HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
Thanks guys.
Made another one with an outside view this time.
Ending with a fully automatic landing of course.
I rasied the Nav P-gain a bit, which helped.
It was also dead calm when I did that flight.

Still to be tuned are RTL and Circle. (Not shown is this video.)
RTL looks like it's on it's merry way back to Hong Kong, and Circle is circling alright, just not very smooth.
http://youtu.be/PZ3RQsd6tqc
I think it's safe to say now that this board can handle Megapirate NG just fine.
/J
I think the board is capable of better performance than this...as seen here the copter is overhooting the waypoint by some margin also it is not following the path designated by you in the mission planner closely....I would like to request for a video of a better tuned copter with this board .....(If I can??? Please.. )
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:45 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,418 Posts
Keep in mind that the video he posted, has waypoints that are only feet from eachother. You are zoomed in pretty far, the accuracy is very good.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:52 PM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
I think the board is capable of better performance than this..
I agree, those flights were not well tuned, and I'm sure they can be much better.
I also plan to fly with an onboard camera with vTx so I can get telemetry synced with video. I could have done it with the external if I had remembered my grabber.

Sadly it's late autumn here, and the weather is not the nicest to fly and tune PID:s in.

But Jabram should be on his way to summer now, right? Based on his stills, I think his videos will be something worth waiting for.

Anyways, as soon as I get another flight done I'll post the results here. (Unless they are horrid, of course.)

/J
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Nov 01, 2012, 03:32 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,309 Posts
From what I've seen we can expect better results with the v2.8.1 port of the code.
Sir Alex is working on it...
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:16 AM
Joined Apr 2012
535 Posts
Thx....
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:17 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
But Jabram should be on his way to summer now, right? Based on his stills, I think his videos will be something worth waiting for.
/J
True heading into summer here, HOWEVER I am currently temporarily moving and over the next 2 months I will not have access to my workshop to tinker, so I have been concentrating on having ONE toy with me that works, that happens to be the CRIUS AIOP V1.I don't like the physical layout of the CRIUS hardware, would much rather have the Mega 2.5 we discussed here, but I don't see it happening, whitespy has gone quiet about it..

Mega 2.0 is available from withespy with MPU6050 Triple Axis Gyro/Accelerometer, MS5611 Barometer, HMC5883L Magnetometer, however people are not stupid, they know Mega 2.0has a missing voltage regulator and some headers missing, has a worse prone to easily snap off u USB socket, I am not surprised people are not rushing to buy, I would not buy it.

We know what the right mix is and that is Mega 2.5 with a decent uSB socket, new sensors, 2 voltage regulators like the original HK Mega and headers for A0 to A5.BUNDLED with a decent u-blox GPS at a fair price.

So we sit and wait until someone offers such a bundle for sale, HK or whitespy or someone else we don't care.

Whitespy said he would have a sample of Mega 2.5 last Monday, no mention of it since.

We need to hear about availability of Mega 2.5 exactly as discussed.

If you want to see videos right now of Mega 2.5 flying , look at the videos of CRIUS AIOP V1 or V2 flying MP NG, because that is exactly what Mega 2.5 will deliver.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Nov 07, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
535 Posts
I was feeling a sense of buyers remorse...as I had this board on backorder from hobbyking..and then whitespy apeared with the new improved board..so I thought my board wont reach my level of expectations but..everything's good now and I hope sir alex's port helps better performance on this board......
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:25 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
I was feeling a sense of buyers remorse...as I had this board on backorder from hobbyking..and then whitespy apeared with the new improved board..so I thought my board wont reach my level of expectations but..everything's good now and I hope sir alex's port helps better performance on this board......
I suspect next lot of stock at HK will be Mega 2.5.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 02, 2012, 03:30 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hailsham
Joined Aug 2007
73 Posts
Having a real problem loading megapirateNG onto this board, when I make the changes to software as shown in the beginning of this thread it will not compile. I have been using multiwii since version 1.5 so I am totally familiar with altering software in Arduino, there is something silly that I am not getting right!!!
Can one of you megapirate aces put up a ready to load config for an X quad using standard radio gear, I have spent 2 weeks reading up and trying to get this to load and it is doing my head in. I see all you guys putting in waypoints and doing things that are way in front of multiwii and I want to be there with you.
Thanks
Dave H
zagifly is offline Find More Posts by zagifly
Old Nov 02, 2012, 07:01 PM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,237 Posts
@zagifly,

Did you copy the "libraries" folder in MPNG to your Arduino folder?
Sir Alex recommends that MPNG\libraries should replace Arduino\libraries.
Oh, and you selected correct board type in Arduino?

If you already did that, what compile errors are you getting?
A screenshot maybe?

/J
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Nov 03, 2012, 02:40 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,424 Posts
@zagifly, what /J wrote

Check these items;

1. - You are using Arduino 1.0.1

2.- Tools - Board you selected Arduino Mega 2560 or ADK

3.- as /J already wrote that you copied the libraries
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:51 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,424 Posts
How to prevent magnetomer interference from motor wiring

I have something that I wish to share with you guys, I will later incorporate it in the first post.

