HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:54 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
I FIGURED IT OUT!

I think there is a bug. Heres how i got it working:
I had to boot up the board with USB, THEN plug in the battery to boot up the ESC's. Basically, the APM confuses the ESCs during bootup somehow and they will not run. If I start with usb first and then battery it works, now how do I find a proper workaround for that?
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:13 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHeli View Post
I FIGURED IT OUT!

I think there is a bug. Heres how i got it working:
I had to boot up the board with USB, THEN plug in the battery to boot up the ESC's. Basically, the APM confuses the ESCs during bootup somehow and they will not run. If I start with usb first and then battery it works, now how do I find a proper workaround for that?
Are you using any wireless telemetry ?

I am using 3DRadio and I see exactly what you explained BUT ONLY IF I have APM Planner CONNECTED to the Ground 3DRadio BEFORE I apply Lipo power to my frame.

In other words, I have been playing around with it and unplug Lipo while APM Planner and Ground 3DRadio remain CONNECTED.

Solution for me is;

1./ If APM Planner was already running and is connected from previous use with 3DRadio - in APM Planner click on Disconnect FIRST

2./ Connect LIPO to frame.

That works for me 100%

The exact same problem occurs using HobbyKing Mega or AIOP V1 with Megapirates NG. So it is not a bug per say, just have to be careful when performing lots of connect and disconnect.

I think it has to do with Arduino boot loader sees data on a serial port coming from APM Planner which is already Connected and running before Lipo is connected to the frame and Arduino boot-loader gets confused about whether to run application or wait for AVRdude programming sequence.

Good to read you did little damage.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:57 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
I was playing with my minimOSD and noticed it won't work if I use unplug the telemetry, even with the green wire plugged in. This is with my SR3 parameters left set to 5, which is needed for the OSD to work along side the telemetry. I will try without telemetry again, with the green wire, with the SR3 parameters set to 0, and that will probably work. I was hoping I wouldn't have to change parameters every time I connect/disconnect the data radio. If anyone can enlighten me on this subject I would be grateful.

Also, I'm finding the gimbal tilt tracking to be great, but it shakes as if the gain is too high for my HS-65hb. Does anyone have info on gimbal gain parameters?

BTW, good post on the problem with Mavlink. I sometimes notice the Mavlink won't connect after I've been fiddling around with my quad. There have been a few occasions where I had to unplug/replug the GS radio from the USB to regain connection. I sure hope that doesn't happen in flight, LOL!

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:10 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
BTW, good post on the problem with Mavlink. I sometimes notice the Mavlink won't connect after I've been fiddling around with my quad. There have been a few occasions where I had to unplug/replug the GS radio from the USB to regain connection. I sure hope that doesn't happen in flight, LOL!

Kev
It can't happen in flight unless you reset the board in flight which would mean a brownout and you would have more serious problems to worry about

Problem - well actually not really a problem, more like confusion, occurs only after reset when Arduino boot-loader is deciding whether to load new code or boot the application. If at that moment it sees activity already occurring on the Serial Port then it decides it must be new program loading. Hope that makes sense.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:42 PM
Future-proof EVERYTHING
NY
Joined Jul 2008
762 Posts
Some good news finally...

First flight was completed!! It handles very well in stabilize mode. Does stabilize use baro?

Its gonna be a long journey in figuring out all the quirks. Does anyone know of a PID and gain, etc setup guide?
DarkHeli is offline Find More Posts by DarkHeli
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:54 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,313 Posts
Quote:

First flight was completed!! It handles very well in stabilize mode. Does stabilize use baro?

Its gonna be a long journey in figuring out all the quirks. Does anyone know of a PID and gain, etc setup guide?
You follow arducopter wiki
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Tweaks
Aduflyer is exactly APM 2.5 so all ArduCopter instructions apply 100%
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:52 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2010
63 Posts
Quote:

http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topic...r-tuning-guide
Goofy68 is offline Find More Posts by Goofy68
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:56 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
I was playing with my minimOSD and noticed it won't work if I use unplug the telemetry, even with the green wire plugged in. This is with my SR3 parameters left set to 5, which is needed for the OSD to work along side the telemetry. I will try without telemetry again, with the green wire, with the SR3 parameters set to 0, and that will probably work. I was hoping I wouldn't have to change parameters every time I connect/disconnect the data radio. If anyone can enlighten me on this subject I would be grateful.

Also, I'm finding the gimbal tilt tracking to be great, but it shakes as if the gain is too high for my HS-65hb. Does anyone have info on gimbal gain parameters?

