HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:11 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLength View Post
I've done the calibration with two different boards (one mounted) and revolved it 3 times per axis. It gives me an accurate reading but it's off by 20 - 25 degrees.

I tried different ROTATE_YAW_270 amounts in the config.h (180, 90, NONE and finally 225). They do rotate the board around but it seems clumsy.

I have the magnetic declination correct and i've tried it with and without auto learn compass in advanced.

The board is a whitespy with standard mtk3394 gps chip. I've tested in different locations around the house and outside away from metal. Also testing with just the FC board and nothing else except usb cable (no gps).

I just can't work it out it's taken me 10 or 15 hours so far and I'm still nowhere.

In Mission Planner Configuration - Arducopter Level - Frame Setup, select the X configuration

EDIT:
also check in in APM_Config.h that you have correctly selected your Frame and Frame Orientation, here I am setting up a hex frame in X orientation

Quote:
//#define FRAME_CONFIG QUAD_FRAME
#define FRAME_CONFIG HEXA_FRAME
/*
QUAD_FRAME
TRI_FRAME
HEXA_FRAME
Y6_FRAME
OCTA_FRAME
OCTA_QUAD_FRAME
HELI_FRAME
*/

#define FRAME_ORIENTATION X_FRAME
/*
PLUS_FRAME
X_FRAME
V_FRAME
*/
Compass Calibration for Arducopter which is the same for MP NG is here, scroll down the page
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_First
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 04, 2012 at 10:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:13 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
Quote:
...I've done the calibration with two different boards (one mounted) and revolved it 3 times per axis. It gives me an accurate reading but it's off by 20 - 25 degrees...
Been fighting that mag myself a good few times.
FWIW, this is what works most times for me.

Find an open space 4 -5 meters (~15ft) away from any metals or electronics to do it.
Do the calibration according to page 12 in this -> http://mikrokopter.altigator.com/doc...ser-manual.pdf
Point the board to true magnetic north, not just in bearing, but pitch also. On my latitude that means about 40 degrees down. The idea being to keep straight angles to the magnetic field.

Another method I've tried with modest success is to set it to autolearn, wait for GPS 3D-fix and take it for a half hour ride in my car to get moving position data from the GPS.
Stupid and cumbersome, but it works.

Once you get it calibrated, be sure to store the tlog-file from that session. It can be used to restore the calibration data.
The mag offsets are also available in advanced parameters in the planner.
I've never toyed with those offsets, but in theory you could adjust the calibration there.

/J
JNJO is offline Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
Edit: All sorted. Was the tin roof of my house offsetting it by 30 degrees.

--

Old Post:

Thanks for your help I'll try modifying the pitch like you said.

I would just do the fly technique but I'm unable to compile with logging enabled in the source. Seemed to be missing object 'DataFlash' with the logging define set to enabled. I assumed it was taken out for this version (2.7 R5).
LegendLength is offline Find More Posts by LegendLength
Last edited by LegendLength; Dec 04, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
Quote:
...I would just do the fly technique but I'm unable to compile with logging enabled in the source...
EDIT 2: It's more likely the rlog that holds mag offset, and other data. Tlog is probably only Mavlink data.

You don't need to enable logging in the source to get a rlog/tlog, but you need to be connected to the planner while flying, to generate it. You get a new rlog/tlog every time you connect and then disconnect in the planner. They're really useful for fault-finding, and post-flight analysis.
They end up in *\APM planner\logs.
Either use bluetooth, which is very short range, (works if you do the car trick) or a 3DR, which you'll really want anyway once you get this board working for you.

I'm guessing that the logging you refer to is a leftover from arducopter, and is not supported by this hardware.

Keep at it, mate.
Your first successful auto-mission flight will be well worth the initial hassle.

/J

Edit: Just saw your update. Nice. hehe....wicked tin-roofs...
Last edited by JNJO; Dec 04, 2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:34 PM
It's Just a Hobby!
Joined May 2012
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
Deleted... OFF topic!!
I should probably just shut up but can't!

Why do you think my post was off topic? I was simply saying that I am not going to ask a bunch of repetitive questions and am searching for my answers within the post that are already here. I am trying to get one of these boards flying and sure hope I don't wind up in the same boat with subaru4wd.

I feel that with my 37 years of Flight Test experience (real airplanes and 20 years of helicopter) I may be of some help here. I think it is childish for anyone to delete anyone's post that is not foul or improper.

