HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:25 AM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
@akcopter. initially I thought the 3Dradio was junk, I had all sorts of issues which turned out to be settings, these are the settings that work for me, and they work extremely well at 115,200 baud

Note that APM planner handles the 3DRadio BOTH radios local and remote directly, the screen shot above is from APM Planner, shows setting read from local and remote radio.

once I got past the issues I am very pleased with my 3Dradio. I chose the 433mHz because GSM like you mentioned here in Australia, I am in a rural environment here, cell phone reception is poor here, nearest city is 30KM away my next door neighbor is 1 KM, I have not performed long range testing of 3DRadio because that doesn't interest me that much, I can do some range testing if you want.

I am planning to do FPV in remote inland areas of Australia Northen Territory and Western Australia usually line of sight, using the HexX to save me crawling up some tall cliff etc in temps of 45 C in the shade!!. I can tell you this, I have the 3DRadio hooked up to my PC inside the house 2 rooms away from the edge of the house which has a complete metal roof, when I fly outside the house on the side furthest from my 3DR indoor antenna APM planner records a perfect log, nothing is missing.

MP NG is basically ArduCopter so what that does MP NG does, look on DIY drones and the information there on 3DRadio is 100% relevant to MP NG.

Easy solution for the scenario you describe would be a failsafe to trigger RTH at a safe altitude to avoid trees for example in the way, but that is not easy to set up at the receiver, certainly not with my DX18 and AR9020 receiver, when that gets out of range there is no definite signal that can be used to notify the FC of signal loss, the AR9020 can either keep sending the last used controls which does NOT make it easy to detect receiver is out of range.

I read an interesting post today where someone suggested using the receiver LED to trigger fail safe, sounds crazy, dumb, but nothing could be simpler nor more reliable than the LED on the receiver, how to hook that up neatly to the FC I will investigate. Antennas, I haven't even started on but will work on that along with video in coming months, first I wanted to research a FC I can trust and has the features I need, next a better frame etc etc.

By the way, have you seen this
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo...7&productname=
Includes a 3DRadio clone Local with a handy USB interface instead of the long bulky FTDI lead I am using and remote and APM and GPS, I paid that much just for my genuine 3DRadio and I doubt that clone is inferior in any way.
A thread about it here on RCG
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1752761
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Nov 09, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:59 AM
Joined Apr 2012
519 Posts
I have the turnigy 9x...I dont know if the reciever keeps sending the last used signals in case of a loss of rc link..that possibility is very remote as I am planing to upgrade to the RMILEC UHF mod for the turnigy 9x...so Rc link loss is ruled out but...when executing an auto mission ...like most of us have experienced the copter is flying well beyond visual range...and we are completely oblivious to the orientation of the craft..and if the 3DR radio losses range...worst case scenario.....the copter should head back home I am not considering the loss of an rc link here....because if I have a FPV Tx on board and I am being able to recieve the video signal then I can surely atleast guide it home using manual mode as my tx is long range...but if I dont have anything and I am blind then the copter should switch to RTL even if rc link is present......I think I read about this a long time ago on DIY drones that failsafe RTL is possible but this was on the main rc radio link failure..and not on the 3DR ....so are you aware of something like this????....also the next most obvious thing would be to keep a dedicated switch on my RC tx for RTL...if in such a situaion where the mission planner freezes I can quickly switch to RTL...and Incase of Rc link faillure the copter will head back home..according to the preplaned failsafe......
Anyways I think I am stating the bleeding obvious here............
so after all this blabbering yes.....I would like you to please do a 3DR radio range test without..wrecking your sweet little Hex....
Akcopter is online now Find More Posts by Akcopter
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:35 AM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
@Akcopter, Not a problem, I will do 3DRadio range testing in the next couple of days and report the results here..

What I find frustrating is we have all these inexpensive advanced Flight Controllers which we connect to expensive RC Radios and Receivers that are still back in the dark ages.

No risk of wrecking my Hex, it I will drive it down the road and examine the log.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jul 2010
56 Posts
So what's the verdict between 1.0, 2.0 and 2.5. Wait for 2.5; and if you can't then get 1.0? Skip 2.0 altogether?
Maeltne is offline Find More Posts by Maeltne
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeltne View Post
So what's the verdict between 1.0, 2.0 and 2.5. Wait for 2.5; and if you can't then get 1.0? Skip 2.0 altogether?
Excellent question however the answer right now is not so easy.

Right now for me 1.0 [the original HK FC] works best.

