HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:56 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
New Product
Mini StingRay for Indoor Streamer Combat with Plans and Video

Bz1mcr (Don) and I were invited to attend a Skymasters meeting this past Tuesday night to present what we do as Strong RC Motors LLC, Ken's CAD Models, and Model Plane Foam Inc. Also indoor streamer combat was discussed at length. Great meeting and lots of interest in this activity.

The StingRay got alot of attention, as many pilots there owned one. By the end of the discussion, the desire was to have a scaled StingRay if possible for this activity. To that end it is my pleasure to introduce you to the;

Mini StingRay
Wingspan - 24"
Wing Area - 137 sq. in.
Motor - 10g 2000 Kv
Propeller - GWS 6 x 3
Battery - Thunder Power 350 mAh 2s
Servos - HXT 5g units
Actual AUW - 110g w/17g motor
Control Throw Setup - Elevator and Ailerons 50% expo at high and low rates..25" low rate, .5" high rate.

There is 1 meter of .051" carbon fiber rod reinforcement, a 22.5" long 3mm carbon tube spar, and a 10.75" length of the same tube material longitudinally placed in the fuselage.

"Floats like a Butterfly and sting like Bee"

Ken

Enjoy the plans and scratchbuilding.

I am making kits available for $21.99 each which includes CNC cut "Model Plane Foam", laser cut control horns, hand cut firewall (until I get this sourced for laser cutting), and carbon spar and reinforcements.

To order a kit, go to www.kenscadmodels.com and click on Products tab then StingRays sub tab. You can order direct through the website. Shipping is through USPS Priority Mail.

Build Notes
  • 30-60 minutes build time.
  • Adhesive used was Beacons "Foam Tac" for entire airframe except the control horns and firewall. Gorilla Glue "White Formula" was used for those components.
  • Make sure you are getting 100% coverage with the Foam Tac. Leaving areas without adhesive will result is a weak assembly.
  • Follow directions on the glue bottle unless noted otherwise. I have found most of the time the glue needs only a couple of minutes for setup time. The bottle says 10-20 minutes.
Build instructions
  1. Have all parts of your build in front (kit) in front of you with the carbon cut to length.
  2. Begin assembly by installing the carbon fiber in the wing panel. I just squeeze some Foam Tac into the slots and press the carbon in. Then wipe any excess glue away. There is no need to get glue on both parts and let sit before reassembly for the carbon parts.
  3. Assemble the fuselage halves with the carbon tube reinforcement. While the glue sits breifly for setup you can bevel the ailerons.
  4. Install beveled ailerons to the wing panel with a strip of lightwieght clear packing tape. I use the cheap $1 per roll "Duck" brand.
  5. Now cover one side of the horizontal fuselage part with Foam Tac. Being sure not put glue on the battery area. Press this into place on the bottom of the wing panel (the side with carbon installed on it) and pull apart to allow the glue to set up. Then reassemble being careful to keep alinged as you set it down. It becomes immoveable very quickly.
  6. Now install the pre-assembled fuselage.
  7. Next comes the fuselage doublers.
  8. Turn model over and install the vertical stabilizer.
  9. The model is very easy to handle at this point and everything fees secure.
  10. Now add the firewall and control horns with Gorilla Glue. Tape the firewall in place to prevent movement and control any foaming.
  11. Your airframe is now fully assembled, and you've done so in about 30 minutes. Set aside to allow glues to more fully cure.
  12. Bend up your pushrods. I highly recommend using the specified hardware. Keeping this model light is key to a great flying model and low risk of tail heaviness.
  13. Sand leading edges round and fair the fuselage doublers along with the tail end of the fuselage to the vertical stabilizer.
  14. Place some lightwieght clear packing tape on the leading edge to help prevent damage to your wings.
  15. Install your equipment, bind your Rx and set up your Tx.
  16. Go out or in and have some fun streamer combat with friends.
Control Throw Settings
Low rates should get .25" displacement up and down.
High rates .5" displacements. 50% expo at high and low rates.
Once you are comfortable at these settings, you can dial them up as you like.
Elevons are set at neutral, no reflex.
Depending on CG this could change.

Mini StingRay Flight Report

The first flight was with a Turnigy 2211 1700Kv motor. I do not have my 10g one yet. This motor was 17g on my scale. So, I could not help but put the first one up this morning since this is the first time I have had one of these Turnigy motors. Its pretty windy outside, so I opted for a 3s battery (Thunderpower 325mAh 45C 3s).

