HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2001, 03:23 PM
Joined Oct 2001
26 Posts
Rally-XP

Has anyone tried the Rally-XP from Herr Engineering? It looks
interesting, but there does not appear to be any information on it outside of the very small description Herr Eng provides. Looks like a glider, not even sure if it is? Any comments appreciated.

Bob
Bob81 is offline Find More Posts by Bob81
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2001, 09:23 PM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Feb 2001
256 Posts
I just recently purchased the Rally. The plane is not a true glider. It uses a S280 motor. I haven't built it yet but looking at the kit, it should only take a few days to completely assemble it.

Al
atsiang is offline Find More Posts by atsiang
Old Nov 17, 2001, 12:39 AM
ny
Joined Dec 2000
1,270 Posts
Same with me got one more than a month ago and it just sits there in the box, maybe sometime this winter looks like a great floater.
russ6421 is offline Find More Posts by russ6421
Old Nov 17, 2001, 01:33 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
I don't have one but if it's like most (all?) Herr kits, it'll be GREAT. I believe Herr Engineering is currently one of the best kit manufacturers around today. Just my opinion based on what I've observed while building 2 of their airplanes.
A modeler producing models for modelers.
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Nov 17, 2001, 11:26 AM
DAve caNDI,& 5#'s of fury
Oscoda, MI :)
Joined Jan 2001
529 Posts
I have been lookin at that one myself, and havent purchased it yet. Put a folder on it and youy have what seems to be a cool small glider.
Dandi6065 is offline Find More Posts by Dandi6065
Old Nov 18, 2001, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2001
26 Posts
All ... Please let me know how your building and flying experiences turn out with the Rally. Do the instructions call for any washout on the wings?

The Rally looks alot like the Skimmer, which has been reported
on the sailplanes forum to tip stall very easily.

What size prop comes with the kit and who makes a suitable
folding prop of the same size?
Old Jun 28, 2002, 02:02 AM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
I am having problems reading the plans as this is the first kit i have built. It is the fuse i am having problems with. Anyone have some build pics?

Mal
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Aug 31, 2002, 09:37 PM
Senior Moment
Woburn, MA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
624 Posts
Mine is almost done. Still have to put on the tail and fill up the fuse with the e-gear.
The Econ-O-kote suff I used wasn't real easy to use and it looks like a bad ARF! Okay, so I was in a hurry..

Anyway, I think this is going to be a bit on the heavy side for the ($2.85) S-280 motor I found at the LHS.
If I get to work on it, it might fly this weekend..
Rich<>
rlt55 is offline Find More Posts by rlt55
Old Sep 01, 2002, 01:34 AM
San Fernando Valley, CA
Joined Apr 2002
63 Posts
Have you used the search function.

Type Rally-xp and press Enter (you cannot enter Rally XP as xp is below the minimum 3 letters in a word.

I've posted pics and have finished the polyhedral wing and it flys much better. A few hard landings have made my press fit motor mount too loose.

Tip stall, YES very much so. I added a 1" 1/32" extension to the rudder to added turning, but it still is a hold and wait then too much, then tip stall. I have my CG right on per plans.

I would redesign the rudder to be more vertical and be larger. I also added lighting holes, the IPS motor and 270NiMH batt, and I'm still at 283gr AUW.

Washout you'd better.

I may up the power to either a DX (dual IPS 4:1) or one of the new brushless 280's.

HTH

JeffP....
P.S. I'm now flying the GWS J3 CUB and I'm learning to fly and hope to have a better experience w/the rally when I get her reconfigured.
JeffP is offline Find More Posts by JeffP
Last edited by JeffP; Sep 01, 2002 at 01:41 AM.
Old Sep 02, 2002, 10:35 AM
Senior Moment
Woburn, MA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
624 Posts
CG is where?

I think the CG is shown on the plans as a little circle with an 'X' in it with two sides blacked out.. That's it, right?

