to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
Thanks odccopter and fernman.

It is a MTK-3329 ?

What is the default baudrate and update rate as shipped?

It does look identical except for the sticker
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:09 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Thanks odccopter and fernman.

It is a MTK-3329 ?

What is the default baudrate and update rate as shipped?

It does look identical except for the sticker
I assume it is, dunno the defaults, I just ran it through Multiwii_dev_r1240 and it works fine. Also, the packaging says it is an MTK.
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:36 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcopter View Post
I assume it is, dunno the defaults, I just ran it through Multiwii_dev_r1240 and it works fine. Also, the packaging says it is an MTK.
Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:25 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJones View Post
I did within Mission Planner as well calibrate my TX (Futaba FF10). All channels seem to work fine and in the correct direction.

What I fail to do is however to get the quadcopter up and running. When I connect my battery to my quad the status LED flashes, and a few other LED's on the board.
Moving the throttle stick to full down left/right did not do any good
Moving Throttle to the lower right corner did the trick on my old cheap HK FlightController.

Anyone got an idea how to actually arm this Flightcontroller ? Documentation on the HK website did not get me any further.

Any help/hint would be greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Timo
Hi Jim,

Arming is hold Throttle down and over to the right for about 5 seconds the first time you do that there is a about a 4 second delay before the motors will spin. Next arming without disconnecting Lipo motors spin straight after they are armed.

If that doesn't work, it is most likely [make that ALWAYS] to do with calibrating each ESC.

I know it is tempting to do the easy easy ESC calibration doing them all at once BUT that is not a really good idea [never works for me] as you can end up with some that are not calibrated correctly.

If you have calibrated your ESCs before DO THEM AGAIN one at a time. Specially if you already had the ESC working and calibrated with Multiwii as they will be incorrectly calibrated for MP NG. Multiwii can send out a much lower PWM than MP NG does for arming the ESCs. End result is your ESC is waiting for that lower PWM before arming and it will not get it from MP NG, calibrating the ESCs as per my notes below will calibrate your ESCs for use with MP NG and they will then arm correctly.

Zero all trim and sub-trim on your transmitter set end points or as some radios call it "travel" to +100 and -100 or use the Radio calibration in Mission Planner and tweak your transmitter end points/travel so that you see PWM values in Radio Calibration between 1000 and just a tad short of 2000, like 1996 or so, the reason for staying just under 200 is that SimonK flashed ESC sometimes cut out if you apply more than 2000 and you don't want that to happen..

Then use the receiver Throttle PWM output connected directly to each ESC signal line one at a time and calibrate each ESC one at a time.

Make sure you have done Radio Calibration in Mission planner.

And please DO REMOVE PROPELLERS BEFORE DOING ESC CALIBRATION, we want to see around for a lot longer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:33 AM
Joined Jun 2006
7 Posts
Thanks Jabram,

I indeed did not recalibrate the ESC's by now. Did it once for the other HK board.
I will try to figure out how to do it. This has nothing to do with the HK programming card that I own, has it ?

I am using Turnigy Plush 10A ESC's, not sure if they are with Simon K firmware, did built them in out of the box.

For the time being all the Platform does when attaching the battery is a ticking sound like three times a second with all four props just moving a little bit, rather a vibration than a real movement.

Regarding my fingers, if you would see the size of my quad you would not be to worried
JimJones is offline Find More Posts by JimJones
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:02 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jabram,

I indeed did not recalibrate the ESC's by now. Did it once for the other HK board.
I will try to figure out how to do it. This has nothing to do with the HK programming card that I own, has it ?

I am using Turnigy Plush 10A ESC's, not sure if they are with Simon K firmware, did built them in out of the box.

For the time being all the Platform does when attaching the battery is a ticking sound like three times a second with all four props just moving a little bit, rather a vibration than a real movement.

Regarding my fingers, if you would see the size of my quad you would not be to worried
Ok, we are on the right track, it is your ESC calibration that is holding you back.

Go back to the first post in this thread and find the section detailing how to calibrate your ESC, unless you yourself flashed your ESC then they are NOT SimonK flashed. Don't worry about Simonk for now, get this thing to work first.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Jun 2006
7 Posts
Ok, calibrating the ESC's was quite easy.

