HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:45 AM
sydney, downunder
Joined Jan 2011
1,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes View Post
I neither can justify the cost of a wookong/YS-X6, but it seems like APM have the same features for a lower price, or am i wrong?

J
APM has not breached into a broader user-base i.e. AP guys. It can offer similar or even more features than wookong/ YS-X6 but these closed projects are far more forgiving and scalable. I can move the wookong/ YS-X6 from a mid-size hexa to a small quad then to an X8 and they will all fly satisfactorily with minimum tuning.

But yeah, for the price APM 2.5 can appeal to many people including me. But I'll hold my purchase till they revised the hardware to something better.
fajar is offline Find More Posts by fajar
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:49 AM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
396 Posts
Rctimer is back online now
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:11 AM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
927 Posts
Mine flipped and crashed for some reason this afternoon.

It was my second flight. I had just flown a pack with no issues FPV. I gave my son the goggles to have a ride along while I flew LOS.

It was just over a minute into the pack. I was cruising along fairly slow about 10-15 feet, next thing it flips forward violently, does a couple of rotations and a disappeared into our little creek/drain. The leds were lit up on the way down and I remember the sound of props shredding the air, so it still had power until it hit.

When I got to the crash scene, the quad was upright, minus the battery and gps which ejected. Only damaged 2 props and cracked a motor mount. The 500 heli landing gear took most of the shock of landing a bit muddy and scratched up on one side. I noticed a hot smell, kinda like the smell of hot slotcar motors.

After the fact the battery voltage was around 4.05v per cell and it only took 260mah. Everything plugged back in and it fires up like normal. GPS lock in my hobby room. Running with no props the motors and sensors seem to be all cooperating.

Hmm. Actually one of the esc's is hot, like real hot. It has been running for the last 15 minutes with no props at half throttle.I think it is BEC.
danger_mouse is offline Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:15 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
556 Posts
Rctimer apm2.5

Hi
After reading for several days i've come to the conclusion to go for this at rctimer.com:

433Mhz ArduFlyer UAV GPS Flight Control System

J
Ramnes is offline Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
Rctimer is back online now
I get a server error when trying to register at rctimer.com.
EDIT: this is the error i get:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)

J
Last edited by Ramnes; Nov 16, 2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:27 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,508 Posts
When I ordered a couple weeks ago, the server was acting buggy during checkout. It worked after restarting my browser and adding to an empty cart.

Dangermouse, sorry to hear about your crash. You weren't powering off of a built in esc BEC were you? What kind of esc's?

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:54 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danger_mouse View Post

Hmm. Actually one of the esc's is hot, like real hot. It has been running for the last 15 minutes with no props at half throttle.I think it is BEC.
That can happen sometimes if its ESC powering the board via the onboard BEC.. did you have all the 5v lines connected from all the ESC's to the APM or just the one that was hot ?

Allways better to use a seperate UBEC I have been told.. and they are cheap...
Jumpy07 is offline Find More Posts by Jumpy07
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
556 Posts
[QUOTE=Truglodite;23286319]When I ordered a couple weeks ago, the server was acting buggy during checkout. It worked after restarting my browser and adding to an empty cart.

Kev
I've tried with IE9 and Chrome at work and the same browsers at home, and with Firefox and Chrome on Ubuntu, and it all comes out with the same server errors.

I've sent rctimer a mail with the problem so i hope they correct it soon. I think they can register me from theire side and then shopping is available to me. It might just be a write permission error to the DB.

J
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:51 PM
United States, MI, Dearborn Heights
Joined Dec 2009
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
The Crius extend board uses the cable from the S1, S2 and S3, the GPS is on the S2 port, the Xbee pins use the S3 Port.

The APM 2.5 has one telemetry port, one GPS port.. there are other I/O ports but haven't used them.

So the cable will need to connect S3 from the extend board to the Telemetry port on APM.... and S2 on the extend board to the GPS Port on the APM.

