Joined Dec 2005
3 Posts
Thanks a lot. I missed that one.
olkolbna is offline Find More Posts by olkolbna
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:23 AM
Joined Jan 2012
395 Posts
Which radio 433 or 915

Just curious for those f us in the States which is the better frequency option for the radio, 433 or 915. Thanks rkenosha
rkenosha is offline Find More Posts by rkenosha
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:47 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkenosha View Post
Just curious for those f us in the States which is the better frequency option for the radio, 433 or 915. Thanks rkenosha

For USA 900Mhz.. MIN_FREQ=902000 MAX_FREQ=928000 NUM_CHANNELS=50

See this link for whats legal and recommended for countries..

http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/3DRadio
Jumpy07 is online now Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:42 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,125 Posts
Hey guys if i get the combo with GPS from Rctimer, do i need to buy a ftdi cable to program it or can i use the 915mhz data link to upgrade of flash the board ?

sorry if its a stupid question, but last time i played with this kind of project was 3 years ago with attopilot.
bakchos is offline Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2004
93 Posts
You can flash via USB or the 915MHz data link. The data link is essentially providing USB connectivity wirelessly.

You will, however, need to config the NEO GPS with FTDI. I'm trying to find some time to use the components provided in the combo to make the connection and perform the change. I'll post when I get to it and hopefully it can be incorporated into Jumpy07's guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post
Hey guys if i get the combo with GPS from Rctimer, do i need to buy a ftdi cable to program it or can i use the 915mhz data link to upgrade of flash the board ?

sorry if its a stupid question, but last time i played with this kind of project was 3 years ago with attopilot.
jmkirsch is offline Find More Posts by jmkirsch
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:41 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos View Post

NEO 6 V2 and LEA 6 will work without changing any settings.. but wont be optimal..

FTDI only needed to change GPS settings or upload the 3DR config file.... and handy to have anyway..(also need to change remote 3DR radio settings if you mess up the settings

The 3DR Radios are only used for Mission Planner... and the APM....telemetry etc.....firmware updates and CLI only work on USB.

Have now tested the 3DR text file config on the NEO 6 and LEA 6 . details of how to upload the file is allready in the guide for the LEA 6 and its the same for the NEO 6:
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, VA, Centreville
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
NEO 6 V2 and LEA 6 will work without changing any settings.. but wont be optimal..

FTDI only needed to change GPS settings or upload the 3DR config file.... and handy to have anyway..(also need to change remote 3DR radio settings if you mess up the settings

The 3DR Radios are only used for Mission Planner... and the APM....telemetry etc.....firmware updates and CLI only work on USB.

Have now tested the 3DR text file config on the NEO 6 and LEA 6 . details of how to upload the file is allready in the guide for the LEA 6 and its the same for the NEO 6:
Jumpy07

I used the uBlox utility (just downloaded) on my NEO 6 and saw many errors in doing the 3DR text file config. Everything appears to work but I have only bench-tested. I do not yet have a frame to use with the APM. Did you see errors in the uBlox utility doing the config (and are they of concern)?

George
gtsullivan is offline Find More Posts by gtsullivan
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:36 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,509 Posts
Yeah Jumpy said just ignore those errors when flashing the uBlox. BTW Jumpy, thanks for filling me in on the 3DR config file working with NEO6... I was just going to ask about that. I've got my FTDI, APM2 cases, attopilot, software loaded on the PC... ready to go. Now I wish I spent extra for express from RCT.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,125 Posts
thanks for the help, i use to have a FTDI cable, but i can't find it....
bakchos is offline Find More Posts by bakchos
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:23 PM
United States, OH, South Lebanon
Joined Jul 2005
160 Posts
I just received my APM2.5 with GPS and 900MHz radio yesterday, after ordering on November 2nd. Everything fired up find, though I still need to solder the pin headers.

Has anyone successfully got this unit into DFU mode? I plan on using this on a plane and I am looking to update the APM2Encoder, which is the atmega32u2 chip on-board.

The APM2Encoder wiki has a comment that these 'Chinese clones' lack the bootloader and must be flashed via the ISP header. I have been unable to find anything else in my searching on this, and don't want to add the extra pin header, just to brick the PPM decoder.

For those that don't know the purpose of updating this daughter chip, it allows setting a rudimentary failsafe system on radio systems lacking one, like my Turnigy 9X.
TimJC is online now Find More Posts by TimJC
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:19 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsullivan View Post
Jumpy07

I used the uBlox utility (just downloaded) on my NEO 6 and saw many errors in doing the 3DR text file config. Everything appears to work but I have only bench-tested. I do not yet have a frame to use with the APM. Did you see errors in the uBlox utility doing the config (and are they of concern)?

George
Just ignore the errors.. its common..
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:37 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,715 Posts
Got mine flying beautifully today with some real-time PID tuning; maybe I can post some vids tomorrow. Going to stick the gopro on it.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:16 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsullivan View Post
Jumpy07

George
The first warning is simply saying your NEO-6M is a later Firmware version, no harm in that. Then later as the script is loaded you see a few times messages rejected but then they succeed on retry, all very normal. the thing works and works very well.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_S View Post
Got mine flying beautifully today with some real-time PID tuning; maybe I can post some vids tomorrow. Going to stick the gopro on it.
Sweet, did you use telemetry to tune it? What procedure did you follow?

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite