Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:54 PM
Attention to the small details
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
Hello all;

I will be the first to admitt that I am a hardware guy. Some of the terminology used here (Arduino, Averdude, Lazyzero, etc.) confuse me. I have so far downloaded Arduino 1.0.2.

1. Can someone compile a list of the programs I will need to properly configure this board. I don't need links and can do the searches to find the stuff I need but I am just not sure what that is. Maybe just a brief description of what each program does.

2. Will this board do anything right out of the box? Are these "flashes"and program uploads just revisions to the original firmware and software? (I think this is just new/better performing firmware)

3. I am thinking that the Mission Planner programming is held in the eeprom, is that correct? So I have to erase and reload the eeprom for each different flight profile I want to fly.

4. How does this board act when just flying the quad?

5. I see nice graphics of maps and overlays in the Mission Planner. Where do these come from?

I have not done a thing with this board yet. It is the Hobby King board and I just got it last week. I have four quads and want to build another with this board. I have a frame and will order some motors and speed controls after Christmas.

Bottom line I have fried 2 KK2 boards trying to "flash" them and don't want to do the same thing here. I'm getting old and may not have time to order many more boards from HK.

Sudsy
1,/ I will eventually post a step by step on how to set up Arduino and copy all the required library files etc.

2./ the board out of the box runs MWii set up for a QUAD+, the reason for having to load new code into FLASH is because this thread is about running MP NG which is completely different code from MWii that comes out of the box, so it has to be loaded using using Arduino to load the code into FLASH inside the ATMEGA2560.

3./ any changes you make in Mission Planner are held in EEPROM inside the ATMEGA2560 - NO YOU DO NOT ERASE THE EEPROM every time you make a change and SAVE IT. You ONLY erase the EEPROM once or unless you have become so lost nothing works any more.

4./ I do not understand the question.

5,/ the graphics are in mission planner, the artificial horizon is affected by the sensors on the board, live display. The satellite uses your GPS to display a map of your location, the map images come from Google earth or other places on the net, so you must have internet connection in order to see them.

Flashing a KK board using SPI is very different to using Arduino with USB,

I seriously doubt your KK boards are dead, SPI connector is arranged in such a way that connecting it backwards will do no harm, most likely you programmed the KK into an unknown state and it APPEARS to be dead, program it correctly and it will magical come back to life.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 05, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:59 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
1,/ I will eventually post a step by step on how to set up Arduino and copy all the required library files etc.

2./ the board out of the box runs MWii set up for a QUAD+, the reason for having to load new code into FLASH is because this thread is about running MP NG which is completely different code from MWii that comes out of the box, so it has to be loaded using using Arduino to load the code into FLASH inside the ATMEGA2560.

3./ any changes you make in Mission Planner are held in EEPROM inside the ATMEGA2560 - NO YOU DO NOT ERASE THE EEPROM every time you make a change and SAVE IT. You ONLY erase the EEPROM once or unless you have become so lost nothing works any more.

4./ I do not understand the question.

5,/ the graphics are in mission planner, the artificial horizon is affected by the sensors on the board, live display. The satellite uses your GPS to display a map of your location, the map images come from Google earth or other places on the net, so you must have internet connection in order to see them.

Flashing a KK board using SPI is very different to using Arduino with USB,

I seriously doubt your KK boards are dead, SPI connector is arranged in such a way that connecting it backwards will do no harm, most likely you programmed the KK into an unknown state and it APPEARS to be dead, program it correctly and it will magical come back to life.
Thanks for the reply. I have been enlightened.

Question 4. What I am asking is how well does this board react to flight inputs for just maneuvering. Not flying a "profile" but just flying the quad like all my other dumb ones?

I will try to re-flash the KK2 I have here but I was not concerned about nor did I connect it backwards. What exactly happened was I hooked up my PC with the USB connection and the board came to life AS WELL AS THE RECEIVER. Then the receiver light kind of faded out. The display went blank and every attempt to "flash" it again have so far been unsuccessful. I have since found and removed several versions of the LazyZero software and received a new USBasp adapter. I'll take another crack at it later.

I have a new netbook that I will configure for my "field PC" and I will copy all of this required stuff to it.

This retirement stuff sure keeps me busy!

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:06 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeEyedBandit View Post
If any body needs I've attached a ZIP containing pre-configed and compiled MultiWii and Arducopter HEX Files for easier upload. These are for a Quad in the 'X' configuration, and if you'd like a different config. let me know and I'll compile and upload them.

1- You'll need to get and install the drivers for the USB driver here

2- Then download and install MissionPlanner from http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/downloads/list"]here[/URL].
3- Open MissionPlanner, select the right port, set the baud rate to 115200 and goto the Firmware tab and click 'Load custom firmware'
4- Select 'MultiWii-QuadX.cpp.hex' and upload it away
5- Follow step 3 and 4 but select 'ArduCopter.cpp.hex' and upload it
6- Follow the steps below to clear the EEPROM and then you up and flying.
I can't get any of these links to work. They all give me a 404 error.

Sorry I did get the usb driver downloaded.

Sudsy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavin01 View Post
On The Ublox it is a CN-06 and in the instructions you changed the Baud rate
to 115200 and set to 5Hz is that correct? and in your last post you said 38400
Which should it be.
The instructions I am referring to [reproduced below], for loading 3DR txt only ever mention 38400 baud, 38400 is the correct baudrate for ublox GPS with 3DR txt loaded.

NOTE: I also set console and telemetry to 57600 which is plenty fast enough for MP NG. You can set those to whatever you choose, optional.

Quote:
You can also set the CN-06 V2.0 GPS to use the 3DR APM ublox script. 3DR-ublox.txt sets the ublox NEO-6M on the CRIUS CN-06 V2.0 to output only the more compact UBX protocol at 4Hz update which means the ATMEGA2560 wastes less time parsing the GPS data and can spend more time doing more important tasks like PID more often, also the default Navigation settings are for "Automotive" it changes it to "Flight" for faster response.

Instructions are here, they work exactly the same for CN-06 NOTE: this will NOT work with MTK-3329
http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot/wiki/ublox

In order for MP NG to recognize the 3DR text programmed CN-06 you need to make the following changes to APM_config.h;
set GPS protocol to UBLOX
set GPS baudrate to 38400

Like this

Quote:
// For BlackVortex, just set PIRATES_SENSOR_BOARD as PIRATES_BLACKVORTEX, GPS will be selected automatically
#define GPS_PROTOCOL GPS_PROTOCOL_UBLOX

/*
GPS_PROTOCOL_NONE without GPS
GPS_PROTOCOL_NMEA
GPS_PROTOCOL_SIRF
GPS_PROTOCOL_UBLOX <<< Select this for UBLOX LEA-6 (CRIUS GPS boards and others)
GPS_PROTOCOL_MTK16
GPS_PROTOCOL_BLACKVORTEX
GPS_PROTOCOL_AUTO auto select GPS
*/

#define SERIAL0_BAUD 57600 // Console port
#define SERIAL2_BAUD 38400 // GPS port
#define SERIAL3_BAUD 57600 // Telemetry (MAVLINK) port
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 05, 2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:14 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,790 Posts
Quote:
I can't get any of these links to work. They all give me a 404 error.

Sorry I did get the usb driver downloaded.

Sudsy
The link for the USB driver works for me

The Mission Planner link is broken.

Try this, in the text there is a link for downloading Mission Planner
http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/Mission
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 09:17 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,790 Posts
Quote:
What exactly happened was I hooked up my PC with the USB connection and the board came to life AS WELL AS THE RECEIVER. Then the receiver light kind of faded out. The display went blank
That changes things, if it worked and then "faded" suggests you may have applied too high a voltage [just a guess] and may have cooked something on the board, usually a diode or voltage regulator.

EDIT; you used USB so there should be no way to damage it, strange. Still I doubt it is really dead, maybe a lose connection on the LCD ?.

Re the question I didn't understand initially, this board flies very well for whatever use you wish to put it to.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:02 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined May 2012
822 Posts
Quote:
That changes things, if it worked and then "faded" suggests you may have applied too high a voltage [just a guess] and may have cooked something on the board, usually a diode or voltage regulator.

EDIT; you used USB so there should be no way to damage it, strange. Still I doubt it is really dead, maybe a lose connection on the LCD ?.

Re the question I didn't understand initially, this board flies very well for whatever use you wish to put it to.
Thanks! I'll keep pluggin!

It was the receiver that initially lit up and faded not the control board (KK2). The receiver is still working fine today and still flies with the replacement KK2 and version 1.2 firmware.

I'm sure that when I get it all together it will make more sense. I have so many things that come to mind about what I can and can't do or adjust or see.

I'm a Flight Test Engineer!

Jeese!

Sudsy
Last edited by Sudsy; Dec 05, 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: add text
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:34 PM
Australia, TAS, Ulverstone
Joined Oct 2009
27 Posts
Pin Outs

Hi all,
Just wondering which is correct. The data sheet says that A8 is throttle and A11 is Yaw. In the first post Radio Connections it says A8 is Yaw and A11 is throttle.

Bruce
view27 is offline Find More Posts by view27
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:48 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by view27 View Post
Hi all,
Just wondering which is correct. The data sheet says that A8 is throttle and A11 is Yaw. In the first post Radio Connections it says A8 is Yaw and A11 is throttle.

Bruce
Bruce, the "data sheet" on HK website is for MWii

MP NG uses different connections so trust what you see on the first post for use with MP NG

These are correct for MP NG

Quote:
A8 Purple = Rudder or Yaw
A9 White = Aileron or Roll
A10 Black = Throttle
A11 Grey = Elevator or Pitch
A12 Blue = Gear
A13 Green = Aux1
A14 Yellow = Aux2
A15 Orange = Aux3
Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I'll keep pluggin!

