seem likely, but wondering if it is a bad OSD...
Derek
I haven't tried connecting to the APM yet, only connected it to the FTDI and installed new firmware(2.0). I'm buying a Fatshark Predator 5.8Ghz system soon.

J
Ramnes is online now Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:51 PM
MULTIROTOR FREAK
India, KA, Bangalore
Joined Aug 2011
193 Posts
Can some post a picture of there RCT apm soldered with jumpers on the other is, I mean a picture showing the back side of the APM so that i can get to know what jumper to solder
hemanthtguru is offline Find More Posts by hemanthtguru
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:28 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
Yep, I have three chineese clones and they all work..

If you have telemetry connected can you connected to that ok.. ?

Try removing telemetry if you have it and connecting Tx and RX pins on MinimOSD...

Sounds like a wiring problem..
I am not using telemetry, only minumosd. Yo uwould think it is a wiring problem, but I have checked many times, and seems to be correct. I have tried reversing rx/tx too just to be sure.

However the green light does glow on the OSD, and the blue light pulses like it is receiving data or something...
Derek_S is online now Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:11 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
Quick update: I installed the minimOSD to a header on the uart 0 pins and it is working fine with ST blinking like data is coming through. I had to update the firmware to the newest one however.

Now to test if I can get video overlay and osd working..

Edit: Looks like the osd works, however the characters are all weird looking.
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Last edited by DarkHeli; Dec 11, 2012 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Update
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:45 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
DH, good to hear you got your OSD listening. You probably just need to update your character file with the config tool; I had Chinese characters and a garbled screen before flashing an updated *.mcm file. You probably already have the file; both config tool downloads (for minimOSD-extra & ArduCam2) include updated mcm files in their root folders. FWIW, I've successfully done minimOSD-extra & ArduCam2, using the same "small font" character file I found on the DIYD forums. So apparently you can switch back and forth between those 2 without having to flash the .mcm file every time.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:17 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
Yup, that got the job done! Now I get a heartbeat and timer working on screen but all the other info is not being updated. I'll try to play with it later.

Also, what is the difference between minimosd extra and arducam?
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:57 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
MinimOSD-extra was the first firmware to bring serious capabilities to minimOSD. ArduCam is the original minimOSD firmware, and it was weak until recently when the Arducam developers joined teams with MimimOSD-extra developers... which spawned Arducam2. Since then, MOE has had a much larger following and gets more frequent updates (thread has 82 pages, vs 4 pages for AC2). Development of Arducam2 is dormant in comparison; for example screen2 bug is still not fixed and has been known for some time... it's fixed on MOE though. MOE also recently added flight statistics that show up when throttle is off; odometer, max alt, max speed, max dist, etc... Neat stuff, and the values looked accurate after my testing last Sunday.

That said, MOE is probably the better choice, but there are some key differences you should be aware of if you use it with telemetry. MOE requires configuring some "SR0" and "SR3" parameters, even if you aren't using telemetry (it's in the wiki). AC2 only requires modified SR3 parameters if telemetry is also used (SR0 are left alone), and these values aren't as extreme as those specified for MOE. Since the MOE SR* parameters are larger, they may bog down telemetry (I'm no expert on telemetry, just repeating what I read). Note that there seems to be little info on setting SR3 parameters for AC2 (I had to dig it up in the DIYD forums), where as the MOE wiki has a concrete list of values for the parameters that need changing, and the DIYD thread has some explanation of how different values will affect performance.

I also observed a few minor bugs with MOE when I had my onboard radio plugged in but MP software was not connected; some stats didn't go away, and I once the OSD turned off when switching screens (had to reset to get it back on). Both events may be non-issues; I should have removed the onboard radio when not in use. OTOH, the firmware is relatively new, and the statistics feature has seen little testing. So there are probably bugs left to be found. I haven't played with older minimOSD firmwares though; the bells and whistles in MOE are worth it IMHO.
Last edited by Truglodite; Dec 11, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:07 PM
Radd Graduate '06
United States, MA, Sudbury
Joined Aug 2006
1,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
I also observed a few minor bugs with MOE when I had my onboard radio plugged in but MP software was not connected; some stats didn't go away, and I once the OSD turned off when switching screens (had to reset to get it back on). Both events may be non-issues; I should have removed the onboard radio when not in use. OTOH, the firmware is relatively new, and the statistics feature has seen little testing. So there are probably bugs left to be found.
Appreciate the overview. Gabor's the main guy on that project and he's super nice - the only thing he asks is that you post videos of your setups.

