HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:30 PM
Registered User
pavn's Avatar
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
591 Posts
For airplane is NEO GPS enough or LEA is better also in this case?
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User
jabram's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
For airplane is NEO GPS enough or LEA is better also in this case?
The CN-06 V2.0 is an excellent GPS, you should have no problems using it in a plane.

I have tested many GPS with many much larger patch antenna and compared LEA-6H on CRIUS Extend board to NEO-6M on CN-06 V2.0 [V2.0 not the earlier one big difference] and the CN-06 V2.0 beats the LEA easily, it is NOT just the NEO-6M, the CN-06 V2.0 seems to have a particularly excellent antenna design. I have not found anything that beats it. I have tested it on a multicopter and also in a car, a real car doing high speeds, also tested under much less than ideal reception conditions, it is just a great GPS, best I have seen.

Do not be tempted to attach any extra ground plane to CN-06 V2.0 as that degrades the performance of that antenna.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:54 AM
Registered User
pavn's Avatar
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
591 Posts
Thanks Jabram. That it is interesting. Since somebody previously recommended more expensive LEA GPS. So based on this, if you tested them, I will most probably order CN-06 V2.0 and will be happy for the price and functionality at the same time.

Is there required any special configuration for CN-06 V2.0 to work with ArduFlyer, both ordered from rctimer?

Thanks and regards,
Pavel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
The CN-06 V2.0 is an excellent GPS, you should have no problems using it in a plane.

I have tested many GPS with many much larger patch antenna and compared LEA-6H on CRIUS Extend board to NEO-6M on CN-06 V2.0 [V2.0 not the earlier one big difference] and the CN-06 V2.0 beats the LEA easily, it is NOT just the NEO-6M, the CN-06 V2.0 seems to have a particularly excellent antenna design. I have not found anything that beats it. I have tested it on a multicopter and also in a car, a real car doing high speeds, also tested under much less than ideal reception conditions, it is just a great GPS, best I have seen.

Do not be tempted to attach any extra ground plane to CN-06 V2.0 as that degrades the performance of that antenna.
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:03 AM
Registered User
pavn's Avatar
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
591 Posts
"Do not be tempted to attach any extra ground plane to CN-06 V2.0 as that degrades the performance of that antenna. "

What does that mean?
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:40 AM
Registered User
jabram's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
Thanks Jabram. That it is interesting. Since somebody previously recommended more expensive LEA GPS. So based on this, if you tested them, I will most probably order CN-06 V2.0 and will be happy for the price and functionality at the same time.

Is there required any special configuration for CN-06 V2.0 to work with ArduFlyer, both ordered from rctimer?

Thanks and regards,
Pavel
EDIT:
GPS should work as shipped
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Nov 27, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
Registered User
pavn's Avatar
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
591 Posts
Thanks very Jabram, this is quite very useful info!

Do you recommend also telemetry module to buy? Will I need it for tweaking on my airplane?

I am going to use APM on my flying wing Maxi Swift with ardu pilot and Minim OSD.

Do I need to use AttoPilot current sensor or will flytron also work with APM?
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Last edited by pavn; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:33 PM
Always learning..
Jumpy07's Avatar
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
417 Posts
Some good info there re: GPS cold start times etc.. that some seem to not know.. was a bigger issue on the V1 GPS as it had a smaller battery...

I have two APM 2.5 clones,, one with the LEA- 6 and one with the CN-06 v2.. on the bench there is little difference between the GPS performance of the two.The LEA 6 is a better chipset, but as you say its double the price...

The LEA-6 supports GLONASS which the NEO and CN does not.. and the refresh rate capability is better in the LEA-6

The CN-06 v2 uses the NEO-6M module.. max refresh rate is 5HZ (don't believe the Chineese specs of 10hz See the Datasheet: http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloa...-HW-09005).pdf)

The LEA-6 I have has max refresh rate of 5Hz..

Recommend refresh rate for Arducopter is 4Hz..


Have looked at what the 3DR text file does.. without spending a lot of time analysing.. this is what I came up with...

Reset GPS
Set standard Datum
Switches to UBLOX binary message format
Changes baud rate to 38400
Sets refresh rate at 4hz (Max is 5Hz for LEA-6, default for CN 06 is normally 1Hz, )
Turns off a lot of GPS sentences to minimise overhead to APM
Tweaks interference rejection
Changes re-aquire timeout
Sets GPS mode 3D
Turns on differential GPS, ie: EGNOS etc

If anyone else knows more would be interested ?

Full list of changes here: http://imageshack.us/a/img208/3030/3drublox.jpg


Fore more info see: http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/UBlox
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Last edited by Jumpy07; Nov 26, 2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Updated to fix error in refresh rate
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:46 PM
2Vision-Air
bakchos's Avatar
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,203 Posts
Hey guys, I currently have a Naza with gps on my hexacoptere, I want something I can play with and have a little fun on my quad.

Question :
I want to use this controller on my TBS Discovery frame (spider frame)
How is this controller on non - assymetric frame?

Thanks
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:50 PM
Registered User
pavn's Avatar
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
591 Posts
Hi Jumpy,
Thanks for your opinion about GPS.
Somebody in the review part stated that CN 06 works on 10 Hz.
See:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...3&productname=
"Comments : lenasofi | 2012-10-12 15:55
This GPS receiver is the the best of the bestīs! YES it works on 10HZ refresh rate (100ms) Great cold start, and light velocity on hot start, the EEPROM is great for permanent config although the new codeīs config them on startup ! Thank you RCTimer.
"
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:51 PM
Always learning..
Jumpy07's Avatar
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
Hey guys, I currently have a Naza with gps on my hexacoptere, I want something I can play with and have a little fun on my quad.

Question :
I want to use this controller on my TBS Discovery frame (spider frame)
How is this controller on non - assymetric frame?

Thanks
I have a spider style frame and its fine..
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
Always learning..
Jumpy07's Avatar
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
Hi Jumpy,
Thanks for your opinion about GPS.
Somebody in the review part stated that CN 06 works on 10 Hz.
See:
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...3&productname=
"Comments : lenasofi | 2012-10-12 15:55
This GPS receiver is the the best of the bestīs! YES it works on 10HZ refresh rate (100ms) Great cold start, and light velocity on hot start, the EEPROM is great for permanent config although the new codeīs config them on startup ! Thank you RCTimer.
"
I made that mistake as well while back.. you can set the refresh rate in ucentre.. but it wont change it to a setting it doesent support. nor will you get an error.... .. hence some people think it supports it.

Just look at the datasheet for the module.. it worth checking what Ublox module is on the unit to be honest...... some people confuse the product name with the Ublox module that it has... (if that makes sense).
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
Registered User
pavn's Avatar
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
591 Posts
There is stated
in the data sheet:
Maximum Navigation update rate
for
NEO-6G/Q/M/T
5Hz
and for NEO-6P/V
1Hz
.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
I made that mistake as well while back.. you can set the refresh rate in ucentre.. but it wont change it to a setting it doesent support. nor will you get an error.... .. hence some people think it supports it.

Just look at the datasheet for the module.. it worth checking what Ublox module is on the unit to be honest...... some people confuse the product name with the Ublox module that it has... (if that makes sense).
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:03 PM
Always learning..
Jumpy07's Avatar
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavn View Post
There is stated
in the data sheet:
Maximum Navigation update rate
for
NEO-6G/Q/M/T
5Hz
and for NEO-6P/V
1Hz
.
Pavn, you could be right.. the datasheet is a bit misleading.. stand corrected if it is... def not 10hz though lol
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:06 PM
Registered User
pavn's Avatar
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
591 Posts
I am deciding, that it is why every opinion is welcome and real life tests especially!
Which name do you have on your NEO 6 GPS, please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
Pavn, you could be right.. the datasheet is a bit misleading.. stand corrected if it is... def not 10hz though lol
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:10 PM
Registered User
pavn's Avatar
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
591 Posts
Did anybody test this current sensor?
http://product.madeinchina.com/F0403...14145415.shtml
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold 3DR APM 2.5 + Ublox Gps Zenonic Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 4 Oct 01, 2012 10:32 AM
Sold 3DR APM 2.5 + Ublox Gps Zenonic Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Sep 28, 2012 11:58 PM
Sold Apm 2.5 and Gps Panzlflyer FPV Equipment (FS/W) 2 Sep 26, 2012 09:30 AM
Sold APM 2.5 with Ublox Gps Panzlflyer Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 Sep 25, 2012 08:03 PM
Discussion APM 2.5 clone - MegaFlight 2.5 ralphwu Multirotor Electronics 1 Sep 24, 2012 02:18 PM