I was looking for a way to minimize the interference to the magnetometer from the motor wiring when motors are armed and running.

I was pleasantly surprised when I managed to minimize the deflection of the compass to 2 degrees from motors disconnected to all 6 motors running at full power, and that was using 6 1100KV motors with 8x4.5 props on a 4s Lipo.

Before I made these modification, if I was watching the compass on APM Planner while I Armed the motors and applied a bit of throttle the compass would swing as much as up to 10 degrees and it varied depending on how much throttle was applied or how motors were being controlled.

I am In the process of modifying my frame to make it easier to test various flight controllers, I wanted to mount a plate with shock isolating mountings so that I could then mount a flight controller to that shock isolating plate.

My plate is a single sided unetched fiberglass PCB about 1.5 mm thick with the copper side facing down. It happened to be handy.

The shock isolating grommets I used are Farnell part number 142-2144 GEL MEC - GVD-1010-40 - DAMPER, 10MM

Originally I also used the 142-2160 bolts that are specially designed for these however I quickly discovered they are magnetic and they do affect the magnetometer so I replaced them with a nylon screw and 2 nylon washer carefully tightened so as not to compress the grommet.

First thing I did was to pack some foam rubber on top of my motor wiring [my soldered wires power distribution] so that the wires are pushed down toward the bottom plate and as far away from the magnetometer above as possible

Bottom plate in place - my earlier, smaller food container depicted

Bottom plate removed, foam packed above motor wiring

Lid of my food container attached to top plate with double sided tape, 4 nylon stand offs go through the food contained and attach to the top plate. Hole cut in lid of food container to allow wiring and also air atmospheric pressure to enter the food container, a small hole drilled on the other half of the food container so that it does not become pressurized and give false barometer readings. This food container has a soft blue rubber seal abound the edges. Note I only connect a single Signal wire to each ESC, GND connection is via the power connection from Lipo to the dedicated FC UBEC. See Notes at bottom of this post.

My shock isolated plate [unetched PCB copper on other side], this photo depicts the original bolts which did affect the magnetometer. 4 nylon stand offs to hold the flight controller.

This is NOT the supplied GPS, I was testing a CRIUS CN-06 V2 U-blox GPS module+ Ceramic antenna with my copper PCB GPS antenna ground plane. The magnetic bolts have been replaced with nylon bolts and nylon washers.

This gives you an idea of the distance between top plate and FC board with magnetometer.

The food container I am using has handy locking tabs, it is a bit larger than required but there is plenty of room to test Flight Controllers.

All that work paid off, it took off nice, smooth and level on default PIDs no drama at all, only required a bit of I tweaking, sweet.
You can see I do not have much level grass areas here on the side of a hill.

I am not sure if the fact that I am using an unetched PCB makes any difference, the copper layer would reflect electrical interference [it is NOT grounded].

I suspect that what makes this work so well is the extra distance between the motor wiring and the magnetometer, this works really well.

NOTE:
1.- I am using a dedicated UBEC to power the FC
The UBEC output is set to 6V [jumper selectable between 5V and 6V] and is connected to (-) and (+) on the D46 header of the HK Mega board. On The HK Mega this arrangement supplies 4.8V to all the 5V headers which is well within spec, 3.3V headers are at 3.3V

2. - I am ONLY connecting the signal wire to each ESC. GND and UBEC power in ESC are NOT connected to FC. this is to minimize ground loops, using a dedicated UBEC only costs less than $5 but it may save you a lot more if the UBEC in the one ESC you decided to use fails and you crash/destroy your toy. This also means there are fewer stiff wires to transfer vibration to the FC.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Nov 09, 2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:16 AM
Disturbed, but in a good way.
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Nov 2009
143 Posts
Finally flashed my board with the Megapirate firmware. Got it straight into the air! You guys rock!
I need to mess with the PID settings some more, but it is flying in stabilize mode and position hold just fine! Found I needed to drop my roll (P) down to 2 to get the wobbles out. Tommorrow I will go out and play some more with the settings.

Does anyone know how to get MinimOSD working with this board?
RotoGoat is offline Find More Posts by RotoGoat
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotoGoat View Post
Finally flashed my board with the Megapirate firmware. Got it straight into the air! You guys rock!
I need to mess with the PID settings some more, but it is flying in stabilize mode and position hold just fine! Found I needed to drop my roll (P) down to 2 to get the wobbles out. Tommorrow I will go out and play some more with the settings.

Does anyone know how to get MinimOSD working with this board?
Congratulations, another one flying down under

Sorry I can't help you with MinimOSD
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:09 AM
Disturbed, but in a good way.
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Nov 2009
143 Posts
Thanks to you Jabram! You sir are a scholar and a gent!

Anyone got bluetooth running? I'm sick of plugging this thing in all the time!
RotoGoat is offline Find More Posts by RotoGoat
Closed Thread