The platform flies now. Hmm more or less. It wobbles very fast around the roll axis, nearly uncontrollable. I will have to stick my nose a little bit deeper into Mission Planner to find the value which I have to change to stop the quad from wobbling like crazy.

First I thought the reason could be that I never balanced the props, they are balanced now but did not change anything. Quad behaves exactly the same.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Jun 2006
7 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a way to use MP on a mac ?
Got a windows machine as well but would prefer to run it on my laptop (mac), makes me more mobile for actual testings.

My wife is not to amused with me doing all the flight testings in our home office

For whatever reason (that I absolutely don't get) she is not as passionate about my little quad as I am :P
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:58 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,210 Posts
Quote:
....into Mission Planner to find the value which I have to change to stop the quad from wobbling like crazy....
Rate Roll P and Rate Pitch P is what you are looking for.
A good place to start with tuning is the ArduCopterWiki

Quote:
...Does anyone know if there is a way to use MP on a mac ? ...
Yep, sell the mac and buy a PC.
No, seriously, I don't know, but on that wiki page there is a statement a few paragraphs down, indicating Linux and Mac support.

Good that hear that you got the arming and esc-calibration sorted.

/J
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,699 Posts
Quote:
Here is what mine looks like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
Quote:
My GPS module, order few weeks back from HK, is looking the same.

I did stick to a serial port, and I see ... that it start at 9600bps, but it quickly change back to 115kbps.

It is printing pure NMEA ... so who care if it is MTK or U-block, or whatever ... just a vanilla NMEA 115k configuration and it will work fine with every board or every "vanilla" firmware.

I did not count what is the frequency of the NMEA update, maybe for sure over 5Hz, but I did not check to count if they are 10 ...

My GPS did not lock on any satellite after 1 or 2 minutes from my indoor test ... so I can't say if it is better or worst then other GPS that I own.

One question ... why there is a "paper" adhesive sticker on the antenna ??? It make no sense ... I did remove it on my GPS ... anybody has idea ? Maybe it is for avoid eventual contact with some metal part in the quad

Tchuss

e_lm_70

ps: Maybe this weekend I have time for maiden on my quad this board ... but most probably all will be moved to my Xmass and New Year vacations ... I hope to make a nice waypoint following fly on the snow landscape here
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:16 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to use MP on a mac ?
Got a windows machine as well but would prefer to run it on my laptop (mac), makes me more mobile for actual testings.

My wife is not to amused with me doing all the flight testings in our home office

For whatever reason (that I absolutely don't get) she is not as passionate about my little quad as I am :P
I have no idea why your wife would not be enthusiastic about the little flying lawn mower, very strange

It will be a miracle if the default PIDs are correct for your frame and motors. SO you will have to perform PID tuning.

Easiest way to tune PID is Using CH6 mapped to a dial on your RC Tx

First - go to this page http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Tweaks
Scroll down to Method 2: Flying Attitude Tuning with CH6: learn how to use a dial on CH6 for tuning.

Then - have a look at this excellent tutorial in which the Author forgets to mention that he is using Method 2: Flying Attitude Tuning with CH6:
http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/ar...r-tuning-guide

Seriously, you should wear long welding gloves when tuning this way as it is very easy for the blades to cut your arm while you hold the frame, Eye Protection is also recommended.

PS, what is a Mac, is that like a burger
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 11, 2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:18 AM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
My understanding is there is no way to capture and calibrate my mag from a log with this board.

Also, I don't have telemetry or a USB cable long enough to do the dance.

So, I calibrated my mag by setting the parameter "COMPASS_LEARN" to 1, then flew around a while, then set it back to 0. This seems to work.

Could someone could verify that this is a good approach?
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Jun 2006
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
Rate Roll P and Rate Pitch P is what you are looking for.
Thought so as well, so far under PID setup I only found parameters for yaw etc, but no roll and pitch. Will have a look at the wiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
Yep, sell the mac and buy a PC.
No way, I'll stick with crApple !
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:43 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
@e_lm_70

The paper sticker is to protect the thin deposited top layer of the GPS patch antenna during shipping.

Test GPS outdoors with a clear view of the sky all around.
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread