HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:05 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
May be a really stupid question, but i there a difference between acrylic latex, and just plain acrylic? The reason I ask is, I have gotten acrylic latex before at Glidden in any color I want.

Thanks

DAG
The stuff I get is described as acrylic satin/matt formulated for painting wood and metal,not latex.Glidden(which over here is a "trade"ie used by professionals brand) do a version of this which I have used for decorating.
Stuart
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:57 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,969 Posts
I thought plain acrylic was an enamel based paint and acrylic latex was a water based paint. Since "fuel proofing" is not an issue, the latex should work fine for your application.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 12, 2013, 09:14 AM
It only takes one good idea
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
I thought plain acrylic was an enamel based paint and acrylic latex was a water based paint. Since "fuel proofing" is not an issue, the latex should work fine for your application.
McD
Its not a latex thing, its a drying time thing. Acrylics dry faster. I was wondering if acrylic latex was the same as straight acrylic???

I have used latex a ton, but to properly dry takes weeks....

Thanks

DAG
dag214 is online now Find More Posts by dag214
Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:35 AM
Mexia Izonfia
Monticello, MN
Joined Oct 2003
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
McD
I few years ago I would have told you this:
Acrylic paints were water based that could be thinned with water or alcohol while wet, but become waterproof when dry.
Enamel paints were always oil or solvent based.
Latex paints were what you used to paint houses.

Now the lines have blurred. Start looking around and you will find Acrylic Latex (water based), Acrylic Enamels (both water & solvent based), and even Acrylic Latex Enamel. There are now Catalyzed paints as well, which rely on a hardener just like epoxy or resin to cure rather than dry.

So... In my past experience (limited and humble as it may be) I have found the following to be true of most air dry paints I have used:

Drying time will vary greatly between paint manufacturers even if they claim to be of the same "chemistry".

Drying time will vary greatly between paint finishes even from the same manufacturer.

Gloss finished seem to dry much slower than Flat finishes regardless of the paint chemistry. I believe this is because they need to be applied in heavier coats and they tend to dry from the outside in (they "skin over") trapping the carrier (water or solvent).

Baking finishes for several hours at about 100 degrees will speed drying.

Most "Latex" house paints I've used seem to be "softer" or less durable than "Acrylic" or "Enamel" hobby or craft paints.

Your mileage may vary...
Joel
MetroGTi is offline Find More Posts by MetroGTi
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:15 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,803 Posts
Enjoy

I think she is just right!!!!

EII Sound Test 003 (3 min 5 sec)

DAG
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:22 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,086 Posts
Very Cool!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:25 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Very Cool!!!

SteveT
Thanks!!!!

I kept trying to get my girl to talk to me while I ran it, but she couldn't understand what I was saying to her.......

DAG
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:27 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dag214 View Post
Thanks!!!!

I kept trying to get my girl to talk to me while I ran it, but she couldn't understand what I was saying to her.......

DAG
Plenty of volume then!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:02 PM
Electric Sound Guy
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined May 2009
61 Posts
I am glad you are pleased with it! Try the other engine too, it's also pretty cool.
Greg
reddogsr is offline Find More Posts by reddogsr
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:07 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogsr View Post
I am glad you are pleased with it! Try the other engine too, it's also pretty cool.
Greg
Did it sound distorted to you???? The guy on YouTube said it was badly distorted. Sounds great on my studio speakers, and I was not overdriving my sound system at all... I was peaking at about 65% output and getting about 103-105db. My shop is a concrete room though and I know I am getting some bounceback from that.

Great system and well worth the money......

THANKS!!!!!!!

DAG
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:10 PM
Fishers, Indiana
Joined Oct 2004
5,803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGTi View Post
I few years ago I would have told you this:
Acrylic paints were water based that could be thinned with water or alcohol while wet, but become waterproof when dry.
Enamel paints were always oil or solvent based.
Latex paints were what you used to paint houses.

Now the lines have blurred. Start looking around and you will find Acrylic Latex (water based), Acrylic Enamels (both water & solvent based), and even Acrylic Latex Enamel. There are now Catalyzed paints as well, which rely on a hardener just like epoxy or resin to cure rather than dry.

So... In my past experience (limited and humble as it may be) I have found the following to be true of most air dry paints I have used:

Drying time will vary greatly between paint manufacturers even if they claim to be of the same "chemistry".

Drying time will vary greatly between paint finishes even from the same manufacturer.

Gloss finished seem to dry much slower than Flat finishes regardless of the paint chemistry. I believe this is because they need to be applied in heavier coats and they tend to dry from the outside in (they "skin over") trapping the carrier (water or solvent).

Baking finishes for several hours at about 100 degrees will speed drying.

Most "Latex" house paints I've used seem to be "softer" or less durable than "Acrylic" or "Enamel" hobby or craft paints.

Your mileage may vary...
Joel
Thanks!!!!!!!
I am on a mission now

Rock ON!!!!!!

DAG
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:27 PM
Electric Sound Guy
Joined May 2009
61 Posts
I've had distortion on video cams trying to record in garages, etc, where you have a lot of echo, etc. It sounded great to me. Did you watch the video on you tube after uploading?
When you get it outside and record away from the plane, it will be totally different. If you record at a much lower volume when in the garage, while close to the plane, the video will be better. That way it doesn't pick up all of the echo which tends to cancel the live sound from the speakers.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:30 PM
Electric Sound Guy
Joined May 2009
61 Posts
What did you think of the other radial sound?
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:15 PM
Cookies Good - Bacon Better
Portland, Oregon
Joined Sep 2008
1,584 Posts
250 MPH standing still and unfinished. Can't wait for the finished product!!!!
NoMatta is offline Find More Posts by NoMatta
Old Jan 13, 2013, 02:20 PM
SENTA A PUAAA!!!
Brazil, RJ, Miguel Pereira
Joined Apr 2007
919 Posts
Niiiice video, Damon!! Thanks for sharing!
Wilian Amaral is offline Find More Posts by Wilian Amaral