SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
New Product
Sub-$300 quadrotor kit released on Kickstarter

Hey guys, thanks for the helpful comments in my last thread.

Our Kickstarter project was just accepted after a lengthy review process! So I'm glad to announce the R10, a sub-$300 quadrotor kit aimed at hobbyists and academia.

Take a look! http://kck.st/T6e7mu

And our website: http://www.uair.co

This is my first time with a Kickstarter project, so any thoughts and suggestions very welcome and appreciated!
Max
mbruner is offline Find More Posts by mbruner
Last edited by mbruner; Oct 16, 2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Sorry, the Kickstarter link wasn't working. Should work now.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Sep 2012
58 Posts
Pardon my last response to you... I now feel like a jerk

Have you flown this yet? Any videos? I really like the arm wraps, those are nice.
Tunderslimer is offline Find More Posts by Tunderslimer
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:37 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Your link to kickstarter isn't working.

32-bit 9DOF. I am considering your $75 pledge.

How far along is the firmware? How is the altitude hold working? Have a video?

Looks fun. Good luck!
oddcopter is offline Find More Posts by oddcopter
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:20 AM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Ok, after some consideration, I am in for $75. I'm holding off for now on the $4700 pledge to have the next product called OddCopter!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:17 AM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Wow! I made the kickstarter pledge after looking at the specs for the FC and thought it would be a cool way to support its development. But after reading your first post I am NOT impressed. What were you thinking? Sounds like total b.s. Based on that, I will be very surprised if it gets off the ground, pun intended.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1751198
Last edited by oddcopter; Oct 16, 2012 at 01:22 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Oddcopter I have a kickstarter for you! http://www.ambiolight.com/#!home/mainPage

(kickstarter is a scam)
Exploding Fist is offline Find More Posts by Exploding Fist
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:03 AM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
Pledge cancelled. Too bad, the FC looks pretty cool.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 03:26 AM
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Link fixed. Should work now. Sorry about that.
mbruner is offline Find More Posts by mbruner
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:45 AM
jab
Unregistered User
Joined Aug 2007
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exploding Fist View Post
Oddcopter I have a kickstarter for you! http://www.ambiolight.com/#!home/mainPage

(kickstarter is a scam)
Sure Ambiolight is sketchy, marketing Chinese led strips as a new invention with a 500% markup.

But I fail to see how that makes Kickstarter a scam? Sure they have some problems. But you have to separate Kickstarter the concept, from bad apples trying to misuse the system to make a quick buck.

I think the biggest problem Kicstarter has right now, is making people understand their are not purchasing a finished product. Instead they are pledging money for the possibility of making a good idea come true. Always, always pledge with the realization that there is no guarantee they you will ever receive anything. There are literally a thousand ways for a start-up project with inexperienced first time creators to fail, even after funding is complete. And that's the whole idea. To give those inexperienced creators a chance to make their idea come true trough crowd sourcing, without having to mortgage their house in the process.
jab is offline Find More Posts by jab
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:44 AM
Joined Mar 2012
170 Posts
What "off the shelf" motors are you using?
wordupmag is offline Find More Posts by wordupmag
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts
If they are the ones in the pictures, they look like kedas:

http://kedamodel.com/

I believe HobbyKing sells them as kda and hacker style.

I have had good luck with them.

This project may be ligit, I just didn't like the initial deception, which has now mostly been edited out of the original post.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
What I mean by "kickstarter is a scam" is that there are a ton of projects that are only marketing where either the final product should be considered a scam "e.g. ambrolight', or the person being pledged has no real intention or means to actually finish the product (or lose motivation the second they get the money). Kickstarter doesn't enforce that anything is delivered, and even post warnings everywhere saying so. Even if you make a product, it's in your best interest to say you failed so that you don't have to give anything out. I'm sure there are diamonds in the rough, but I don't hate my money that much.

Also I love the edit of that post oddcopter linked. Changed post from 'I have no idea what I'm doing, maybe this design could work?', do a bunch of marketing on the intent of the project. Talk about not being transparent, and intentionally deceptive.

Edit:

Here is the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbruner
Hey guys, my name is Max, I just want to say that I have no experience in engineering, but I found out about quadrotors recently and think they're really cool. I've been looking around for a beginner-friendly quadrotor kit that's less than $300. But I couldn't find one that could lift stuff like cameras and have decent flight time and range. The Parrot drone and those mini-quads are nice, but I want to be able to carry a camera and fly for more than 15 minutes.

I know you can build one, there are all sorts of cool projects on this site, but I don't have that kind of knowledge, so I want a kit that I can just buy and assemble following the instructions. So I'm thinking of starting a quadrotor busines to design something like that and to sell a low-cost quadrotor kit. What do you guys think? I made some sketches earlier about what it would look like, these are kind of old, and I've got some newer stuff that I might post later, but I think they show some neat ideas. I'm planning on putting it on Kickstarter to raise some funding, there are some cool projects on Kickstarter that have raised lots of money, and I think my quadrotor idea could do well.

This is my first blog post, but I'll keep you guys updated about how it's going.
Keep in mind, this was only 2 days ago. He's already scammed $8500, so congratulations I guess?
Last edited by Exploding Fist; Oct 16, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:26 PM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,423 Posts
If you guys just want to give your money away, pm me for my paypal address.

This is obviously a scam. Why would i pledge $$$ to you, so you can build a quad (when you state you don't even know what you are doing)

I could build a quad for under $300 all day, every day.
AcroFPV is offline Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
Quadcopter Addict
Joined Nov 2011
322 Posts

Well, if you look closer at the kickstarter and their site you will see that there is an interesting looking flight control board they appear to be developing. Whether it happens or not, who knows? I am not sure why they are not showcasing the FC to this community.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 01:39 PM
Don't drink and fly
Joined May 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddcopter View Post

Well, if you look closer at the kickstarter and their site you will see that there is an interesting looking flight control board they appear to be developing. Whether it happens or not, who knows? I am not sure why they are not showcasing the FC to this community.
Given that 3 days ago he was making his first post about quads, the fact he has designed and is starting to develop a new flight controller doesn't quite add up. I suspect that he's buying a chinese FC and renaming it, or (more likely) he's making stuff up.