Of course I was not towing a streamer, but on 3s this thing is just ballistic. The CG was a little forward, and in power off it felt like I could not get enough up elevator, but that makes sense for a forward CG on these wings. This just lets me know it will tolerate a more aft CG which is fine. Under power though this was not very noticable. Plane tracks very solid like its larger sibliing and handled the wind without a problem in spite of being only 4 oz. Will test on 2s when we get out to the park.

This baby is going to be a hoot with the 10g motor. Less weight on the nose and probably can fly long enough with a 250 mAh battery for indoor streamer combat.

Edit 18-OCT-2012: Got the 10g motor on today and changed to a 6A esc. AUW dropped to 90g (3.17 oz.). Flew it indoors at work on lunch with a 5x3 prop. This is a very quiet motor, and the only noise you hear is the propeller. Easily staying aloft at less than half throttle. I was not able to really open it up, but the thrust to weight ratio is more than 1.38:1 (The reported thrust on HK is 4.375 oz with a GWS 5x3 at 7.4V). 3.0 A draw equals 22.2 watts input which if I have not made a mistake = 112 watts per lb. All this is based on the 3.17 oz. AUW.

Going to test one of these on there when it comes in. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7338

Source for Foam Tac Glue: https://www.signaturecrafts.com/cata...roducts_id=222
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Added control throw settings.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:10 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Video of shakedown flight. Battery showed I still had 75% of capacity at the end of this flight.

Ken

Mini StingRay shakedown (2 min 11 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:16 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,134 Posts
Interesting Ken!

I notice you didn't do a KF wing. This might be the first time i can remember you doing a non-airfoiled wing... at least in a very long time.

Make sure you bring it with you when we finally meet up. I want to check it out!
SGTalon is online now Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:07 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
Interesting Ken!

I notice you didn't do a KF wing. This might be the first time i can remember you doing a non-airfoiled wing... at least in a very long time.

Make sure you bring it with you when we finally meet up. I want to check it out!
Dennis,

The concept here is lightweight for indoor use.

I have a matched pair with me. Dueling wings!

I am excited to get the 10g motor on here along with the 250mAh battery. AUW will drop to 96g. could even go to less with a 6A esc.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:16 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
Fantastic! Beautiful job Ken! Even the price is right. I'll take two as soon as you can cut the kits.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:26 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts

Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:30 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Fantastic! Beautiful job Ken! Even the price is right. I'll take two as soon as you can cut the kits.
I will have them for you Tuesday.

A quick calculation - 300 mAh batteries with a 3 amp draw should yield 6 minutes WOT.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Oct 15, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Nov 2011
78 Posts
That looks like a fun little stingray to fly can't waite to get some free time to make one and try for myself! As usual great job Ken

Jimbo
Jimbo29 is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo29
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, NY, Olean
Joined Sep 2008
76 Posts
I'm in! this looks cool, our indoor starts in aout 2 weeks I think i'll buid a few and pass e'm out to the boys jus so I fave someone to battle with
crash&fix612 is offline Find More Posts by crash&fix612
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,276 Posts
Thanks for the very simple plans Dz

Like you said,easy fast build!!!

Pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:25 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Wow, that was fast Pete!

Looks like you have 10g motor on it. Post some video if possible of the flight. I am still waiting for my 10g unit.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 06:51 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,276 Posts
ya i also have the 5grammer also, bringing that to field also to test out, have 2 and 3 cell 200 up to 450's to test out on sat, will report back to ya!

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:57 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Quite tickled today. The 10g motor arrived yesterday, and this morning I got it all wired up to a 6A esc. Took the motor wire off the esc and soldered it direct, got the JST plug on and weighed the two components. 14g vs 28g for the 2211-1700 motor with a 10A esc combo. So now the AUW with the 10g motor, 5x3 prop, 6A esc and 250 mAh 2s battery is an even 90g or 3.17 oz. I am excited! Can't hardly wait until lunchtime to try it out.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:39 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Definately interested to see how it does on that set up.
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:24 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy JFlyer View Post
Definately interested to see how it does on that set up.
Here you go Jimmy! Will get some video next Tuesday. Flew it indoors at work on lunch. This is a very quiet motor, and the only noise you hear is the propeller. Easily staying aloft at less than half throttle. I was not able to really open it up, but the thrust to weight ratio is more than 1.38:1 (The reported thrust on HK is 4.375 oz with a GWS 5x3 at 7.4V). 3.0 A draw equals 22.2 watts input which if I have not made a mistake = 112 watts per lb. All this is based on the 3.17 oz. AUW.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Oct 18, 2012 at 12:38 PM.