SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SteveSw, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, NY, Bethpage
Joined Nov 2011
90 Posts
Discussion
SkyLake Sopwith Triplane -rubber powered

Just off the bench is my Skylake Sopwith Triplane. It's not one of the newer laser cut kits but one of the older router cut variety. Built pretty much stock but wanting something a bit different for my first of the building season, I decided to put her on skis.

I like to primarily build scale and when possible I like to emulate an actual plane. I feel it just adds to the enjoyment of the build although it can be frustrating at times.

Shes in the colors of N5486, the only Tripehound sent to Russia for evaluation during WW1.From what I have read, the red stars were added over the roundels during the Russian Revolution of late 1917. Dont think she ever saw combat but I added the MG anyway as any self respecting Sopwith should have one. I used preshrunk tissue and dope and airbrushed on the national markings using stencils. The N number was printed on decal paper with the factory tailfin markings printed directly on tissue.
SteveSw is offline Find More Posts by SteveSw
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Feb 2013
1 Posts
No comments? Great job, Steve. I have built a few Skylake kits and have a few more router cut kits in the basement waiting.
You chose an unusual subject so good on you!
I assume you used nitrate as the butyrate will destroy the light balsa in the kits.
My BU-131 flew great. Have you flown this one?
Dave
KC
dmar836 is offline Find More Posts by dmar836
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, NY, Bethpage
Joined Nov 2011
90 Posts
Thanks for the nice comment, Dave.
I'm a bit left of center in everything I do so life is never boring for me! Can't remember the last time i actually built a kit stock.
Yup, I use nitrate exclusively. Its starting to warm up here in the northeast a bit so yes, I'm anxious to get to the field and start trimming this winters builds. During backyard glide tests, she responded much better to a slight incidence change so its on to power trimming at the club field.
Thanks again,
Steve
SteveSw is offline Find More Posts by SteveSw