Anyways to get a CG that's not out on the TE, I had to go with a larger pack (KR-600AE 8 cell) in the nose and push the motor out a bunch. Don't know if I can really mount it out there.
(Don't think it would take a hard landing).

I had planed to use a S-400 motor, but didn't change the mount when I was building the fuse. (Didn't plan ahead)!
Now I've got a 280 motor and it's too light for the tail.

So,
A. Don't make the tail heavy (I painted mine with Epoxy).
B. Move the servos forward (I followed the plans).
C. Use a heavy motor.
D. Be carefull adding wash-out. One wing is now totally twisted out of shape
E. Buy an ARF
Old Sep 02, 2002, 10:40 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Does this plane have ailo's?
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Sep 02, 2002, 11:41 AM
Senior Moment
Woburn, MA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
624 Posts
If you mean Air-ler-rons, nope..
It's plain old Rudder & Elevator.
Rich<>
Old Sep 02, 2002, 01:07 PM
Joined Oct 2001
26 Posts
Experience with Rally-XP

I finished my Rally XP some time ago and have been making small adjustments over the last few months. Here is how it ended up. I built it exactly IAW the plans, covered the wing and most of the tail in transparent Monokote, the fuse with regular Monokote. The wing weighs 1.94 oz, the fuse is 5.58 oz (using HS-55's and 555 rx). With the 3.25 oz 7-cell 720 mAh NiMh battery the total weight came to 10.77 oz. I started with about one cm of washout on each wing panel, but that seemed to be killing the L/D so I went to about 5 mm. This seems to work fine and I have not had one tip stall in over 30 flights. I moved the battery all the way aft in the battery compartment to find the best CG. I definitely have maximum throw on the rudder. I also use a GWS 5x3 prop with a GWS spinner (1.5 mm shaft) instead of the white Zagi prop. The climb rate is only slightly less but the motor does not get hot like it did with the stock prop. I also could not keep the stock prop on the shaft even with glue.

The best part about this model is the 20-25 minute flight time (using throttle management) in no lift conditions. This is a very relaxing plane to fly.

Bob
Old Sep 02, 2002, 04:27 PM
Addicted to Feigao...
Lakewood, CA
Joined Sep 2001
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlt55
Be carefull adding wash-out. One wing is now totally twisted out of shape
Watch out when shrinking the covering because the trailing edge can become waves very quickly. After that mishap, I cut the TE off, replacing it w/ a longer TE (about an inch and a half), CA'ed in an undercambered fashion. Even with a speed400 it glided better than stock.

My XP flew very well with the stock 280 and a 6-3 folding prop, which drains the 280's battery a little too fast. With that setup, I could only get 2 runs to altitude, but, flight times were generally 20-35 min. With minor thermal activity. Also, a 555 rx is MANDATORY!

Next up for the rally is a cd-rom brushless speed280 replacement which happens to fit very nicely inside. My only problem is a seized bearing that needs to be replaced.

Happy Landings!
Kid.
Kidknight is offline Find More Posts by Kidknight
Old Sep 07, 2002, 08:39 PM
Senior Moment
Woburn, MA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
624 Posts
Checked out the Rally-XP this morning.

It wanted to turn left, (due to the warp in the left wing) and would not turn right until I backed off on the power.
(It was a little better after adding some rudder offset trim).
On the third launch, it went into some weeds and the motor stopped working.
Maybe a broken solder connection on the motor or a bad ESC.
The BEC, rx & servos were still okay.

I built this plane on the heavy side. It's 16 oz with a KR-600AE 8 cell pack. I glassed the horizontal stab and painted the whole tail with epoxy. If I ever get it flying, I just might spray paint the tail red..

Just watching the launch, I'm not sure that a Speed-280 has got enough power to fly (using the stock prop) it at this weight.
After I repair or replace the wing, I'm going to have to order a S-400 and give that a try.

Rich<>