SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:06 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetech09 View Post
No, the capPack reduces voltage spikes between the battery and the ESC.

What you want is this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Protector.html
Sorry IMHO that is brownout snake-oil.

You must solve power issues other ways. The Cap Spektrum introduced was specifically for the Car guys racing on carpet.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:51 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Sorry IMHO that is brownout snake-oil.

You must solve power issues other ways. The Cap Spektrum introduced was specifically for the Car guys racing on carpet.

Mike
Would that be to reduce risk of ESD due to static buildup? If so I can fully see the need for that on a car/carpet system.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:08 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,498 Posts
I do believe it had to do with static yes. So the car guys benefit for sure - just not air.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:07 AM
Joined Dec 2011
118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Sunday View Post
Hey there kids. Well here we are again. I'm afraid it has happened again. Although this time it was not pilot error this time it was a bona fide brown out.

Today I put my lovely Kyosho ME109 in the air and she was flying beautifuly albeit a little underpowered. She was running 6 servos so I used a fully charged life battery to power the Spektrum AR6200 receiver. It was great until I took her high, rolled her onto her back and dove whilst levelling out. It was all going so well and she was almost level when I noticed no response from any of the controls. I thought she was level enough to maybe hopefuly skid across the runnway but alas she was in many peices. It certainly didn' t look like a plane any more.

As I walked the walk of shame I tried moving the sticks and low and behold life returned. Earlier the range check went well so I was not worried. My Spektrum DX8 is like new. I learned how to bind ages ago. I've been so cautious lately that I'm beside myself. How did it go wrong?????

I truely feel this is not my fault but that of the manufacturers. Has anyone ever won a dispute on a faulty product? Kind of bummed out.

On a brighter note though. I went on to have 3 more flights with my starmax f18 which were fun, exciting stress free flights. It uses an Orange receiver and I gotta tell you... I trust it more than I trust the name brand at the moment.

Thanks for listening guys.
My 2p's worth.
The AR6200 is only a DSM2 receiver, which is good, but only occupies 2 separate frequencies on the 2.4 spectrum.
The DX8 is backwards compatible with the DSM2, but features DSMx with is a spread spectrum frequency hopping system, more resilient to interference.
I used to use a DX6, which is also dsm2, but notices brownouts when parkflying nearish to houses.
my conclusion was that domestic wifi (also 2.4ghz) interferes with RC radios.
My current radio is a turnigy 9x radio which also has full spread spectrum technology and utilises frequency hopping (Thanks Bruce). My wife complains it knocks out the wifi when I'm at home testing which is the way I like it...
Jase1973 is offline Find More Posts by Jase1973
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:56 AM
United States, NM, Holloman AFB
Joined Oct 2007
86 Posts
I've had a brown out with an official 6200 that came in a H9 P51 RTF. It led to a crashed and smashed P51 and I found out first hand that the 6200's ARE at fault and the claims maid against them are true. Now that I've switched over to the 6210's I haven't had a single problem. Maybe that's why spektrum has phased out the 6200.
F16DCC is offline Find More Posts by F16DCC
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:33 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,565 Posts
I have flown AR6200 for a few years and never had a problem. I also fly with the ones that Target Hobby sells. No problems. That said, I do run external UBECs to guard against brownouts.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 03:20 AM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Similar story here. My Phoenix 2000 went into a full throttle dive and got totally destroyed. Came down 5 meters from a parked car. Tis should never have happened. Happened just after the usual climb to about 100m hight and levelling out, throttle cut, fresh battery. Used an Orange receiver with satellite and Spektrum DX6i. All electronic bits where working fine after I picked up the pieces and powered up again. I had a similar crash 5 month ago, same TX but Spektrum RX. No pilot error possible. Controls all dead. Any reason why I should not suspect the DX6i TX? Also, recently the D/R settings of my Pitts mysteriously changed to 100%. What?? I don't trust the TX any longer. Have ordered an Orange TX. Tony
scarborofun is offline Find More Posts by scarborofun
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:25 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarborofun View Post
What?? I don't trust the TX any longer. Have ordered an Orange TX. Tony
You might want to check the forums for quality reports before you do that....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:36 PM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
You might want to check the forums for quality reports before you do that....

Mike
Thanks Mike, a valid point.
So far I have not heard of a lost plane with Orange TX/RX. You could say they have been too short a time on the market, true. But I have lost two planes with Spektrum myself and heard of many more. Though that's obviously anecdotal evidence. Unless someone runs a TX/RX system over say a thousand hours under realistic conditions, with a spectrum analyser and data loggers attached and nails the fault, one can't be sure.
Once I have lost trust it's hard to get it back, unless the problem has been acknowledged, pinpointed and was dealt with. It may not be a hardware problem. We have heard about the runaway Toyotas and know that software is rarely 100% fail safe. From my point of view an Orange can't be much worse than a Spektrum. Why not test it?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:57 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,498 Posts
I think your bigger issue is the LCD's are failing, kinda hard to program when the screen does not work. The forum shows the other issues they are having with the TX too.

I have not seen in flight issues though. I just think the quality is very suspect - as with most HK stuff.

Horizon stands behind their stuff - send it in tell them what is going on. Have it checked out. O and try a AR400 receiver while you are at it.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by pda4you; Feb 25, 2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:32 AM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,573 Posts
I've had signal losses with Spektrum and OrangeRX... but since I've forced all satellites to be external and attempted to expose the primary RX antenna - I've had zero issues. Hundreds of flights.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 26, 2013, 07:58 PM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
I think your bigger issue is the LCD's are failing, kinda hard to program when the screen does not work. The forum shows the other issues they are having with the TX too.

I have not seen in flight issues though. I just think the quality is very suspect - as with most HK stuff.

Horizon stands behind their stuff - send it in tell them what is going on. Have it checked out. O and try a AR400 receiver while you are at it.

Mike
Yes, HK do have a quality problem. You get what you pay for. I had a receiver once that had a short between 2 servo signal outputs (through hole connector pin 0.1" pitch!). Impossible that a real QC would pass it. Short removed, all ok. I feel confident to fix things if they are fixable.

Horizon have good service. I'd get the AR400, sounds like a good deal. Except that I need 2 aileron servos on most planes.

Tony
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:00 PM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I've had signal losses with Spektrum and OrangeRX... but since I've forced all satellites to be external and attempted to expose the primary RX antenna - I've had zero issues. Hundreds of flights.
I don't quite understand what you mean with external and expose.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 08:12 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarborofun View Post
I don't quite understand what you mean with external and expose.
Satellites are taped outside the frame (including wing). The RX antenna (separate from the satellite and its antenna) should be poking outside if possible. If not, keep them away from metal, carbon fiber, electronics, etc.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:28 PM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Satellites are taped outside the frame (including wing). The RX antenna (separate from the satellite and its antenna) should be poking outside if possible. If not, keep them away from metal, carbon fiber, electronics, etc.
Thanks. I asked because I've always considered the attenuation by what we use as fuselage material as insignificant, I may have been wrong. Got to read up, RF is not my forte. One thing will help though: In the DX6i setup one should set the country to 'USA' to get the highest RF power output.
If anyone has a list of standard RF attenuations at 2.4GHz in different materials please let me know. Google has let me down so far.

I am afraid that we may be getting off topic a bit, isn't a brownout defined as an under voltage or fluctuation of the supply voltage?

Cheers

Tony