HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:12 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Nov 2011
19 Posts
Discussion
50's Style Kneeler

Here's my latest. It's a 1/4 Scale 50's style shovelnose outboard hydro. I'm running all P Spec stuff on a hyperformance bullet drive. Next I will work on the driver and an old mercury MK55H engine cowling.
Enjoy,
BRB
Slowboat510 is offline Find More Posts by Slowboat510
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:50 PM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
597 Posts
It looks great- can't wait to see it with a driver.

Jay
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:24 PM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
456 Posts
VERY cool! Looks a bit like a Sid-Son.

I am hoping to get back to my kneeler hydro - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173296 . Kinda got sidetracked with some other projects. The framework is presently sitting on the shelf awaiting skinning. My original plan of using the GTX-650 has given way to using a Pro Boat outboard. It'll be heavy, but I like the more scale look...
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:49 PM
Joined Nov 2011
19 Posts
Jay, the driver will make a huge difference in the appearance of the boat. So too will an engine cowling. I'll definitely post pictures.

Scott, good to hear from you. Your Hedlund was a big motivator for me to make this boat. I hope you can get back to it soon. If I remember correctly, yours is 1/4 scale too.

Here's a picture of the framing. I drew it up in AutoCAD, then had everything laser cut. It went together perfectly. Lots of parts, but I added a lot of details so that the finished hull would be scale in apperance.

Bill
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:53 PM
Joined Nov 2011
19 Posts
More '50's Scale Outboard model boat stuff. Check this stuff out. These guys take it to a new level.
http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ith-R-C-models
First time I looked at them, I thought they were full scale!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,238 Posts
Note there have been a few kneeler types on this forum you can search and see.
Amp Abuser is offline Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
Old Nov 10, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Nov 2011
19 Posts
I took the boat to the pond today. Here's a video.
111012 Test Run (2 min 11 sec)
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,072 Posts
Still no driver (I was looking forward to seeing that) but I'll say it's running faster than a scale speed. Sounds like it does like to tail hop in the corners though.
I think you'll find that if you make right hand turns it will corner better unless by chance that's a reverse rotation motor & prop setup.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:30 AM
1000 Islands, NY
Joined Dec 2009
456 Posts
I think he was looking for a more scale running hydro - 1:1 hydros are left turn only.
Chinewalker is offline Find More Posts by Chinewalker
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Nov 2011
19 Posts
Driver and Engine Cowl: These are in process. I'm glad to hear you are following the progress and looking forward to updates. They are not progressing as fast as they could. I have to balance work, school and family, but I will keep this project moving forward and post updates. I'm looking forward to completing them.
Cornering/Tail Hop: Yes, you noticed the tail hop. I think this is mostly due to moving the batteries farther and farther forward. In my picklefork 1/4 scale kneelers, this is not a problem but in a shovelnose. Keeping it on the water is the biggest challenge. I knew this when I designed it and put every trick I know into the design to keep it on the water. The other factors of course are propeller and set up. I have only scratched the surface there.
Cornering/Direction: Chinewalker is correct. For this boat, I consiously set this up for left hand for scale purposes. Mostly, the intent for this boat was scale over racing but early indications are that it can handle the speed for racing. Interestingly, getting an outboard hydro to turn right is proving very difficult. This is a common challenge for those building and racing 1/4 Scale Kneelers. When turning right, they want to spin out very easily. They are ultra sensitive to the c/g to fin placement relationship. The prop rotation is the stock direction. I also plan to build a 1/4 scale shovelnose for nitro racing in the 20 Stock Kneeler class that is popular in the Northwest. That boat will be set up to turn right.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:14 AM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Very nice...looking forward to seeing more of your progress....just something about these shovelnoses, they catch my eye everytime i see one....DJ
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:12 PM
u.s.a.
Joined Jun 2008
183 Posts
shovel nose help please!

Hello guys, someone just gave me this thread to look at for help. i am looking to build a roundnose racer soon. i have been building r/c warbirds since 1972. now i would like to build my 30 year old son an old school racer as a gift. so, like the big man said " i know nothing" [hogan's hero's] about boats,motors, and hardware drive. maybe you guys could take me on as a teachable student. i have scratch built a few very large Ziroli warbirds recently and still scratch building two new E-powered float planes from plans as of today. winter is here in new hampshire and i could use plans or maybe even a dumas kit of that old roudnose type. also would like to build a 36" to 48" hull roundnose as for the size someday. any help would be great. thank you guys. btw, Olwarbirds your avaitar shows a A1-H Skyraider. tail# 500. Bob the owner is a dear friend of mine. call sign "Skyraider Bob" don
airboss45 is offline Find More Posts by airboss45
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:52 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,072 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss45 View Post
Hello guys, someone just gave me this thread to look at for help. i am looking to build a roundnose racer soon.
Hey boss. I'm pretty sure we can find you some help (seems you have the skills) but might be good to start a thread of your own instead of a bunch of us giving instructions and suggestions in this build log.
I'm pretty sure the thread owner would appreciate it.
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Top Gun 2014
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:55 PM
Newton and I are good friends
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Jan 2009
2,050 Posts
Hi Don, wish i could help ya guy..but im here to learn about the shovelnose myself...its one thats on my list to own/build this winter too....these guys here and on OSE (offshoreelectrics) are a very knowledgable good group of guys... DJ

PS..I love the skyraider...very special plane...if ya ever want to chat about it or any other plane shoot me a pm or email....
olwarbirds is offline Find More Posts by olwarbirds