Kev
The reason Mavlink wont start is that the TX from the MinimimOSD prob isnt connected.. as you can when you have 3DR radios connected.. therefore the radios start the Mavlink heartbeat... to get around this there is a fix... http://diydrones.com/xn/detail/705844:Comment:989164
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:36 AM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Having a piece of light pink foam over two flashing high brightness LEDs whose light easily reaches the barometer is a really bad idea.
Chris Anderson from DIY Drones/3D Robotics here. I'm a little confused by this comment. When properly positioned in the case, the foam doesn't cover any LEDs.
zlite is offline Find More Posts by zlite
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:03 PM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
939 Posts
Here's a picture that shows the LEDs and the foam
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:43 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Hello Chris, the pink foam does pretty much cover the LEDs near the GPS connector, unless the foam is custom cut and placed very carefully. Even then there will be a lot of light that spills in to the transparent foam and makes it's way in the sensor. For piece of mind I simply glued a small rectangle of wetsuit like material to the pink foam so it gets pushed fabric side down on the sensor. I did observe a bit less noise with the wetsuit material installed, especially during flight.

Jumpy, I understand that APM needs a rate request before it sends the data to the OSD, and that's what the Tx pin does unless you program APM with SR3 values. The problem persists even with the SR3 parameters set, I get all zeroes on the OSD until MP is actually connected, and when it is connected the OSD occasionally glitches to a distorted warning screen (as if the telemetry streams are interfering). I've tried a few different sets of sr3 parameters, including the one you for posted which is for minimOSD-extra... I'm using ArduCAM 2.0:

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blog/s...ource=activity

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...age=3#comments

Overall it's acting buggy and it seems to be related to how the data rates are setup between the telemetry and OSD. Info regarding SR3 settings when using minimOSD with telemetry is hard to search; would be great to have an official list of SR3 settings for the basic telemetry/minimOSD setup that just work, like it does with the Tx pin installed and sr3's set to 0.

Kev
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2004
93 Posts
Chris, I think the implication is that the light from the LEDs can still reach the barometer and negatively affect the barometer's reading when using just the pink foam included with the case. Not that the pink foam included with the case will block the LEDs from view.

It might be worth testing a denser, black foam of the same size (I have some that I will be trying), and compare that to the pink foam and the solution jabram has posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlite View Post
Chris Anderson from DIY Drones/3D Robotics here. I'm a little confused by this comment. When properly positioned in the case, the foam doesn't cover any LEDs.
jmkirsch is offline Find More Posts by jmkirsch
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:59 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Chris, your foam is a lot farther back. I put mine farther forward to help block air flow from the inputs, since it's exposed on top of a quad.

FYI, I played with shining a powerful light through many different felts & foams in my garage. Neoprene was the only suitable material (no pun intended) that didn't let a single pinhole of light through. The material Joe used on his baro also looks like neoprene. Neoprene is non-porous. So without a thin fabric sheathing between it an the baro, the holes may get sealed shut.

BTW, on a related note, I like the idea of pressing dense foams against the PCB. Helps with vibration as well as protects the baro.

Kev
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:42 PM
Chris Anderson
San Francisco/Bay Area
Joined Mar 2007
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkirsch View Post
Chris, I think the implication is that the light from the LEDs can still reach the barometer and negatively affect the barometer's reading when using just the pink foam included with the case. Not that the pink foam included with the case will block the LEDs from view.

It might be worth testing a denser, black foam of the same size (I have some that I will be trying), and compare that to the pink foam and the solution jabram has posted.
We sourced (and tested) the foam pretty carefully to have the right permeability characteristics. We didn't pick the color (this kind of foam just comes in pink by default), but given that if placed correctly it's not covering any LEDs, I'm still not quite sure I'm following why the color would matter. Is your thinking that even if the foam is not covering the LEDs the color pink will somehow take whatever light is bouncing around the case and transmit it through all that foam? I suppose we could test that, but we have many hours of flight testing with this enclosure and foam and saw significantly improved results compared to the bare board.

-Chris
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:01 PM
Multicopter Nut
Romania, Bucharest
Joined Dec 2011
404 Posts
My source for foam was an old hard disk drive. It's thin, black and porous, and was originaly sandwitched between the drive case and the electronics PCB.
On the APM 2.0 I just unsoldered the gps/mag/dataflash daughterboard, put two layers and reinstalled the daughterboard. On the 2.5 I cut a hollow square of double-sided foam tape, to surround the baro, and pressed the foam on top.

My trouble now is that I've upgraded the mission planner to latest version, and while the USB connection still works OK, my 3DRadio link starts swapping parameters then times out. Have tried to connect maybe 50 times, and it's always one of three parmeters when the link freezes and times out. Anyone else experiencing the issue ?
ThePara is offline Find More Posts by ThePara