Duarte, CA
Joined Jun 2008
218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saskya View Post
can someone answer this
mission planner does it work on a android tablet
or you really need a laptop
Although the official Mission Planner is a PC application there is some development going on with an android app that has some limited, but cool functionality. Check out this link for more info. I haven't used it myself but it looks interesting. There is a post on diydrones regarding the development as well. Hope this helps.
triple_b is offline Find More Posts by triple_b
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:34 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
@ van that is good to hear... are you running an external compass? and you don't have the poor alitutude hold issue?

Steve
On-board compass. I have good altitude hold save the initial flip into alt hold/loiter where it drops some and recovers, then stabilizes. I haven't flown it enough to see if I can smooth that out so more playing to do in that aspect. FWIW, I sold my DJI Naza in favor of the APM board.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:07 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,981 Posts
ok thanks again for the comments, I like naza when it files... but it has vibration rejection issues.... it is a very good board but not perfect.

we bought three of these boards from RC timer and one of them smokes randomly... hence our fear of poor production models.

That smoking board is the only one we have tested the compass on so hopefully the ohter boards don't have this wandering compass issue.

Looking forward to trying it.

Steve
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:09 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Flying along with puffs of smoke and still working? Sounds like an extra feature.
Integratedneck is offline Find More Posts by Integratedneck
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:53 AM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,959 Posts
Quote:
ok thanks again for the comments, I like naza when it files... but it has vibration rejection issues.... it is a very good board but not perfect.

we bought three of these boards from RC timer and one of them smokes randomly... hence our fear of poor production models.

That smoking board is the only one we have tested the compass on so hopefully the ohter boards don't have this wandering compass issue.

Looking forward to trying it.

Steve
The only way you have a randomly smoking board is if YOU did something to it to make it smoke. Or you're smoking something and blowing smoke across it.

My magnetometer is about 2.5 inches from the heavy current Lipo to ESC wiring and my compass with NO GPS connected deflects only about 3 degrees from not Armed to Armed and motors at hover power using a 4s Lipo and either 4 or 6 x 1100KV motors.

So your idea of a 4 foot separation for magnetometer is a slight exaggeration.

The compass drift caused by inaccurate GPS 3D fix only occurs if you perform an invalid test using GPS INDOORS, the GPS is meant for outdoor use, no point testing indoors, you are not testing anything..

If I switch it on indoors and there is NO GPS FIX there is no compass drift.

There is compass drift when GPS fix is first established INDOORS - BUT REMEMBER that is INDOORS and no matter how many satellites the GPS can receive the GPS accuracy is woeful - hence the compass drift.

If I take it OUTDOORS and wait a couple of minutes for the GPS to establish an ACCURATE 3D Fix and Arm it - walla no compass drift. Amazing huh ?

So this does work for those who take care of small details and take the time to read and learn about how it is intended to work.

Show us a photo of your smoking board.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Feb 13, 2013 at 03:13 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:09 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,246 Posts
I started a thread about editing the MinimOSD charset so it looks better, for those of us who don't know how to program Arduino.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1830845
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:42 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,981 Posts
@ jabram thanks for the feedback, as for me causing it smoking belive me it's poor QC on the board. The soldering on the pin headers is perfect.

I am hopefull it is just a dud board and the other two don't cause issues... I would LOVE for this to work

Steve
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,511 Posts
saabguy, do you need several videos, or is one enough? It's not a grid, but I think you'll get the idea that a grid would work fine:

SAP Automission (6 min 51 sec)

You probably had bad luck on your first board... solar flare, solder wiskers... something that hasn't happened to a lot of other folks anyways. Compass drift is one of those APM pitfalls depending on installation, and I think Jabram described it well, but to be honest there are folks who are in fact having problems with the compass jumping with throttle (ie install issues... but 4' separation is way overkill LOL). I also have my board mounted within a couple inches of high current lines, lipos, etc, and haven't had problems with compass drift. I even started using compass_learn and haven't seen issues. To be sure, APM is complicated and lots of failure points... PIDs, GPS errors, failsafe anomalies... the real world will always be there to remind us how hard it is to make a robot fly well.

iskess, MAX7456Charwizard.jar... AWESOME, just what I was looking for!!! THANKS!

