SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
I checked out the gluonpilot board some time ago but..I had to admit the sensors are primitive ...the code does well to bring the best out of the board but at 240 USD for the rtf kit with the gps unit.. it is a bit costly cosidering the flight quality hardly differs from an 8 bit processor...and more often than not the code is just a port of the 8 bit version as stated earlier ...but over here the situation is just a bit better because Tom Pyke the creator uses a kalman filter instead of the more common complimentary filter to handle the IMU data..that's it.... everything else is APM style..open source code... the GCS...with a smaller dataflash...even with a 16 bit pic the flight quality does not differ...so a uav system which is more than 8 bits is out for now...more developed platforms for 8bit MCU's are available.....
...OFF TOPIC...srry..
Akcopter is offline Find More Posts by Akcopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:34 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
I checked out the gluonpilot board some time ago but..I had to admit the sensors are primitive ...the code does well to bring the best out of the board but at 240 USD for the rtf kit with the gps unit.. it is a bit costly cosidering the flight quality hardly differs from an 8 bit processor...and more often than not the code is just a port of the 8 bit version as stated earlier ...but over here the situation is just a bit better because Tom Pyke the creator uses a kalman filter instead of the more common complimentary filter to handle the IMU data..that's it.... everything else is APM style..open source code... the GCS...with a smaller dataflash...even with a 16 bit pic the flight quality does not differ...so a uav system which is more than 8 bits is out for now...more developed platforms for 8bit MCU's are available.....
...OFF TOPIC...srry..
I have also the expensive GluonPilot ... it make sense for aeroplane, with advanced waypoints configuration, and advanced RTOS that can be used for make things more complex. I personally like the GluonPilot board, but I admit is a bit pricey ...

As well ... 8bit is normally just enough, especially for fly a multicopter ... but ... if you start to add multiple feature, like logging, OSD , telemetry, etc etc ... as seen on this 2.5 board .. is looking that 8bit start to get narrow ...

ps: My objective for this board is have waypoints navigations on a
quad copter ... something that MultiWii does not have natively ...
e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:56 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_lm_70 View Post
I
ps: My objective for this board is have waypoints navigations on a
quad copter ... something that MultiWii does not have natively ...
I see the problem now, you didn't notice the title of this thread which is about running MP NG on the HK Mega which is mature tested firmware which handles waypoint navigation.

Quote:
MegaPirate NG on HK MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module
Requests from a few posters to have a separate thread dealing only with testing MegaPirate NG on the new HobbyKing MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module

The thread for testing this board with Multiwii is here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1726790
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
Alright back to topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
The change from original HK to mega 2.0 and mega 2.5 is newer sensors,
Dou you yet know which ones ? Better than the AIOP ?

There´s also a question bugging me all the time... You can get all the boards connected to telemetry kits as xbee or the ones sold by rctimer.. Can you use these instead of Bluetooth ? Why is it not possible to use wifi instead of using this propietary system... you could easily connect it to every laptop with a decent range and wouldn´t have to plug in a stupid groud station all the time if the xbee would be wifi ? Am I getting sth. wrong `?
mopedcrosser is offline Find More Posts by mopedcrosser
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:01 PM
Austria
Joined Jan 2004
7,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
I see the problem now, you didn't notice the title of this thread which is about running MP NG on the HK Mega which is mature tested firmware which handles waypoint navigation.
What?

This thread is about megaPirate, that's support waypoints so .... I'm in the right place

e_lm_70 is online now Find More Posts by e_lm_70
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopedcrosser View Post
Alright back to topic

Dou you yet know which ones ? Better than the AIOP ?

There´s also a question bugging me all the time... You can get all the boards connected to telemetry kits as xbee or the ones sold by rctimer.. Can you use these instead of Bluetooth ? Why is it not possible to use wifi instead of using this propietary system... you could easily connect it to every laptop with a decent range and wouldn´t have to plug in a stupid groud station all the time if the xbee would be wifi ? Am I getting sth. wrong `?
which ones ? Better than the AIOP ? my personal preference over AIOP without a doubt is the RCtimer Arduflier
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...8&productname=

or even better bundled with GPS and 3DRadio
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname=

xbee is usually short range and boards are not as convenient to connect as 3DRadio.

You can use wifi if you figure out how to connect it to a serial port with 3.3V levels at the correct baud rate.

3DRadio is NOT proprietary, it is fully open source.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Nov 22, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,186 Posts
Delete
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Last edited by TheFernMan; Nov 22, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:09 PM
België, Vlaams Gewest, Aalst
Joined Apr 2011
87 Posts
DELETED (my stupid mistake)

But many thanks for the instructions in the first post!!

Greetz,

Pesadilla
pesadilla is offline Find More Posts by pesadilla
Last edited by pesadilla; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: found the answer
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:29 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesadilla View Post
When checking in Mission Planner the yaw and pitch gyro work as they should but when tilting the board to the left, the 'horizon' line goes the opposite way.
This subject confuses a lot of people, I don't think there is anything wrong.

Check that you have the white arrow marked on the board facing forward, pointing away from you.

make sure the board is level

Look at the curved white line at the top of the display marked 60 0 60 with a red triangle pointing up at the 0 on that curved white line.

When you tilt the board to the left the red triangle will move to the left of 0

That is correct.

The green ground will tilt to the right. That is also correct.

Imagine you are sitting in the cockpit of an airplane and it tilts to the left, if you are sitting upright inside that airplane the horizon will appear to tilt down on the right.

Sit upright and look at something that is horizontal like a table, now tilt your head to the left and you will see that the table appears to tilt down toward the right.

This is all normal.

Before flying the first time check that Pitch/elevator is working correctly, pulling the pitch lever down should make the front of the multirotor rise.

Edit: I see you worked it out, no harm done, I will leave my reply here, it may help others.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:37 PM
België, Vlaams Gewest, Aalst
Joined Apr 2011
87 Posts
Hi Jabram,

Thanks for the reply, I didn't think somebody would be so fast to reply.

It's as you explained.... lol

greetz,

Pesadilla
pesadilla is offline Find More Posts by pesadilla
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:38 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,392 Posts
It is the quick and the dead around here
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2012, 12:58 AM
india
Joined Nov 2006
1 Posts
Megapirate plane on multiwii pro HK

I am impressed the way Multiwii pro is configured and discussed in this thread ,could some one tell me how to configure this board with Megapirate plane or for gliders

thanks
aviator_rs is offline Find More Posts by aviator_rs
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:24 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Sep 2006
138 Posts
jabram thanks for all the info. It might be a dumb question but will all the instructions on the first page work for whitespy's mega 2.0 board or is it slightly different for loading / compiling than the HK board?
LegendLength is offline Find More Posts by LegendLength
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLength View Post
jabram thanks for all the info. It might be a dumb question but will all the instructions on the first page work for whitespy's mega 2.0 board or is it slightly different for loading / compiling than the HK board?
It should work exactly the same, I have not tried whitespy board but I have no doubt it will load MP NG just fine and it should work slightly better with the newer sensors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:19 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
1,298 Posts
I see that there are the connections on the mega for what looks like the ones needed for a ftdi programming board.
Can this board be programmed in this fashion ?

Thanks

In
BigJimNZ is online now Find More Posts by BigJimNZ
Closed Thread