HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:31 AM
narrowboater
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Discussion
Futaba t6j transmitter

Hi all. I've just bought one of the new Futaba T6J radio sets to use with both my Caldercraft 'Talacre' and the Fairmile 'D' I am in the process of building. The instructions that come with the unit are all designed for aircraft and never having flown a rc aircraft it is mostly gobbledegook to me. I have managed to get the set working on the Talacre in a fashion except that as the throttle is designed to operate with the stick fully down at startup (as you would for a non-reversing aircraft!!) the alarm goes off when I centre the stick for a boat. I have ignored the alarm and got it so that I do have forward and reverse (don't know how I did it!) but reverse is now faster that forward.
Has anyone got one of these Futaba T6J sets and managed to set it up for boats and if so can you let me know what to do - preferably in plain English? Any advice and/or information would be gratefully received.
narrowboater is offline Find More Posts by narrowboater
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:51 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Did you read about the system features before you bought it ?

You missed the part about this system is designed for planes & helicopters.

Your best hope is to phone or E Mail Futaba & ask for Technical Assistance.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:20 PM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
I love my T6J - it's more reliable than any other set I've owned.
The almost instant start up and response after signal loss beats all my Spektrums where that delay caused my sailboat winch to go into failsafe.

The throttle alarm just means I have to put the lever down before switching on, or if I forget, after the alarm sounds just flick the lever down and back again.

It's a good safety feature especially for aircraft where the unintended propeller start up could hurt someone. Actually for my sailboat it is the opposite, as zero throttle risks the winch pulling tight and jamming if there is anything in the way, so I go to mid position before switching the receiver on..

For a conventional power boat (or vehicle) why not fit the a centering spring on the throttle arm and do as I described above to avoid or kill the alarm.

The maximum speed forward and reverse can be adusted using the end point adjustments on the transmitter or by programming your speed controller (assuming it is electronic and not an ancient resistor type).
expat flyer is offline Find More Posts by expat flyer
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2012
25 Posts
Wouldn't it be easy enough, assuming it's electric...to just swap two wires on the motor. Forward would then be faster than reverse... or might be just reversing the servo control in the TX?
RoadkillStewie is offline Find More Posts by RoadkillStewie
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:43 AM
narrowboater
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
Thanks for that everyone. I have had a reply from Futaba and they say there is no way to actually programme the 6J to accept centre stick on the throttle, you have to just switch on the transmitter with the lever all the way down then just move it to the centre - that way the alarm doesn't sound (just like you said expatflyer). I intend to switch the left stick from a ratchet to spring loaded eventually. I did read the blurb on the transmitter before I bought it and it had all the features I wanted for my MTB, particularly a channel 6 control which will allow me to train the guns left and right as I want them instead of it being 'automatic'.
narrowboater is offline Find More Posts by narrowboater
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:10 AM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
Switch ??

Contact Futaba again. Ask if you can have the factory swap out the throttle stick. Or simply exchange the spring loaded right stick pot & the plug on it to the left side. Or just switch plugs & add a spring centering left lever.

If I can think of possible conversions.........A good experienced factory tech should.

No solution from a tech...........Hang up wait 10 minutes & call back. Ask for customer service manager............Sometimes you have to go up the ladder to get the job done. Works for me.

There is also a guy on Rc Universe or Groups that runs a certified RC repair center. He could definately do what you want in a heartbeat.

PM me if Futaba is a No help.

Rich
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2