Sudsy
Sudsy is online now Find More Posts by Sudsy
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:35 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Why don't you want to be in the same boat as me??

Only took me a few hours to set things up. Witespy probably saved me hours of time by pre-loading MW2.1 and having the GPS pre-configured for my board.

But here's my board working on MPNG
Testing MPNG on my new Mega Flight controller (1 min 1 sec)
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
@subaru4wd.
Cool. Cant wait to see the flight videos.
You did notice your altitude reading looks a bit funny, right?
Or do you have a really deep basement?

/J
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:00 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
@subaru4wd.
Cool. Cant wait to see the flight videos.
You did notice your altitude reading looks a bit funny, right?
Or do you have a really deep basement?

/J
I noticed. Also the altitude would change up & down frequently even though the quad was sitting on the floor the entire time.

I think I have some calibrating to do.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:14 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
If you only have the onboard baro it will jump +/- 0.5 - 1M (2-3ft). Perfectly normal, and you wont see that much in the air with the software filter working and throttle rate tuning set right.
But that much negative altitude raw data should be looked in to.
You've set correct baro in APM_config? BMP-085?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:28 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
Is it worth looking through the code for tuning purposes or doesn't it add much value?
LegendLength is offline Find More Posts by LegendLength
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:48 PM
we dont NEED roads!
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
If you only have the onboard baro it will jump +/- 0.5 - 1M (2-3ft). Perfectly normal, and you wont see that much in the air with the software filter working and throttle rate tuning set right.
But that much negative altitude raw data should be looked in to.
You've set correct baro in APM_config? BMP-085?
I am using witespy's 2.0 board and the spec's show the barometer is a MS5611 so in the APM_Config.h I used
Code:
#define CONFIG_BARO AP_BARO_MS5611_I2C
Should I be using the BMP-085 setting instead?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:56 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
I should probably just shut up but can't!

Why do you think my post was off topic? I was simply saying that I am not going to ask a bunch of repetitive questions and am searching for my answers within the post that are already here. I am trying to get one of these boards flying and sure hope I don't wind up in the same boat with subaru4wd.

I feel that with my 37 years of Flight Test experience (real airplanes and 20 years of helicopter) I may be of some help here. I think it is childish for anyone to delete anyone's post that is not foul or improper.

Sudsy
I don't understand what occurred there, maybe arkcopter quoted your post and responded to you then changed his mind and edited his own response. I doubt he can delete your post and doesn't seem like he edited your post. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Welcome, we all would like to see you succeed, subaru4wd is doing fine, he has a slightly different board, not the HobbyKing Mega.

By the way, I also have a tin roof and I can perform compass calibration inside the house, maybe it is my 14 foot ceiling and timber floor way above ground.

It is best to perform compass calibration outdoors. Which is when a 3DRadio really becomes useful.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Dec 04, 2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:03 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
@subaru4wd

do not change the barometer definition, if it was wrong it would not work at all.

Can you take a photo of your board where I can see the writing on the sensors used. I would like to confirm for myself which way around the sensors are positioned on the whitespy board.

All barometers drift a fair way in the initial 3 or 6 minutes, I think it is from internal heating affecting the temperature compensation, of course if you leave it running for a few hours the atmospheric pressure can change a lot, all normal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:11 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Is it worth looking through the code for tuning purposes or doesn't it add much value?
Check the frame and frame orientation is correct in the code, all the rest is done using Mission Planner
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Tweaks

There is also a video on DIY Drones that has you suspend the multicopter between 2 posts on a rope for tuning PID.

I tried that, very dangerous, if you try it make sure you do wear something like long welding gloves and eye protection. End result was it did not help much compared to usual pid tuning methods.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:26 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,483 Posts
Quote:
Edit: All sorted. Was the tin roof of my house offsetting it by 30 degrees.

--

Old Post:

Thanks for your help I'll try modifying the pitch like you said.

I would just do the fly technique but I'm unable to compile with logging enabled in the source. Seemed to be missing object 'DataFlash' with the logging define set to enabled. I assumed it was taken out for this version (2.7 R5).
the data flash is not on this board, it is on the original APM 2.5 board, I have one of those, to be honest, I don't find it useful.

I used "Method 2: Flying Attitude Tuning with CH6:" on this page, that makes PID tuning real easy
http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/AC2_Tweaks
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread