Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by view27 View Post
Hi Joe,
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.
I checked again exactly the same way as you did with my Plane radio which is a JR X2720 fitted with a 2.4ghz Frsky hack module and V8FR2 Receiver, with exactly the same results. This was on a Channel that has never been used. The only Throttle Mixing I use is for the Helicopters and Powered Gliders. I also checked the photos on the first post with my Android Tablet and zoomed the area in. I checked the circuit board with a magnifying glass and to me, the tracks both top and bottom appear to be identical so I really don't know what is going on. That is why I asked the question as to which diagram to follow. HK's, Yours or Mission Planner.
I am sorry if I have caused you a bit of a headache but this board and principle is all very new to me so I don't think it is anything I have done in the programming.

Regards
Bruce
Bruce,

No need to be sorry, I really don't mind, if there is a problem it is best solved ASAP.

The question I want to ask you

If you disconnect all receiver channels from HK Mega board J11 header pins

You ONLY connect 1 channel to A8 on J11 header of HK Mega

In Mission Planner Radio Calibration which channel shows any movement ?

I am not being funny, a lot can be misinterpreted in words, and I want to rule out all other variables.

Joe
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:03 AM
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Oct 2009
27 Posts
Joe,
Just thought I would let you know that both my Receivers use:-

1 = Throttle
2 = Aileron
3 = Elevator
4 = Rudder
5 = Gear
6 = Aux1
7 = Aux2
8 = Aux3

I understand some Receivers are different. I had Hitecs when I first started and they are totally different to the JR's.

Bruce
view27 is offline Find More Posts by view27
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:06 AM
Joined Oct 2009
27 Posts
A8 J11 shows Throttle only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Bruce,

No need to be sorry, I really don't mind, if there is a problem it is best solved ASAP.

The question I want to ask you

If you disconnect all receiver channels from HK Mega board J11 header pins

You ONLY connect 1 channel to A8 on J11 header of HK Mega

In Mission Planner Radio Calibration which channel shows any movement ?

I am not being funny, a lot can be misinterpreted in words, and I want to rule out all other variables.

Joe
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:34 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,305 Posts
Quote:
A8 J11 shows Throttle only.
Words are sometimes not enough.

Imagine your receiver is a PWM simulator, so we do not care what its ONE signal output is called.

We apply that NO NAME PWM signal to A8 - all other cables removed from J11 -

We observe movement on one channel in Mission Planner Radio Calibrate.

Under those exact circumstances do you see the Throttle channel bar moving in Mission Planner ?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 07, 2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Oct 2009
27 Posts
Joe,
Yes I am running the same version..All seems weird to me also..After checking the traces on the new board and comparing them to your photos, it appears that it is still the same board..
I suppose as long as you take notice of Mission Planner in what it reports, things will work out. It would still be nice to know why this is happening.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
That is weird. you are running MPNG 2.7 R4 ?

Based on the photos the board hasn't changed yet you get different results, anyway so long as one checks in Radio Calibration all is good.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:54 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,305 Posts
Quote:
Joe,
Yes I am running the same version..All seems weird to me also..After checking the traces on the new board and comparing them to your photos, it appears that it is still the same board..
I suppose as long as you take notice of Mission Planner in what it reports, things will work out. It would still be nice to know why this is happening.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce, weird no doubt about it, so long as it is verified in Radio Calibrate all is good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:17 AM
Joined Oct 2009
27 Posts
Joe,
Just a final question. How do you think this HK Mega Board or the Crius board would go handling a large machine. Say a Hex 1500 mm across with an all up weight of around 7 - 8 Kg? I know that the board wouldn't care less as to what sort of motors are attached to it. What I am more worried about is a large machine going to test it's capabilities of keeping it stable but still responsive?

Bruce
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:11 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,305 Posts
Quote:
Joe,
Just a final question. How do you think this HK Mega Board or the Crius board would go handling a large machine. Say a Hex 1500 mm across with an all up weight of around 7 - 8 Kg? I know that the board wouldn't care less as to what sort of motors are attached to it. What I am more worried about is a large machine going to test it's capabilities of keeping it stable but still responsive?

Bruce
Bruce,

Apart from the older barometer on HK Mega they are all fairly equal, including the the Crius ArduFlyer which is an APM 2.5 clone.

The reason I got involved was to build a frame that I could use for Aerial Video in outback Australia, I started on that project about 5 months ago, now I have a large collection of 32 bit and 8 bit controllers and a thinner wallet, IMHO none of the current 32 bit controllers are good enough YET, they are all work in progress, quickly ported to a faster 32 bit processor that is wasted because of unfinished firmware, AeroQuad 32 is a good example, it can barely do what a HK KK v2 can do!!.

