HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by igotit, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:31 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
Trader Rating: 24
Thanx guys,everyone that paid is put on the order,sofar i got 9 sets made and in transit.waiting for a few other sets to be made.lets hold off on paypaling more money untill i hear back from my vendor,were 12 hours apart,so communication with him is a lil slow.i dont want to overload the guy,just making sure he can keep up with the demand.
igotit is offline Find More Posts by igotit
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 11:58 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
Spoke with my vendor,he told me to hold off on orders for the moment,he is out of stock material.
After these 10 sets are made,it will take him a few weeks to get stock and make another 10 sets to ship out to me.
Once he notifies me,ill post back up.
Thanx!
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:06 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
Still waiting for the gear sets to arrive from south africa.
Ill post up as soon i get them.im offshore for upto 4 weeks,ill try to get my wife to ship out the sets in the order payment was recieved.7 sets should arrive soon,followed by 2-4 sets.i have 7 sets on back order.ill keep you posted,thanx for your patience.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:45 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,861 Posts
Trader Rating: 68
You work on an oil platform out in the gulf?
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:05 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
I work on a derick barge with a 800 ton crane on it,we dismantle non producing oil platforms in the gulf of mexico.im a mechanic/engineer,i get to work on lots of cranes and winches.
I work a 28&14 schedule,work for 28 days,take 14 days off.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:31 AM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,861 Posts
Cool job,
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:42 PM
Registered User/CLMYG
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2009
765 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Are you taking any more orders?
ClassicBoats is offline Find More Posts by ClassicBoats
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:04 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
Ok.....today 5 gearsets came in,my wife will ship them out usps,padded envolope with tracking.
In a day or two i should have 2 more sets here,those are paid for already.
I have sets on back order,4 of those sets are already paid for,just waiting for machinist to get more phosphor bronze and make some more gears.
So my austrailia and denmark customers may have to wait a little longer.they have paid me,but my vender wants to make the gears before i pay him.

I can take orders now,but they are on back order...may be over a mth before gear vender catches up.
If you wanna pay now...its fine,if you wanna wait till i post i have gears ready its fine aswell.
If you want to post....i want a set,put your money aside and when i know i have gears comming,ill pm you in the order you posted to get you a set comming.
Thanx.

These 5 that are being shiped,i havent inspected them,due to me being offshore.but if you have any quality issues...please pm me or post here before flamming me.remember...these are prototypes.

Also remember to properly set the mesh,shim as needed,properly lubricate before use.lock down sets screws.id check gear slop every run,pull the guts for re-grease and inspection every few runs.adjust gear mesh if needed.if all that is done right....these should last awhile.i was hard on my test set....they are still in great shape.
I run a special oil made by baton rouge industries,blend is called m-26....expensive.($300 per 5 gallons)its basically 90wt gear oil,mixed with marine grease.a process which involves boiling the oil,then adding the marine grease to the oil.
But you can mix your own without boiling it.boiling the mix bonds the 2 together,without boiling it...the mix breaks down over time.which will be fine for our use.
Later on ill start to sell this oil in 20 oz bottles...something like $10-$12 per 20oz shipped.
Just gear oil will slowly leak out the gland,just greese isnt fluid enough to properly lube the gears.
The m-26 blend is just right.i lube my gland with a thicker silicone greese to keep water out and oil in.dow cornering valve lubricant to be exact.i think it valve lubricant 111,ill double check that tomorrow.
Last edited by igotit; Oct 26, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:49 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
Heres another note.
I have a nib ep-1,last week was the first time it was pulled out the box,i instantly checked the gear mesh...it had lots of slop,i could roll the prop almost a 1/4 turn before the gears meshed.
I believe if hobbico would have put better quality control into these....they would still be sold today.
I shot a short vid of my out the box slop.after that i pulled the gears out,only to find hard dark brown greese.
I think if meshed properly with good lube,the stock brass would last awhile.
I think ill post up a ad looking for broken ep-1s,now that i know we can get gears....lol.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:41 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
5 gear sets have been shipped to Tom Keliher,Mitch Landry,Donald Miller,John Wright .
And one gear set to austrilia.....i forgot the name of the buyer though....lol.
Ill find it.
Please post up once you recieve it,looking foward to your thoughts.
Thanx nick
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
Gear vender notified me he will ship 7 more sets tomorrow,i have 4 of those sets sold already.
That leaves 3 sets left to sell.
Just waiting for my vender to mail me a invoice so i can pay him.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:01 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
22,861 Posts
I received my gears today, thanks!
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:24 AM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
No problem kmot....thank you.
Ill leave feedback for everyone eventually,takes forever offshore to load pages.nothing but positive sofar.

Its been brought to my attention that my wife used standard envolopes instead of padded ones....sorry.ill get on her bout this,she doesnt relize how important these gears are.
The gear also arrive sandwiched in masking tape from my vendor,this is to prevet losing the gears in transit....in the event the envolope gets a small hole in it.
So that will require us to remove the tape residue from the gears before use.if im home for the next few sets,ill do that,and put the gears in bubble wrap.
Either way....were getting a great deal on these gears.
Thanx guys.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 12:39 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,259 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
I received my gears today, they look great.
Thank You.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jun 2008
1,323 Posts
i recieved 2 more sets yesterday,monday ill ship out 1 set to mr welch.
when i recieve the next batch, mr jacobson,and mr jerzak will get their 2 sets each.i thank you all for being patient.

sofar thats 10 sets sold,7 sets shipped out.waiting for the remaining sets to arrive before i take more orders.
id like to get ahead and stock up 10 sets at a time,sell em and ship em after i recieve them....but as of now this is a built to order kinda deal.if i could get ahead and stock them,your wait after you have paid would only be a few days.
Last edited by igotit; Nov 04, 2012 at 10:00 PM.