Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:28 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramnes View Post
Hi guys
I have this luxury problem called "cant make up my mind" about what FC to buy for my hexacopters.
I've been looking at the YS-X6, and now the YS-X4, and they both cover what i'm interested in, normal flying, FPV and filming with a HD videocamera. The APM seems to me to be the best choice, but i'v listen to the guys over at the YS-Xx thread, and i think you know what they are recommending me.

I've tried to read about the APM and the problems with it, but cant find very much other than things allready fixed in some code version.

After reading this thread i was introduced to another APM board as well, so what do you guys think?
As a newbie to APM, how long should it take to get me going with the APM board? I've been flying planes and helis, but no acro(my wallet dont like that)

Today i have the KK2 and a Crius MW SE boards. The Crius might be a cameracontroller on the hexa with the KK2 board.

I'm kind of lost in this FC jungel right now, so please help me see the end of this tunnel.

J
Well I am relatively new to Multitotors.. and someone put me off the APM when I started saying it would be too hard to learn.. to be honest wish I had started with it first as the documentation is much better than most other FC's and its a fairly integrated platform which can be quite poweful ..I run MegaPirateNG on a Crius AIOP as well.. which was a good introduction..

That said.. if you want something that fly's out of the box well and you dont want to spend timing tuning.. then buy a Naza ..

I think with the clone board it is very good value.. the most recent version is very stable.. there are regular updates which is good.. and its an open platform..

I like tinkering and I cant justify the cost of a wookong... so suits me...might not be for everyone...
Jumpy07 is online now Find More Posts by Jumpy07
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:28 PM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,721 Posts
Depends on your end purpose I think. Seems like the AP pros like the Naza and WKM (among others), probably because they want stability and simplicity, and don't need the extra power of the APM in regards to autonomous functions. For FPV and AP, you are likely to be in direct control (or want to be at least) 100% of the time and simply need something that is smooth, stable, and safe.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
Still flying
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2009
621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
Well I am relatively new to Multitotors.. and someone put me off the APM when I started saying it would be too hard to learn.. to be honest wish I had started with it first as the documentation is much better than most other FC's and its a fairly integrated platform which can be quite poweful ..I run MegaPirateNG on a Crius AIOP as well.. which was a good introduction..

That said.. if you want something that fly's out of the box well and you dont want to spend timing tuning.. then buy a Naza ..

I think with the clone board it is very good value.. the most recent version is very stable.. there are regular updates which is good.. and its an open platform..

I like tinkering and I cant justify the cost of a wookong... so suits me...might not be for everyone...
Jumpy07
What i think i want is something inbetwen out of the box and some tinkering because there are always something to do after a flight and when not flying it's time to learn and try out new functions, so it seems to me that APM is what i need. I neither can justify the cost of a wookong/YS-X6, but it seems like APM have the same features for a lower price, or am i wrong?

J
Ramnes is online now Find More Posts by Ramnes
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:10 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
404 Posts
Here is an unbiased review of the APM 2.5

http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/...ource=activity

http://servo.texterity.com/servo/201211/?folio=56#pg56
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:56 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Is anyone else bothered by rctimers website being down so much?
One bad apple spoils the barrel; I heard DJI's patent lawyers are hot on RCTimer's tail over the S800 clone. This may be bad news for AFM2.5.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:16 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
One bad apple spoils the barrel; I heard DJI's patent lawyers are hot on RCTimer's tail over the S800 clone. This may be bad news for AFM2.5.

Kev
Well that will really suck. It will only be a matter of time they or someone else will figure a way around the legal issues. Look at HK and the orange Spektrum Rx's.

Honestly if RcTimer is done ill still buy it from DIY drones. I don't like spending the extra money but its still cheaper than a wookong.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:20 PM
Always learning..
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2012
404 Posts
Some people have managed to speak to Rctimer.. here the position thats being reported..

Quote:
Rctimer were moving to a new dedicated server as they had been having problems.. as most of you know..

Unfortunately they had issues migrating.. they are currently working on the problem and hope to have their site back up and running soon..
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:55 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy07 View Post
Some people have managed to speak to Rctimer.. here the position thats being reported..
Whome ever contacted them thanks for the info.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Since RCTimer is down I'm navigating on other sellers and I found this GPS for a nice price, this will fit the RCTimer APM 2.5?

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Last edited by geotete; Nov 15, 2012 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:27 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
It should technically work, but it looks like a V1. V2 adds an EEPROM, which is awesome, and very affordable if you get the RCTimer AFM2.5 combo.

Kev

PS... I just noticed that everyone in this thread has made the same omission (except me a couple times LOL)... it's "ArduFlyerMega", not "ArduPilotMega"... there's a big difference and we don't want to confuse anyone between the 2.
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:35 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotete View Post
Since RCTimer is down I'm navigating on other sellers and I found this GPS for a nice price, this will fit the RCTimer APM 2.5?

Geotete
That is the old model I think, you want the CRIUS CN-06 V2.0 which is much better same price under US $30, the V2.0 is excellent much better antenna and keeps the settings even if battery goes flat.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:38 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,135 Posts
That is a long time for RCTimer to be down, anyone know if this a sign of more serious problems ?
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Dec 2005
77 Posts
heard they are changing the web server.
side would come up on the soon as possible
skygizmo is offline Find More Posts by skygizmo
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:33 AM
Joined Mar 2011
310 Posts
Thanks for the answers about the GPS.

I also got the confirmation that the RCTimer had problem's with the migration to the new server, here it is the full answer:
"Dear Sir,

Sorry for any inconvenience bring to you, we are changing the server now, then it can run faster, Hope you can wait several hours to visit it, thanks for your patience.
Have a nice day.

--
Best Regards.
Jane

RC Timer Power Model Co.,Ltd"

Just have to wait few more days to make my order!

Geotete
geotete is offline Find More Posts by geotete
Last edited by geotete; Nov 16, 2012 at 02:47 AM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:28 AM
Hong Kong, Pok Fu Lam
Joined Sep 2009
551 Posts
Dedicated Server Upgraded

Site is runing now!
rctimer is offline Find More Posts by rctimer
Site Sponsor