HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by witespy View Post
Sorry. I did want to sell them as a pair, but the GPS unit got delayed. I changed the price, but forgot to change the other part

The MWC 2.0 uses 3.3v output from CP2102, CP2102 supports 100ma 3.3v ouput, it should be enough for all sensors, but ya, I saw this too. I think the engineers said something like they have never seen anybody use that so they left it off. after I think about it. you do lose the ability to connect a spectrum satellite, but this is more a specialty board. then a sport board, but ya, I would have like to see it too. what are you looking to connect to 3.3 that can go 5v too?

I am not super familiar with that firmware but you should be able to download the program via J2, it has DTR pin that you should never need press the reset button.

I am going to talk to them and see if they can add that on. I also have 1.0 boards coming on Wednesday too. Those have the old sensors and the exact same layout . But I do really like the MPU6050 feels.
There are I2C many sensor boards that require 3.3V

There are BlueTooth modules that require 3.3V

J2 may have DTR but it is NOT connected via a capacitor to ATmega2560 reset pin in a way that you can load Arduino code without pressing RESET button at JUST the right time, and this board is missing the crucial reset button. Absolutely ridiculous to leave off the 1c reset button..

What they left of is really weird and does not make economic sense, they should have changed the sensors and used a decent through hole micro USB connector AND published Circuit Diagram/ Schematics.

Why do we tolerate this nonsense of absolutely no documentation from Chinese board makers, it does NOT cost anything for the Schematic, it must already exist in order for the board to be made. Schematics do NOT require translation even from Chinese so that can't be the excuse for not having them.

This board also appears to now have a lot of diodes so that every ESC can be used to power the board, that thinking belongs with Noah's Arc.

If this is from the same designer, he has taken a really nice board, save 2 cents, spent $1 on unnecessary diodes and stuffed up what once was a nice design.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:59 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
...have you calibrated the magnetometer, you know rotating the board at least once around all 3 axis ?
Have you set Magnetic Declination ? actually typed in a value for Magnetic declination? or did you let it learn as it goes ?....
Hi,
Yep, mag is calibrated, Decl. is set to auto, which corresponds well to the info on magnetic-declination.com. Also set the mag to learn during flight.

But I'm thinking that the target bearing is not using measured heading, and that it is only calculated based on own position and waypoint position.....maybe....
From navigation.ino:
target_bearing = get_bearing(&current_loc, &next_WP);
home_to_copter_bearing = get_bearing(&home, &current_loc);

One idea I had was that it was factoring in XTE, but I took a walk with the copter and laptop through my mission, and everything performed as it should, except the bearing line, which was off by ~15 degrees for every new waypoint.

IŽll dig deeper in the code tonight and see what makes it tick, however, since I can't find any other reports on this, IŽm guessing it has to do with my setup.

/J
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Last edited by JNJO; Oct 24, 2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Added code lines.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:04 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
And I just ordered a Crius AIO.....
You wont regret it, just be REAL careful with the micro USB socket even if they claim it has been fixed.

I have been testing the AIOP along with the HK Mega, sure the AIOP barometer is slightly better but not a difference like night and day.

Did you order the extend board with GPS? I did, the XBee socket is useless, the extend board does make it easier to mount but it costs more than a separate UBLOX GPS.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
Yep, mag is calibrated, Decl. is set to auto, which corresponds well to the info on magnetic-declination.com. Also set the mag to learn during flight.

But I'm thinking that the target bearing is not using measured heading, and that it is only calculated based on own position and waypoint position.....maybe....

One idea I had was that it was factoring in XTE, but I took a walk with the copter and laptop through my mission, and everything performed as it should, except the bearing line, which was off by ~15 degrees for every new waypoint.

IŽll dig deeper in the code tonight and see what makes it tick, however, since I can't find any other reports on this, IŽguessing it has to do with my setup.

/J
The mag has to be calibrated and declination correct else GPS related nav will not work, that is well documented by now.

Other possible cause, wiring carrying heavy currents to ESC just under board affecting mag, hold down the copter, arm it apply throttle, how much does the compass heading change ? it will change, but by how much.

Whichever board I finish up with, currently building/testing on OpenPilot CC3D DIY STM32FF4Discovery, AeroQuad32, AIOP V1. I am planning to use a separate Mag board [eBay Item number: 221051144950] mount it higher up away from the wiring, of course the mag on the FC board will have to be disabled. Like DJI Naza they have the Mag and GPS up on a stick above all the wiring.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Hmm... another interesting problem.
In the mission planner, on the satellite view, there is an orange line that shows bearing to next waypoint.
I have the damndest error on that one;...
It's working for me now.
I set AP_Math/location.cpp to ignore this test:
if (abs(last_lat - loc->lat) < 100000),
and make it use:
scale = cos((fabs((float)loc->lat)/1.0e7) * 0.0174532925);

Could be because I'm close to the border between lat 59 and 60, that I'm seeing this fault, but using a more accurate scale fixed it for me.
Off to fly and/or crash again.