It was the receiver that initially lit up and faded not the control board (KK2). The receiver is still working fine today and still flies with the replacement KK2 and version 1.2 firmware.

I'm sure that when I get it all together it will make more sense. I have so many things that come to mind about what I can and can't do or adjust or see.

I'm a Flight Test Engineer!

Jeese!

Sudsy
OK, Flight Test Engineer! sounds like a great new career

Just try to avoid a new career in Crash testing
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:06 AM
Joined Oct 2009
27 Posts
Pin Out

Quote:
Bruce, the "data sheet" on HK website is for MWii

MP NG uses different connections so trust what you see on the first post for use with MP NG

These are correct for MP NG

Joe
Thanks for the quick reply Joe,
I have it all going bar the motors. (Waiting on some SimonK Esc's).
Checked in Mission Planner and went to calibrate the radio and found that the Throttle and Yaw were incorrect. Change over the pin out A8 and A10 to Throttle and Yaw and it calibrated correctly. Question is, do I leave it like that?
I did exactly as the post suggested and every thing went according to plan after I worked out how to get the correct firmware file into Arduino. The only thing I had to do differently was the MutiWii_dev_r1143. I had to use r1240 because I could not find the r1143 file.
It surprised me to see that the GPS is within a couple of meters of where it is supposed to be. It does drift but only the radio is calibrated at this stage.

Regards
Bruce
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:32 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,035 Posts
Quote:
...Question 4. What I am asking is how well does this board react to flight inputs for just maneuvering. Not flying a "profile" but just flying the quad like all my other dumb ones?...
For just plain stick flying, there´s the option to switch flight mode to "acro", which lets you do anything with the sticks, but the recommended flight mode is "stabilize" (Flight modes are switchable in-flight with ch.5)
Stabilize is what I use for free manouvering. It limits the roll and pitch angles to 45 degrees relative horizon, and returns to level flight when there is no stick input.
Silky smooth, yet very responsive is how it works for me. Took me about 4-5 flights to get everything tuned.

A lot of good info is found in the ArduCopter Wiki

Quote:
...I have a new netbook that I will configure for my "field PC" and I will copy all of this required stuff to it....
Those nice Google maps are stored locally, so you won't need an internet connection on the field.
Just zoom in on whatever area you plan to fly in, while you are connected, and then you're set.

In case you've missed it, one of the first things you'll want together with that netbook is a 3DR telemetry radio.
Jabrams guide for setting it up is excellent.

Happy plugging.

/J
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:48 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by view27 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Joe,
I have it all going bar the motors. (Waiting on some SimonK Esc's).
Checked in Mission Planner and went to calibrate the radio and found that the Throttle and Yaw were incorrect. Change over the pin out A8 and A10 to Throttle and Yaw and it calibrated correctly.
Not sure what you are saying. Are you saying that you found A8 is Throttle and A10 is Yaw ? that is wrong if you are running MP NG firmware

A8 is Yaw
A9 is Roll
A10 is Throttle
A11 is Pitch

Remember that Pitch has to be reversed in your transmitter, so that the operation on APM Planner Radio Calibration in fact appears to be incorrect. Check this again once you have your motors armed in your frame by holding down your Multicopter and applying Pitch to ensure it operates correctly.

Quote:
Question is, do I leave it like that?/
You leave it the way it operates correctly in Mission Planner Radio Calibration except for Pitch which should operate backwards.

Quote:
I did exactly as the post suggested and every thing went according to plan after I worked out how to get the correct firmware file into Arduino. The only thing I had to do differently was the MutiWii_dev_r1143. I had to use r1240 because I could not find the r1143 file.
Yes, that is correct MutiWii_dev_r1143 link which I had on the first page stopped working, because there is a newer MWii version, earlier today I edited the first page with a link to MutiWii_dev_r1240

Quote:
It surprised me to see that the GPS is within a couple of meters of where it is supposed to be. It does drift but only the radio is calibrated at this stage.
The GPS is amazingly accurate outdoors after it has been on for a while with a clear view of the sky, just be aware that if you switch GPS off for a few hours it will take some [variable] time to become that accurate again
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:12 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
4,790 Posts
Deleted, my question was already answered.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 06, 2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Oct 2009
27 Posts
Hi Joe,
That is correct. I found that A8 is Throttle and A10 is Yaw in Mission Planner and I am running MP NG. I am expecting the ESC's next week sometime so it will be interesting to see if it arms.
Maybe they have changed something on the board as I did have to wait a couple of months for them to come off backorder.
OK on reversing the Pitch. I will check all the settings and calibrations properly when the ESC"s arrive. I have no doubt there will be another couple of questions to come although there are a lot of answers already on the forum.

Thanks Again
Bruce
Closed Thread