HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:08 PM
Electric Sound Guy
reddogsr's Avatar
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined May 2009
61 Posts
Damon,
I agree with that observation. I have seen good results in a plane when that was sealed off with a foam seal or similar. One thing you might consider in case the ports don't give you what you want is to port it down in the cowl and allow some of it to exit a screen (same color as the cowl maybe). The idea would be to get more sound out downward or side ways. If it's loud enough as it is, you may still notice not enough volume when she's coming at you because its all shooting out the back. Some of the full scale engine sounds that we hear from a full scale engine come from the front also. I hope it works the way you got it now. It will be totally awesome!
By the way, I would love to see her in person when you're ready for the maiden. You're only about 3 hours from me in Ohio.
Greg
reddogsr is offline Find More Posts by reddogsr
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:16 PM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogsr View Post
Damon,
I agree with that observation. I have seen good results in a plane when that was sealed off with a foam seal or similar. One thing you might consider in case the ports don't give you what you want is to port it down in the cowl and allow some of it to exit a screen (same color as the cowl maybe). The idea would be to get more sound out downward or side ways. If it's loud enough as it is, you may still notice not enough volume when she's coming at you because its all shooting out the back. Some of the full scale engine sounds that we hear from a full scale engine come from the front also. I hope it works the way you got it now. It will be totally awesome!
By the way, I would love to see her in person when you're ready for the maiden. You're only about 3 hours from me in Ohio.
Greg
Guys,

I have built more speakers in my life that airplanes. This is a bass reflex design, also know as ported, or reflex port. I have the math of 8-1 for the size of my driver with in the fuse with a sealed box volume, and a passive port of .15 of my drivers. Anything in front of the driver will only effect mid to high range. The reason I have the exhaust mount 1.75 away from the drive is to only catch mid-high frequencies. And low frequencies are produced by my sound box.

Low frequencies are enhanced by the pressure created in the box magnifying what the driver is producing.

I have never heard of adding anything in front of a driver to increase bass, I have made bass cabinets that are designed to control where the bass goes, but that was done with selective baffling.

I am not saying I know everything about driver and everything in a cabinet design, but this should work just fine. I did not just start gluing stuff together to see what I would end up with. There is madness in this design, but it is a design.

Thanks!!!!!

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:19 PM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogsr View Post
Damon,
I agree with that observation. I have seen good results in a plane when that was sealed off with a foam seal or similar. One thing you might consider in case the ports don't give you what you want is to port it down in the cowl and allow some of it to exit a screen (same color as the cowl maybe). The idea would be to get more sound out downward or side ways. If it's loud enough as it is, you may still notice not enough volume when she's coming at you because its all shooting out the back. Some of the full scale engine sounds that we hear from a full scale engine come from the front also. I hope it works the way you got it now. It will be totally awesome!
By the way, I would love to see her in person when you're ready for the maiden. You're only about 3 hours from me in Ohio.
Greg
And I would love to fly here/there for you, what club you close to? Do they have fly-ins???

Great system.....

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Last edited by dag214; Jan 20, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:20 PM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
Dag,
You are going to run a quick test indoors with the new exhaust systems installed and the motor speaker system, so you have some idea what it will sound like?? Knowing you, you have already done it and we will see/ hear the results in a day or two.

Looks awesome.
Conehead
Orrin Eldred
No testing yet, I have to get the wiring harness made and I will post pics soon of that colossal pain in the as_..... thats been.

Rock ON!!!!!!!

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:21 PM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Morgan View Post
Sweet! Great work dag! Can't wait to see her at SEFF.

J
Thanks!!!!!!!!

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:29 PM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,981 Posts
Here is what I got done this afternoon.

The hard part here (time and mind crunching) is I have 2 RX packs that will need charging taps added as the batteries will not be easy to get to once they are buried in the nose, and I have 2 amp/sound system batteries giving my 12 volts which will also be buried and will need charge taps. Plus I need a switch on each circuit as to not be feeding power to any system while charging.

Rock ON!!!!!!!

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:54 PM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,981 Posts
And to explain what I am hoping to do-
By having the exhaust out will let sound leak around and into the cowl allowing some sound out the front, then it is my hope that 50-60% will go out the exhaust, but I would be happy with 20-30%. My bass cabinet is baffled with a port that is ported into the fuse.

We shall see

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:05 PM
obey gravity, it's the law
USA, IL, Rockford
Joined Nov 2005
429 Posts
Have followed your 36 thread, this one and think I remember seeing some helicopter fuselages. You are amazing, your build skills, imaginatio and your attention to detail is just incredible to follow
Flying glass is online now Find More Posts by Flying glass
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:41 PM
Electric Sound Guy
reddogsr's Avatar
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined May 2009
61 Posts
Dag,
Now that you've explained it, I see exactly what you are doing. That should work very well indeed. Initially, I was just wondering was how much was coming out the front and back, you know, would it be enough? With the amount of power you have available, however, it should not be a problem.

I do not belong to a club, but my brother belongs to the Torks RC Club (www.torks.com). They fly at the deer creek state park which is in Mt. Sterling Ohio. They also have events at Darby Dan Airport which is outside of West Jefferson Oh.
reddogsr is offline Find More Posts by reddogsr
Last edited by reddogsr; Jan 20, 2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Additions
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:34 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying glass View Post
Have followed your 36 thread, this one and think I remember seeing some helicopter fuselages. You are amazing, your build skills, imaginatio and your attention to detail is just incredible to follow
Thanks, very kind words.

My little girl always ask me "how did you come up with that!". I guess all my life I have always asked "why is it done that way?"

I have had many failures, but each one has gotten me to where I am today. Plus you have to know your limits to a point, but know when to push them a bit.

I really want a 289" B-52, but all of my math and drawings I have played with just says its to much. To much money (8 fan systems), the wings are so thin no where to put the lipos, just all kinds of problems, plus about $14,000.00, but if I hit the lotto, would be my next project.

Have a great day.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:35 AM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogsr View Post
Dag,
Now that you've explained it, I see exactly what you are doing. That should work very well indeed. Initially, I was just wondering was how much was coming out the front and back, you know, would it be enough? With the amount of power you have available, however, it should not be a problem.

I do not belong to a club, but my brother belongs to the Torks RC Club (www.torks.com). They fly at the deer creek state park which is in Mt. Sterling Ohio. They also have events at Darby Dan Airport which is outside of West Jefferson Oh.
We will plan on hooking up one day...

Thanks, DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:16 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,670 Posts
The problem with a 289" wingspan B-52, would be the 248" fuselage that it would also have...Kind of hard to haul a 20.6666666 foot fuselage unless it would break down into two pieces. I had kicked around the idea of a 10' wingspan B-52, but as the fuselage would still be a little over 9', I didn't build it, as I would have no way to haul it, and the available fans at the time were too big, which would have made the engine nacelles look way too large...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:52 PM
It only takes one good idea
dag214's Avatar
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
The problem with a 289" wingspan B-52, would be the 248" fuselage that it would also have...Kind of hard to haul a 20.6666666 foot fuselage unless it would break down into two pieces. I had kicked around the idea of a 10' wingspan B-52, but as the fuselage would still be a little over 9', I didn't build it, as I would have no way to haul it, and the available fans at the time were too big, which would have made the engine nacelles look way too large...

SteveT.
My idea was to break the fuse behind the rear main gear.

I have my 3D done from a few years back. It would take about 200 hours to 100% design it, then 2 years to build. It would be a glass/foam plane. Very little built up.

DAG
dag214 is offline Find More Posts by dag214
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:06 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
My idea was to break the fuse behind the rear main gear.

I have my 3D done from a few years back. It would take about 200 hours to 100% design it, then 2 years to build. It would be a glass/foam plane. Very little built up.

DAG
A very sound idea!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:48 PM
Registered User
YAT-28E's Avatar
United States, OH, Galloway
Joined Aug 2008
37 Posts
I cannot fathom something tha big that someone is not crawling into to fly...
YAT-28E is offline Find More Posts by YAT-28E
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool Damon Atwood's Emmaselle jsmith285 SEFF 2012 2 Apr 30, 2012 09:11 PM
Question 1919 Emmaselle at SEFF weathervane Giant Electric Planes 4 Sep 30, 2010 12:18 PM
Discussion My First SEFF and my Vintage Emmaselle dag214 SEFF 19 May 05, 2010 07:58 AM
Help! Zig Zag Racer 2 vs. Reef Racer 2 speeding? ihor14448 Racing Boats - Electric 15 Jun 18, 2007 08:15 PM