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Feb 13, 2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:19 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,981 Posts
THANKS for the vids and comments guys, this is enough inspiration to proceed and see what I can achieve.

I have built and flown many mikrokopters, DJI, and a few others, I just did not want to start another project without seeing that it is a working one.

Cheers.

Steve
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Dec 2004
23 Posts
Esc connections

As a newbie to multicopters, I have a question for you gurus out there. Similar to connecting up your receiver with just the signal wire, can you connect the ESC's to the controller with just the signal wire or do you need to connect the ground wire also?
olhaynes is offline Find More Posts by olhaynes
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:41 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olhaynes View Post
As a newbie to multicopters, I have a question for you gurus out there. Similar to connecting up your receiver with just the signal wire, can you connect the ESC's to the controller with just the signal wire or do you need to connect the ground wire also?
in my build the GND connection between Lipo and Arduflyer 2.5 is via the GND connection of the dedicated 5V switching UBEC.

All ESC are already connected to Lipo GND via their thick black wires.

Only Signal wire from each ESC is connected to ArduFlyer 2.5
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:46 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,959 Posts
Quote:
@ jabram thanks for the feedback, as for me causing it smoking belive me it's poor QC on the board. The soldering on the pin headers is perfect.

I am hopefull it is just a dud board and the other two don't cause issues... I would LOVE for this to work

Steve
What part on your Arduflyer 2.5 intermittently emits smoke ?

Please post a photo that shows how you connected your ArduFlyer 2.5 and we may be able to determine why it randomly emits smoke and maybe save your other 2 boards from suffering the same fate.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:15 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
4,981 Posts
all we did is solder the pin headers on the board..... no other connections, we add 5.0v to the rail and smoke emits from what is seems to be between the traces on the board, this board does really strange things like level is not level, it won't take a calibration etc.

we keep flying with it just to see what will happen for fun more than anything but we are grounding it now. Our other two boards have zero issues so far.

My best guess is that the traces on the board have a intermittent short.

Belive me it's the strangest thing I have seen, I have soldered by hand micro processors with tiny little legs, never had an issue so I think I can solder these header of course we all can make a mistake but I measure no shorts.

I think that if you power your board for 20 mintues with 5.0v and you don't see smoke you are good to go.

Oh and we also took temperatuere measurements of the board and this board heats up drastically on the channel three input (5+ deg C warmer) than any other area on the board.

The other two boards do not heat up.

I would say as a QC check just feel the board after it's been on for a while, if it does not feel warm in any strange spots then likely it's OK.

Steve
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:41 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,511 Posts
I'm not sure how good RCT is with customer service, but it wouldn't hurt asking them to replace your defective board. At least it didn't fail in the air.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:45 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
838 Posts
Pipe Dream

Well I hesitate to post this but I have had this dream of a PVC pipe airframe. I cut this and put it together tonight. I haven't glued anything at all yet and plan to just screw and pin the arms for easy change. It weighs about 50 ounces (3.13 lbs) without battery. Using four NTM 2836 750Kv motors (HK) 30 amp SimonK ESCs. Haven't nailed myself to a final configuration yet but it's fun that it's just that flexible. Maybe I should call it a "Flexible Flyer"! Thats my Talon V-2 on top of it in second photo. It's 32 inches prop to prop with the long arms. About the same size as Talon with short arms. Kinda liking the Spider like configuration (photo 3) for FPV reasons.

Oh yea it's all schedule 40 1/2 inch PVC.

Sudsy

Correction. Talon V-2 is 550mm frame.
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Last edited by Sudsy; Dec 23, 2013 at 08:54 PM.