/J
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, Hailsham
Joined Aug 2007
73 Posts
I have copied all of the changes to the software in arduino but it will not compile, currently flying a tricopter with multiwii which is not working well. been using multiwii for a couple of years and now want to try mega pirate.

Dave H
zagifly is offline Find More Posts by zagifly
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagifly View Post
I have copied all of the changes to the software in arduino but it will not compile, currently flying a tricopter with multiwii which is not working well. been using multiwii for a couple of years and now want to try mega pirate.

Dave H
Hi Dave, go back to the MP NG instructions, you must have missed something, did you copy the libraries to the correct location, you must have skipped something.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
The MWC 2.0 uses 3.3v output from CP2102, CP2102 supports 100ma 3.3v ouput, it should be enough for all sensors. I think the engineers said something like they have never seen anybody use that so they left it off.
........ But I do really like the MPU6050 feels.
Correct me if I am wrong but based on your single blurry photo the USB socket has NOT been made stronger, i.e you have NOT used thru hole version that does not rely on being held by traces on only one side of the board.

3.3V is now supplied by CP2102 so you saved 10 cents BUT if the USB is ripped off and traces around CP2102 are damaged THERE IS NO WAY TO POWER THE BOARD FROM 5V.

I suggest your "Engineer go back to the original design;

1. - Change the sensors

2. - Connect GND to the second J2 pin currently NC, so that it matches FTDI 6 pin connection. Not Connecting it is a mistake.

3. - Replace the USB socket with a through hole version with 4 pins soldered on both sides of the board.

Like this through whole USB socket used on STM32F4Discovery board

4. - Offer a UBLOX LEA6 GPS and ceramic antenna bundle at a fair price and you will sell lots.

Your current new design is a huge step backwards, may as well use CRIUS AIOP V2, no advantage in price and you created a LOT of new problems.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Oct 24, 2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:22 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
So I am thinking of putting this board on a FPV Hex. I am curious if there is anything in the MPNG code that will detect a motor failure, and trigger return to home, or possibly an alarm to warn me that something has gone wrong?
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:56 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
@subaru4wd,

As far as I am aware no one has anything that detects motor failure, almost all FC MPNG included do have detection for RC Radio failure.

It is 2012 and we are moving toward 32 bit MCU, yet we keep archaic PWM esc and worse PWM input from Radio, even the newer 32 bit ESc simply duplicate the antiquated PWM control of ESC which is one way only from FC to ESC, no status coming back to the FC. Of course this is the penalty for making things compatible.

It is about time, we made some tough decisions and designed some decent ESC and developed a new standard for RC Radio output to use one serial stream from the receiver like Spektrum satellite and also Spektrum AR9020 SRXL and Futaba SBUS although Futaba just had to be different and annoy everyone by inverting the logic.

Yes it is time, way overdue to set some new standards.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:31 AM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but based on your single blurry photo the USB socket has NOT been made stronger, i.e you have NOT used thru hole version that does not rely on being held by traces on only one side of the board.

3.3V is now supplied by CP2102 so you saved 10 cents BUT if the USB is ripped off and traces around CP2102 are damaged THERE IS NO WAY TO POWER THE BOARD FROM 5V.

I suggest your "Engineer go back to the original design;

1. - Change the sensors

2. - Connect GND to the second J2 pin currently NC, so that it matches FTDI 6 pin connection. Not Connecting it is a mistake.

3. - Replace the USB socket with a through hole version with 4 pins soldered on both sides of the board.

Like this through whole USB socket used on STM32F4Discovery board

4. - Offer a UBLOX LEA6 GPS and ceramic antenna bundle at a fair price and you will sell lots.

Your current new design is a huge step backwards, may as well use CRIUS AIOP V2, no advantage in price and you created a LOT of new problems.
I forwarded your suggestions to them, they seem to agree, I have to get on my hands and knees to make this stuff happened. They said they're going to it.
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:59 AM
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
@witespy,

Just my 5 cents;
While they are re-designing, maybe they could consider connecting analog I/O pins A0 - A5? (AT2560 pins 97-92.) to a header.
They can be used in both MPNG and MultiWii for various functions, such as battery monitoring, buzzer and copterLED:s

/J
Last edited by JNJO; Oct 25, 2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:19 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
@witespy,

Just my 5 cents;
While they are re-designing, maybe they could consider connecting analog I/O pins A0 - A5? (AT2560 pins 97-92.) to a header.
They can used in both MPNG and MultiWii for various functions, such as battery monitoring, buzzer and copterLED:s

/J
YES!! that should easily fit on that board and cost is $0 to place holes for a header on the PCB.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:41 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
I forwarded your suggestions to them, they seem to agree, I have to get on my hands and knees to make this stuff happened. They said they're going to it.
Excellent
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:38 PM
Clearwater, FLorida !
Joined Sep 2009
2,273 Posts
Quote:
@witespy,

Just my 5 cents;
They can be used in both MPNG and MultiWii for various functions, such as battery monitoring, buzzer and copterLED:s

/J
Done, They will put it on board, A0-A5, like this:
VIN +5V 3.3V GND A0 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5
10pin in one row.
witespy is offline Find More Posts by witespy
Closed Thread