I do have a CRIUS AIOP V1 which is the exact equivalent of 2.5 however for me that does not fly as well as 1.0 in the same frame, same motors, same radios etc.

In theory 2.5 should work better as it has the better baro and MPU6050, so maybe I have a faulty MPU6050 on my CRIUS AIOP, or maybe, the MPU6050 reacts differently to vibration from my frame.

Do NOT imagine that I have a lot of vibration in my frame, I do not. I have gone to great lengths to minimize vibration in my frame.

I have flight tested a 32 bit flight controller which uses a MPU6050 in my frame and it flew OK, which is why I suspect I may have a faulty MPU6050 on my CRIUS [2.5 equivalent] anything is possible.

As I only have 1 CRIUS, there is no way for me to test if it is a faulty MPU6050 until 2.5 comes along as I am definitely not buying another CRIUS because I simply do not like CRIUS AIOP layout and their stupid little white connectors.

If you want something right now, go for 2.0 from whitespy which is exactly like the original FC from HK
http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/fli...ontroller.html

If you want the latest sensors and a better USB connector then wait for whitespy to have stock of 2.5
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jabram; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:40 PM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,147 Posts
DIYMulticopter.com has the board the way we want but it's more expensive at just over $100 plus gps. :/

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352515240.798638.jpg
Views: 277
Size: 125.0 KB
Description:
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:11 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
Well, not exactly, not even close. USB connector same weak one everyone ends up breaking, and it is completely different to what we discussed, Headers already soldered on going out sideways is not a good idea IMHO as it then needs a LOT more room around the sides for the header cable etc and better chance to transfer vibration, just my 2 cents, and at that price may as well buy the APM 2.5 from RCTimer.

RCTimer website has been down for the past 15 hours.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
Well, not exactly, not even close. USB connector same weak one everyone ends up breaking, and it is completely different to what we discussed, Headers already soldered on going out sideways is not a good idea IMHO as it then needs a LOT more room around the sides for the header cable etc and better chance to transfer vibration, just my 2 cents, and at that price may as well buy the APM 2.5 from RCTimer.

RCTimer website has been down for the past 15 hours.
It's pictured with headers but you don't have to order them. but yea you're right, surface mounted USB connector.

Yup the flight controllers are getting better priced.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1352517411.339095.jpg
Views: 127
Size: 109.5 KB
Description:
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,147 Posts
But it does have the sensors we want, plugs for the lipo monitor and regular headers instead of those small white connectors. It's pretty close lol except for the price.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:22 PM
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFernMan View Post
But it does have the sensors we want, plugs for the lipo monitor and regular headers instead of those small white connectors. It's pretty close lol except for the price.
these are good times to be buying a decent flight controller without getting ripped off and Arducopter MP NG firmware has the best mature features, not promises of work in progress like a lot of others. Until all the work on 32 bit FC is finished and all the bugs get ironed out AND they actually deliver real better flight performance than the 8 bit mature FC the HK Mega or whitespy 2.0 or MP 2.5 from RC timers are my choices. Which one you grab depends on what other bits and pieces you want to bundle and who offers the best bundle with the mix you are looking for at a fair price.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
519 Posts
whitespy showed up and said the board shipping was delayed due to frankenstorm sandy but now after almost 3-4 days after whitespy said the board will be back in stock..... my order is still on backorder at the HK store...when is the original board going to be back in stock.???....what is the status of the availability of the 1.0 board.??..
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:41 AM
Disturbed, but in a good way.
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Nov 2009
143 Posts
Has anyone gotten the gimbal to work? I've played with some of the settings, but cant get it going.
RotoGoat is offline Find More Posts by RotoGoat
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:14 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
whitespy showed up and said the board shipping was delayed due to frankenstorm sandy but now after almost 3-4 days after whitespy said the board will be back in stock..... my order is still on backorder at the HK store...when is the original board going to be back in stock.???....what is the status of the availability of the 1.0 board.??..
Witespy has no connection with HobbyKing. Witespy has his own store and his stock is not HobbyKing stock. His v1.0 board is very similar to what HobbyKing v1.0 board. Same layout. So if you want the v1.0 board, just get it from him. Someone else has already cancel the HK order and is gonna buy it from Witespy's store. No one here know when HobbyKing is going to have those board in stock.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:00 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2012
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akcopter View Post
You need to be mad at Hobby King not Paul.

I gave up waiting and cancelled my hobby king order.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2012
519 Posts
Oh well I'm sorry to be ignorant ....but wasnt he the supplier of these board for hobby king...or did I get that wrong....I am sorry for my rant but the wait is killing me......
Closed Thread