I have avoided Naza and Zero because I do wish to be at the mercy of greedy people flogging a fairly ordinary CLOSED SOURCE product marketed as the best thing since sliced bread, reading the user's threads posts from those that are not easily led by marketing quickly becomes apparent they are far from perfect.

There is also AutoQuad 6, great idea, woeful CLOSED hardware design and not really fully open firmware, again the greed factor mixed with a touch of deceit. I do have a burnt out AQ6, $700 worth of junk and 2 months wasted. Great learning experience. Eventually I was openly refused any support because of my "attitude". Obviously I am no good at all at grovelling or being "diplomatic" about junk and I have an extremely low [below zero actually] tolerance to pure BS.

Currently my best choice is the Rctimer ArduFlyer or APM 2.5 and my reasons are that the firmware has the most features and more continuing development than is heading in direction I am interested in than all the others, APM 2.5 not that different to HK Mega with MP NG except when there is an update I don't have to wait for someone to port it over to MP NG.

There is little difference in price between HK Mega and ArduFlyer and they appear to be almost the same hardware, closer inspection reveals you get a LOT more for that meager increase in price of the ArduFlyer over the HK Mega, things that mean nothing to most people, a bit like insurance seems not important until you find out you really should have opted for it.

Things ArduFlyer or APM 2.5 has that neither HK Mega nor AIOP have, fully OPEN HARDWARE AND FIRMWARE, excellent documentation, full accurate Schematics, revere polarity protection, over voltage protection, current limit protection on all PWM inputs and outputs, nearly all ports on ATMEGA2560 are available on headers, well designed power distribution with well filtered regulated power supplies, buffered interface to sensors, on board magnetometer can be disabled and an external magnetometer can be attached away from all the heavy wiring that affects the compass and position hold, logging to flash memory,

I have a quad and 2 hex frames, largest one is an 800 mm Hex X.

I could use any of the ATMEGA2560 based controller on my Hex and it would not be an issue. Currently I am using the ArduFlyer, keeping an eye on 32 bit flight controllers but I do not see anything exciting happening any time soon.

Attention to ALL SMALL detail during construction, balancing motors and props. wiring arrangement and more importantly TUNING is what will make a real difference IMHO.

Aren't you sorry you asked that question
Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Apr 2012
532 Posts
Joe Is One Great Teacher...
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:09 AM
Quiet Achiever
Joined Feb 2008
1,570 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
Joe Is One Great Teacher...

Perzactally.....and he's not an arrogant POS...Just a good guy
RYBAT is offline Find More Posts by RYBAT
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Build Logs
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:57 AM
Joined Feb 2007
5 Posts
Hi guys, just wonder is it possible to configure at least PID controller over bluetooth like for MultiWii over here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428641
Maybe need some tweaks to make it work?
my_vision is offline Find More Posts by my_vision
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:00 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,175 Posts
Ok i checked again.

so i connect just the throttle from my receiver (CH3) to the J11 receiver connections on the board. It this point its JUST usb and throttle from receiver.

As I moved the throttle on my remote, I checked the Radio Calibration screen on Mission Planner.
The is what i get:

A8 Throttle
A9 Roll
A10 Pitch
A11 Yaw
A12 Radio 5
A13 Radio 6
A14 Radio 7
A15 Radio 8

Running MegaPirateNG_2.7_R4 and Mission Planner 1.2.25
TheFernMan is offline Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:14 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,305 Posts
Quote:
Joe,

Bruce
Bruce and others who helped me through my moment of insanity.,

Mystery solved, my fault, I had a setting which changes the mapping and had forgotten about it

A8 = Throttle
A9 = Aileron/Roll
A10 = Elevator/Pitch
A11 = Rudder/Yaw
A12 = Ch5/Radio 5
A13 = Ch6/Radio 6
A14 = Ch7/Radio 7
A15 = Ch8/Radio 8

Is correct

Thanks for you help/sanity check.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:21 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by my_vision View Post
Hi guys, just wonder is it possible to configure at least PID controller over bluetooth like for MultiWii over here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1428641
Yes and no.
You can use a BT module to communicate wireless with the mission planner and do everything, except flash the firmware.
The thread you linked to is for an android app. and there is no working app for mavlink 1.0 as far as I know.
The closest to that is an app called Copter GCS, but it looks like we'll have to wait for mavlink 1.0 support.
Project home for CopterGCS -> http://code.google.com/p/copter-gcs/

/J

Edit: Somebody claims to have a working clone of CopterGCS -> https://code.google.com/r/xcl0100-copter-gcs/
I'll try it this weekend and report back.
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Last edited by JNJO; Dec 07, 2012 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Maybe not so dead....
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:40 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
860 Posts
Mag Var Calculator

Here's a handy link.

http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomagmodel...alcDeclination

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Closed Thread