Note on RcTimer webpage:

http://rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=art...t&articleid=27
feket663 is online now Find More Posts by feket663
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:20 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,415 Posts
Received my ArduFlyer from RCTimer today, very fast shipping. I ordered the 433mHz radio kit and received 2 lots of cables for Radio and GPS both the 0.1" cable and the JST for each, no need to splice or solder any cables, also both straight and right angled headers, plus a single jumper, nice.

Worked flawlessly to upgrade firmware to Hex using APM GCS, just like the real deal.

The barometer works much better than the older white one on my CRIUS AIOP V1, yes I know the stainless steel version is a better barometer, I already have one on another 32 bit FC but the one I received on this ArduFlyer is much better, lucky ? or are RCTimer in fact using real good quality components ?
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Nov 27, 2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:43 PM
Principal Member
San Francisco, CA
Joined Jun 2002
991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePara View Post
Ftdi
where is the ftdi port on the board?

By the way, can someone briefly explain what the config file changes in the gps settings to "optimize it for quads" ?
compuatic is online now Find More Posts by compuatic
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:46 PM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
Same here. I have tried for 3 days and cannot buy anything. I contacted them and they told me they would look into it but that was a few days ago. Just tried a few minutes ago and still can not register.

Bob
hobbyboy
I tried again now, but it's still the same. There's a lot of waiting in this hobby, so i beleive we just have to wait a little longer before santa opens the write permission to new customers at rctimer.com.

J
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:23 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by compuatic View Post
where is the ftdi port on the board?

By the way, can someone briefly explain what the config file changes in the gps settings to "optimize it for quads" ?
3DR-ublox.txt sets the ublox NEO-6M on the CRIUS CN-06 V2.0 to output only the more compact UBX protocol at 4Hz update which means the ATMEGA2560 wastes less time parsing the GPS data and can spend more time doing more important tasks like PID more often, also the default Navigation settings are for "Automotive" it changes it to "Flight" for faster response.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:24 PM
Austria, O, Aschach an der Steyr
Joined Jun 2011
15 Posts
I have the same mentioned problem with my 3dr Radio Telemetry. I can load the settings, but I can not connect it with the MAV Link (green botton on the right). So what is the problem that it does not work.
You wrote an Answer, the troubleshooting Link, but I have no Idea how to solve this prblem. What must I exactly do?

Cheers Johannes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkirsch View Post
A couple questions:

When trying to get the RCTimer radio connected, I am able to go to Configuration in Mission Planner and "Load Settings" for both the Tx and Rx. However, the upper right-hand Connect button will not connect. I am powering via USB, and I can't remember if doing so disables the radio/telemetry port. Does it?
Jonny_sch is offline Find More Posts by Jonny_sch
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny_sch View Post
I have the same mentioned problem with my 3dr Radio Telemetry. I can load the settings, but I can not connect it with the MAV Link (green botton on the right). So what is the problem that it does not work.
You wrote an Answer, the troubleshooting Link, but I have no Idea how to solve this prblem. What must I exactly do?

Cheers Johannes
3DRadio will NOT work while USB is connected.

Disconnect USB and power the board as you would when installed in a frame and 3DRadio will magically start working.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:05 PM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes View Post
hobbyboy
I tried again now, but it's still the same. There's a lot of waiting in this hobby, so i beleive we just have to wait a little longer before santa opens the write permission to new customers at rctimer.com.

J
Maybe they are waiting to raise the price before they let us in..... :-)

Bob
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:39 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Received my ArduFlyer from RCTimer today, very fast shipping. I ordered the 433mHz radio kit and received 2 lots of cables for Radio and GPS both the 0.1" cable and the JST for each, no need to splice or solder any cables, also both straight and right angled headers, plus a single jumper, nice.

I used an FTDI cable and some cable adapters to hook up and program the GPS with 3DR-ublox.txt using the other supplied 4 pin 0.1" cable and u-centre software.

Worked flawlessly to upgrade firmware to Hex using APM GCS, just like the real deal.

The barometer works much better than the older white one on my CRIUS AIOP V1, yes I know the stainless steel version is a better barometer, I already have one on another 32 bit FC but the one I received on this ArduFlyer is much better, lucky ? or are RCTimer in fact using real good quality components ?
I dunno but I love mine and it is working really nice. I have a Minimum OSD on the way and I would love to get another one for one of my planes when funds permit!
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:26 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy View Post
Maybe they are waiting to raise the price before they let us in..... :-)

Bob
Bob
I managed to place an order and register for a few minutes ago, and the prices are still the same...
I ordered with express delivery($18), else it will take ages for it to get here, and i want to play with it as much as i can until december 18 as i'm having an elbow operation and will be disabled for a while. Total price for the 433Mhz ArduFlyer UAV GPS Flight Control System shipped to Norway is $173,87.

I'm also waiting for a APM 1.4 that i bought on saturday for $110 with all sensors and everything you can put on the APM 1.4. And i beleive i can use them on the APM2.5 as well.

J
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:48 AM
United States, AK, Wasilla
Joined Nov 2001
639 Posts
Great news. I just registered myself but after 6 attempts PayPal fails to connect through the website. When I can get it to work I will use express shipping thanks to your tip. I am getting the 433 package also.

Bob
hobbyboy is offline Find More Posts by hobbyboy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
3DRadio will NOT work while USB is connected.

Disconnect USB and power the board as you would when installed in a frame and 3DRadio will magically start working.
I did not connect the board via USB. I just connect the 3DRadio on the USB Port and I power the board via the Batterie. If I push the connetion button on the right side from the missionplaner. After a while came a frame with "no Heardbeat". I use the correct port but it does not work.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:44 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2004
93 Posts
What connection speed? I believe it has to be 57600.

Quote:
I did not connect the board via USB. I just connect the 3DRadio on the USB Port and I power the board via the Batterie. If I push the connetion button on the right side from the missionplaner. After a while came a frame with "no Heardbeat". I use the correct port but it does not work.
jmkirsch is offline Find More Posts by jmkirsch
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:25 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,415 Posts
Quote:
Make sure you have the correct Serial COM Port for the 3DRadio you have connected to the USB port on your PC

Use Device Manager on your PC to see which new COM Port appears when you connect the USB 3DRadio to your PC and disapears when you disconnect it, make a note of this COM Port number.

Make sure the Air 3DRadio is plugged into the ArdyFlyer 3DR Radio connector.

Apply power to ArduFlyer NOT FROM USB CABLE., you said you use a battery, I hope you don't mean you connect the battery directly to ArduFlyer, you must use a BEC between the battery and ArduFlyer board it can only take 5V to 6V maximum. If you apply a higher voltage directly you may damage it.

Assuming you use a BEC and the Arduflyer is on, and the 3DRadio connected to Arduflyer the Green LED should be flashing if the other 3DRadio is not plugged into your PC or a solid green LED if the other 3DRadio is powered up by being plugged into your PC USB socket.

If you haven't already done it, plug in the USB 3DRadio to your PC, both 3DRadio should have a solid lit green LED and maybe faintly flashing red LED.

On Mission Planner top right select the correct COM Port you found earlier with Device Manager, select speed to 57600, you use the drop down menu arrows to change COM Port and speed, the COM Port drop down list is rather slow, wait for it.

Click connect and you should see lots of data listed in black and white text on a single line and then a full connection.

If 3DRadio doesn't work or ArduFlyer 2.5 will NOT BOOT.

Click DISCONNECT in Mission Planner - THIS FIXES A LOT OF WEIRD PROBLEMS -

Then click connect again.

You can get yourself into all sorts of weird situations that just don't make sense if you connect Mission Planner and then switch off your ArduFlyer.

If mission Planner is already connected from a previous session via 3DRadio BEFORE you switch ON Arduflyer, ArduFlyer will NOT Boot, it gets confused, all you have to do is click on DISCONNECT in Mission Planner and ArduFlyer will then Boot.

If you have 3DRadio - Get into the habit of clicking Disconnect in Mission Planner BEFORE you switch off your ArduFlyer and you will avoid this trap.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Jan 30, 2013 at 03:30 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkirsch View Post
What connection speed? I believe it has to be 57600.
Today I got an other Telemetry Kit (433Mhz). I pluged it on and it worked from beginning. The first telemetrykit (915Mhz) from RCtimer did not work. I have no idea whats wrong with the first Kit.
Last edited by Jonny_sch; Nov 20, 2012 at 11:57 AM.