I loaded MOE prerelease last night - and I noticed the Total Trip length. Didn't realize there was a max alt/max speed setting. That really makes the 3 panel setup more useful (off, in flight, post flight).

Are you running with "enable rotation" for the panel switcher?

FYI - I also run into activation issues with arming when MP isn't connected over 3DR, but it's not a showstopper for me (yet)...I have the 3DR for config and tuning runs - but you're right over time, that will come off. You can only go so far on a 5000mah battery.
Mochaboy is offline Find More Posts by Mochaboy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:32 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
I understand he's in need of video. I have one for him on my YT account actually, but it's very limited and doesn't really "show off" what the OSD can do. So I didn't bother linking it.

Perhaps I described the stats in a confusing way. The max speed/alt are not configurable (ie, not warnings or geofencing). It's just information that comes up on the OSD as soon as you cut throttle. You don't have to configure any panels for it to work, it just pops up after you land no matter what screen you are on.

I have "mode switching" selected, and the "enable rotation" box is NOT checked. Note that if you have problems switching screens, it's usually caused by an active warning. Both MOE and AC2 will automatically switch to panel1 whenever there is a warning. It is not good enough to uncheck the warning box in panel1... you have to actually cure the warning by plugging in the flight pack, arming, etc... keep the props off!

Hehe, speaking of range I was shocked to see the odo after my first FPV flight with 3s2200... nearly 10000ft! That was in stabilize mode hauling ~30mph around a small field most of the flight. Now I wish the navigation speed wasn't so limited in AC2.8.1.

Cheers,
Kev
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, MI, Dearborn Heights
Joined Dec 2009
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
You follow arducopter wiki
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Tweaks
Aduflyer is exactly APM 2.5 so all ArduCopter instructions apply 100%
What effect does using Dual/Rates and Expo have on PID tuning?

I use dual rates and expo when I fly at home due to higher chance of crashing into something. When I occasionally get to a field I dont use them. I am now in the process of PID tuning to see how good I can get the settings. Should I tune with the dual rates and expo off or leave them on.
RaySuave is online now Find More Posts by RaySuave
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:18 AM
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
As far as I can see it looks like PPM with a JR transmitter will not work. Is there a solution that anybody knows about?
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:30 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
Question for the experts:
In what menu item can I ensure that my APM is outuputting the maximum throttle PWM to the ESCs?

I suspect that mine is not as my motors seem to not be winding up to maximum throttle despite full joystick input. I have calibrated the radio and I am seeing about 2090 on the throttle max input side. I am using RCTimer Simonk ESCs, so I believe max throttle happens at 2000 PWM and I just want to make sure I have it calibrated correctly for APM output.

I looked in the menu but just wasn’t sure which one was correct, and was really afraid to mess with too much as other than that it flies ok, with the exception of feeling underpowered with the gimbal attached.

BTW I am using sunnysky 2216 800kv with a 10x4 zinger prop on 4s Battery. AUW of the craft with gimbal is 6lbs 10 oz (3kg). Frame is F550 Hex.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
402 Posts
Quote:
Question for the experts:
In what menu item can I ensure that my APM is outuputting the maximum throttle PWM to the ESCs?

I suspect that mine is not as my motors seem to not be winding up to maximum throttle despite full joystick input. I have calibrated the radio and I am seeing about 2090 on the throttle max input side. I am using RCTimer Simonk ESCs, so I believe max throttle happens at 2000 PWM and I just want to make sure I have it calibrated correctly for APM output.

I looked in the menu but just wasn’t sure which one was correct, and was really afraid to mess with too much as other than that it flies ok, with the exception of feeling underpowered with the gimbal attached.

BTW I am using sunnysky 2216 800kv with a 10x4 zinger prop on 4s Battery. AUW of the craft with gimbal is 6lbs 10 oz (3kg). Frame is F550 Hex.
Sounds like an ESC calibration issue.. the auto calibration didn't work for me.. and had similar issues as you describe.. try manual calibration
Jumpy07 is online now Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:44 AM
Videopilot
Joined May 2009
2,720 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by manual calibration..

Of the ESC or the APM? And if you mean ESC, I wasnt aware you could calibrate a SimonK ESC, I thought the range was hard set to 1000-2000?
RCG Plus Member