Both ports have 5V supply.. so either one will be fine. (Xbee tends to use 3.3v which is supplied by the regulator on the Crius Extend board btw).
I got the LEA-6 GPS of the CRIUS extend board working but still cannot get the Xbees to communicate with each other. Double checked that the baud rates are the same and still nothing. Will tinker some more tonight.....
RaySuave is offline Find More Posts by RaySuave
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:03 PM
Australia, QLD, Gatton
Joined Jan 2007
927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Dangermouse, sorry to hear about your crash. You weren't powering off of a built in esc BEC were you? What kind of esc's?

Kev
Hey Kev, yes I was. They are Hobbywing 12A Skywalker ESC's with built in linear BEC's.

I know it is not best practice to run them in parallel, but have been for a good 60+ flights on this airframe with a different FC. Never had any prior issues, but have I???

Actually I have noticed drift, particularly when flying FPV (both with the APM and the prior FF running MWC 32bit port). Have to correct with a touch of left aileron and rudder, worsens throughout the flight. Not so noticeable during LOS flight as I just automatically correct. It is worse with the APM as I guess the quad has to sit for extra time to get GPS lock before flight.

I'm thinking the front right ESC went into Thermal Protection mode causing the flip. I have a 3amp UBEC that I will put in today and remove all power leads from the ESC plugs.
danger_mouse is offline Find More Posts by danger_mouse
Last edited by danger_mouse; Nov 16, 2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:16 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,508 Posts
That drift may be caused by the esc's oscillator heating up (I think all Silabs use internal oscillators right?). The use of parallel linear BEC's is doable, but even if you only wired a single built in BEC you may create a high current ground loop. Switching to a separate BEC will be many times safer.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
Return To Kit Form
Australia, WA, Joondalup
Joined Oct 2010
211 Posts
Ground Station PC..?

Gents,
I have the APM 2.2 and mulitwii FC due on my door step soon.I'm interested in seeing what u cats have found to be the best option for the ground station pc?..
Laptop vs tablet.?? - Pros / cons..??
I need to find something soon, so I figured I would put the feelers out and see what option works the best, and hopefully get feedback on the type/brand used so I can avoid the mine field of choices and take months sifting thru thousands of posts and potentially still not have the right one..
Cost not a big problem, rather bang for bucks and getting the right one..

P.S.
NOT interested in apple options..
Cheers
R.T.K.F is offline Find More Posts by R.T.K.F
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, VA, Centreville
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
My RC_Timer order arrived

Hi everyone,

I have been lurking for some time. I have been flying an AR-Drone-2 for a couple of months. Made the "mirumod" to enable the use of a traditional transmitter/receiver amongst other things. Got the bug to do more. I decided to head down the ArduCopter route.

I ordered the 915Mhz ArduFlyer GPS Flight Control System this past Sunday from RC Timer. Yes I did get a bit nervous when their site was having issues. Glad to say the packaged arrived this afternoon (5 days). I did use Express Shipping.

Based on some recent posts, I thought I should let folks know the kit does (now -- or at least mine did) contain the appropriate cables for connection of the telemetry radio and the GPS to the APM 2.5 board. No cutting and splicing required - where both cables are identical. I did verify with a detailed look inside Cadsoft Eagle for the "real" 2.5 and can confirm the sockets on the RC Timer board have identical pin-ordering.

I have bench-tested the kit I got. Everything I know how to test with just the RC Timer kit and my test gear (DVM and O-Scope) on hand works as expected. I do not yet have a frame/motors/ESC setup yet. I have been looking at what others have done and am on overload with info. Taking my time so that is OK.

Happy flying,
George
gtsullivan is offline Find More Posts by gtsullivan
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:56 AM
Hungary, Szabolcs-Szatmar-Bereg, Csenger
Joined Aug 2010
150 Posts
How can I measure current with RCTimer 2.5 board? Need Attopilot sensor, or have power module, like this?

feket663 is online now Find More Posts by feket663
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:58 AM
Norway
Joined Dec 2005
3 Posts
I just got the Ardyflyer from Rctimer. The cables that followed the GPS and the radio don`t fit. I wonder if you guys could take a look at the photo and tell which colour I have to splice in order to get the GPS to work.
olkolbna is offline Find More Posts by olkolbna